Fish Based Grain Free Foods

LisaCC

That sux. I can't even find a map or anything on there. Have you tried adding something to the cart? The bit I read said as long as their courier delivers there, it will be ok, and it says their courier is australia post?! Weird...

Yea I used their calculator at checkout.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm looking at switching Nova (almost 7 month old male Aussie) to a grain free food as he's had increasingly itchy paws and now one has become infected due to it being damp (being treated). Talking with my Vet he agrees that it could be a grain allergy especially as we spent two weeks at my Mums house and the itching continued there.

I'm looking at foods I can readily buy in town, I checked them out today and saw Holistic Select Grain Free - Salmon and Anchovy - Adult and Puppy formula

I'd love to hear some experiences with this food or other recommendations. I've heard Canidae is great but it's not available here and shipping costs a fortune.

Hi LisaCC,

I have a 2.5 year old Aussie that has a tendency to get itchy too. No formal diagnosis but I have put her on a grainfree diet. I alternate between Holistic Select (anchovy, salmon etc) and Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. I prefer the Coastal Catch (unfortunately small kibble sizes) but go with whatever is on special when I buy it. I'm really happy with both and I think Kyte is less itchy.

I'm also looking at trying the BlackHawk fish and potato food next time. Same cost but for 20 kg bag rather than a 13 kg bag.

I'm also in the same boat as you re: shipping. It costs $5 to get food to Perth and $56 to get food to me in the southwest! I did get some through PetStock recently and that was free shipping, even to where I live so was really happy about that.

My Siberian sometimes gets infected paws due to licking too - I would highly recommend getting some sledding booties - I recommend this to EVERY dog owner. Booties are great to have in the first aid kit. Whenever my girl start licking her foot now I notice straight away. If I catch her licking it twice, then I put cortisone cream on it, add a bootie (baby socks work as well, but they aren't as tough) and then tape in on with sports/strapping tape. I also give it a rinse with some antiseptic too. She will get the bootie off eventually during the day but normally stays on all night which gives the foot a chance to heal.

Goodluck with your search!

Edited by Tumbleweed

Which Holistic Select have you used as the Grain free is very new to Oz. Also, doesn't the Blackhawk Fish and Potato have rice and oats? Just curious as you mentioned grain free food.

I'm looking at switching Nova (almost 7 month old male Aussie) to a grain free food as he's had increasingly itchy paws and now one has become infected due to it being damp (being treated). Talking with my Vet he agrees that it could be a grain allergy especially as we spent two weeks at my Mums house and the itching continued there.

I'm looking at foods I can readily buy in town, I checked them out today and saw Holistic Select Grain Free - Salmon and Anchovy - Adult and Puppy formula

I'd love to hear some experiences with this food or other recommendations. I've heard Canidae is great but it's not available here and shipping costs a fortune.

Hi LisaCC,

I have a 2.5 year old Aussie that has a tendency to get itchy too. No formal diagnosis but I have put her on a grainfree diet. I alternate between Holistic Select (anchovy, salmon etc) and Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch. I prefer the Coastal Catch (unfortunately small kibble sizes) but go with whatever is on special when I buy it. I'm really happy with both and I think Kyte is less itchy.

I'm also looking at trying the BlackHawk fish and potato food next time. Same cost but for 20 kg bag rather than a 13 kg bag.

I'm also in the same boat as you re: shipping. It costs $5 to get food to Perth and $56 to get food to me in the southwest! I did get some through PetStock recently and that was free shipping, even to where I live so was really happy about that.

My Siberian sometimes gets infected paws due to licking too - I would highly recommend getting some sledding booties - I recommend this to EVERY dog owner. Booties are great to have in the first aid kit. Whenever my girl start licking her foot now I notice straight away. If I catch her licking it twice, then I put cortisone cream on it, add a bootie (baby socks work as well, but they aren't as tough) and then tape in on with sports/strapping tape. I also give it a rinse with some antiseptic too. She will get the bootie off eventually during the day but normally stays on all night which gives the foot a chance to heal.

Goodluck with your search!

