Fish Based Grain Free Foods

LisaCC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nova is going well health wise on the Holistic Select but now he's going off the taste of it. I'm buying a bag of the Costal Catch Earthborn Holistic Grain Free this week. I'll will update on how that one goes.

• 2 weeks later...

2nd day on just Earthborn Holistic Costal Catch.

Nova loves it, is eating it all in one go without any yogurt or anything on top! Hopefully it will continue.

If he gets itchy on this (nothing yet) or goes off it, I will look at trying Wellness Core as they also have a Fish based grain free.

2nd day on just Earthborn Holistic Costal Catch.

Nova loves it, is eating it all in one go without any yogurt or anything on top! Hopefully it will continue.

If he gets itchy on this (nothing yet) or goes off it, I will look at trying Wellness Core as they also have a Fish based grain free.

our cocker does well on the costal catch, hope it works for your boy :)

our very sensitive golden does well on the Canidae sky

and the other golden really likes (will not eat canidae) Wellness large breed which is at petbarn, they also have wellness core which is grain free but like most grain free food is high protien

http://www.wellnesspetfood.com.au/product-details.aspx?pet=dog&pid=61

yep we have 3 different foods going here but its what works for each dog :shrug:

Thanks Goldenluv,

I would like to try Canidae, but I would prefer something I don't have to rely on online ordering and I can't get it in town here.

My last boy with IBD could eat the Senior Wellness, so I don't have an issue trying Wellness Core if this doesn't work.

The proteins are very high, that does worry me a bit, but grain free is the only things stopping him from itching. I'm hoping that as he's 9 months now it won't effect his growth rate too much.

• 3 weeks later...

The Earthborn Holistic Costal Catch has been great. 6 kilos down and he still gobbles it up thumbsup1.gif Previously I've had to sit and make him eat his food, but now he wants it!

I thought by now he would get sick of it and I would have to switch to something else but it's still going great!

His poops are very small now too!

Found out today that there are 2 new Earthborn grainfree varieties headed our way later this year. They are not fish, but for those interested there will be large breed and weight control. They are already available in the US but they will be launched in October here because that's when the PIAA pet expo is (been trying to get there for 3 years...hoping this year is my chance!)

See here - http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/

and btw, the Great Plains feast flavour is not available because of something to do with not being able to import bison meat.

Found out today that there are 2 new Earthborn grainfree varieties headed our way later this year. They are not fish, but for those interested there will be large breed and weight control. They are already available in the US but they will be launched in October here because that's when the PIAA pet expo is (been trying to get there for 3 years...hoping this year is my chance!)

See here - http://www.earthbornholisticpetfood.com/us/dog_formulas/

and btw, the Great Plains feast flavour is not available because of something to do with not being able to import bison meat.

That is quite interesting as you can get the Taste of the Wild- High Prairie which is Bison and venison. It might have something to do with the processing. I believe the Earthborn says red bison meal - which may be dried raw?? and TOTW is roasted bison.

Either way, it is good that more of these types of foods being available here, thanks for the heads-up

Yea, it's been over a year since I was told the reason why, so I may be a little forgetful, but I know it was something to do with the bison.

Yea, this is my favourite brand of dog food but I can't feed it due to my dog breed of choice having issues with bladder stones, but I'm glad that they're expanding. Applaws is coming to my work soon, another food to learn about!

Thanks Dotdashdot! Nova gets the runs from chicken but was going well on the fish which is the reason why we stuck with it. I will have a look at the other new ones. I was thinking of trying the lamb? version too, but now that he's eating it I don't want to switch yet!

Oh and I saw a small bag of Applaws in coles once last year!

Edited by LisaCC

Thanks for the updates LisaCC.

I am not fussed on grain free but have been feeding holistic select with rice and the grain free for a few bags now and one of my dogs has very dry skin. They also don't 'love' it.

I am supplementing with missing link at the moment but might look at the Earthborn next time. :)

Edited by Staff'n'Toller

I made a post yesterday but it seems the gremlins intercepted it. There are 3 other dogs in the family doing fine on the Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch but Jonah always had red itchy feet so I swapped him onto Blackhawk Chicken and Rice and it cleared up in weeks.

Then he started scratching a bit more than normal on a new bag of Blackhawk so I thought I might try the Earthborn Primitive luckily I only bought a 3kg bag as it upset his stomach badly with no improvement in the scratching and pinkish feet.

Gave it 3 weeks with no change so he is back on the Blackhawk for the foreseeable future.