Which Holistic Select have you used as the Grain free is very new to Oz. Also, doesn't the Blackhawk Fish and Potato have rice and oats? Just curious as you mentioned grain free food.

Oops - my bad, nice pick up Sagittarian. Sorry - the HS Anchovy, Salmon etc. is not grainfree. It is just a fish based food rather than lamb/chicken/beef. As you menitoned, the new 'pink' one is fish based AND grainfree.

I haven't looked closely at the BHawk fish and potato as only saw it in stores recently. I didn't realise it was not complete grainfree.

Thanks Tumbleweed! I didn't think of booties but thats a good idea for when I'm not there to tell him to stop licking. I will pick some up this week smile.gif

Yes Blackhawk isn't grain free unfortunately, it is a lot cheaper though!

Edited by LisaCC

For My Pet Warehouse, you have to login and go to the check out and it gives you a selection of postage, you just choose $4.99 postage. The estimate gives some strange postage cost. I ordered a 10kg bag of dog food and I live regional WA and it only cost $4.99.

Just transitioning mine onto the Canidae.

Update on the Holistic Select Grain Free, I've only just completely switched him over to it the last few days but already the itching and chewing has reduced dramatically!

Poos are as perfect as poos can get, they don't even smell!!!

Bonus is he seems to not need about half a cup less than on the previous food. He's one of those dogs that will actually stop eating when he is full.

The earthborn meadows is the grain free one with a lot less protein percentage.

I did see that one but I wanted to keep him on a fish based food as he was previously having some minor tummy issues on other foods.

Update on the Holistic Select Grain Free, I've only just completely switched him over to it the last few days but already the itching and chewing has reduced dramatically!

Poos are as perfect as poos can get, they don't even smell!!!

Bonus is he seems to not need about half a cup less than on the previous food. He's one of those dogs that will actually stop eating when he is full.

That is great news!

The other option might be Taste of the Wild. It's a bit cheaper than the others but is made by Diamond so it depends how you feel about them. I used to feed it and my greys did well on it (though with 3, I've gone onto Costco which is the same but half the price - not possible for you).

For shipping, the Natural Pet Store do flat rate shipping of $5 to regional NSW for up to 20kg and then $5 for the next, which might be worth looking at.

• 2 weeks later...

at the moment mypetwarehouse is having buy one free 1 for the Earthborn 2.5kg.

I've bought the Earthborn Holistic Primitive for both of my fur kids and I find their poo turn so soft icon_smile_mad.gif. I decided to do the transitioning from Canidae to Earthborn due to new packaging of Canidae. The new package of Canidae has been packaged much lesser in weight but with same price. Too steep.

If their poo hasn't firm up after the transitioning I might revert back to Canidae.

Let me know how everyone goes with Earthborn.

at the moment mypetwarehouse is having buy one free 1 for the Earthborn 2.5kg.

I've bought the Earthborn Holistic Primitive for both of my fur kids and I find their poo turn so soft icon_smile_mad.gif. I decided to do the transitioning from Canidae to Earthborn due to new packaging of Canidae. The new package of Canidae has been packaged much lesser in weight but with same price. Too steep.

If their poo hasn't firm up after the transitioning I might revert back to Canidae.

Let me know how everyone goes with Earthborn.

Hi there

New RRP for the new 10.4kg size is considerably lower than the 13.6kg was. Please do check with your retailer and if they haven't adjusted the price, let Canidae know.

Sags

:)

Further update, Firm poos, less food needed, foot has cleared up well plus it may of helped in clearing up an ear infection he aquired after having a grass seed removed just before I switched him over. It cleared up much quicker than the vet originally thought once I switched.

Very happy with the Holistic Select so far.

Edited by LisaCC

• 1 month later...

I've been using Holistic Select Anchovy for 3 years on my skin and tummy sensitive boy and he has done very well on it but the poor boy is getting bored so I would like to get an alternate bag/brand to mix things up. I order from Pookinuk online with $5.00 delivery so much cheaper than dealing with Megapet Warehouse that never seem to stock the brands that I want :(

I'm thinking of trying Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch (grainfree) or Canidae Salmon (grainfree). I would like to hear from anyone that has tried these?

Edited by soothie