I am not fussed on grain free but have been feeding holistic select with rice and the grain free for a few bags now and one of my dogs has very dry skin. They also don't 'love' it.

I am supplementing with missing link at the moment but might look at the Earthborn next time. :)

I noticed the Earthborn kibble itself quite shiny and oily to look at and touch. I'm guessing it's because it's so high in fish? But perhaps that will go well for your dogs dry skin?

My last boy had dry skin because of medication but did quite well on Wellness (the normal one not grainfree) so I would look at them too :)

I noticed the Earthborn kibble itself quite shiny and oily to look at and touch. I'm guessing it's because it's so high in fish? But perhaps that will go well for your dogs dry skin?

My last boy had dry skin because of medication but did quite well on Wellness (the normal one not grainfree) so I would look at them too :)

Sounds promising, quite right, it could be the herring in it that's higher in omegas. I will try it and see. Plus it's cheaper than holistic! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm looking at switching Nova (almost 7 month old male Aussie) to a grain free food as he's had increasingly itchy paws and now one has become infected due to it being damp (being treated). Talking with my Vet he agrees that it could be a grain allergy especially as we spent two weeks at my Mums house and the itching continued there.

I'm looking at foods I can readily buy in town, I checked them out today and saw Holistic Select Grain Free - Salmon and Anchovy - Adult and Puppy formula

I'd love to hear some experiences with this food or other recommendations. I've heard Canidae is great but it's not available here and shipping costs a fortune.

Ours just finished a bag of this very product. I spoke to the Vet about using it for them and he agreed.

Regime was one measured cup daily and RAW to supplement.

One boy is 14 years old (intact & diagnosed hypothyroid) and the other is 14 weeks old.

I was beyond thrilled with the stuff. The old boy actually gained a couple of kilos. Very much needed. Result of blood test meant he could have his medication reduced by one tablet. His shedding slowed, his 'scratching' nothing disappeared. He even decided HE, and he alone, should chase the chewed up frisbee. This was after 2 weeks of the dry. He is acting frisky again, poops are 'better'. Not as constipated. Prior to this, he was declining to eat almost nightly. Vet did a full blood count without anything scary being shown. Teeth were in fine condition. He is acting 'younger' & stalking me to be feed. He even loves his bones again.

Puppy appears to be growing by the day. OK, he's a chow hound. But he is glowing with health & energy. Showed his breeder piccies. She was thrilled to be able to see how good he looks.

Food does not 'smell'. Appears very fresh. Residue of bag had very very little 'dust' & waste.

The only other dry I have is Royal Canin Medium puppy. Again, both dogs like it.

Hope this helps you both LisaCC. Nothing more distressing is the wee puppy ( regardless of age) being troubled with itching.

:)

ETA: ask your supplier if they can get a 'damaged' bag. Bag is ripped/torn but no food escapes. They can sell at a reduced cost. Not always available however.

ETA (again) Forgot. We tried Black Hawk...... soft poops every where. Passed on that :eek:

Edited by VizslaMomma

Not good to hear about the poop changes Lisa, if you're unhappy and you have most of the bag left, just take it back. Haven't seen different packaging in my lot yet, but we were due to do an order this week so it may be there when I go back next Monday (although I need more puppy and bird food so may need to pop in to work). If you find this consistently, just PM me and I'll try to talk to my rep about it. Or you can talk to your local store and ask them to (you'll have a different rep as our "zone" ends at Sydney usually)

And I agree that Coastal Catch is bloody oily, the outside of the bags are oily when they come in!!!

The lamb (Meadow Feast) is the one I was feeding Cleo before our stones issue, and my two fave Aussie Shepherds in town are on it as well.

I only bought a little bag so I haven't got much left at all. You know how the bags had the ingredients written in heaps of different languages on the back? Well now there is some diagram on it instead.

I'm not sure if they've changed the ingredients slightly too.

I need to go buy some more tomorrow so I might try the Lamb. I'll give Nova some yogurt tonight and hopefully they will firm up a bit

just noticed this thread, I just bought a bag of blackhawk fish and potato as our cocker has had dry sensitive skin recently.

Anyone with experience with it? He's on the chicken and rice at the moment but the bag is nearly finished.

Also I've found the best way to get a dog to stop being fussy is to get another dog :p Collie used to be pretty fussy about dry food and leave most of his biscuits but since getting Sarah (despite them being separated while eating) everything goes down pretty quickly

Edit: I've also added coconut oil to his diet in the last week or so.

Edited by Leah82