Ph Balance

Clemevi

Hi everyone

Apologies in advance if this topic has been discussed but I can't search PH.

Has anyone ever heard of balance a dogs stomach PH by using calcium carbonate? I have see a few recommendations for it now and just wondered if anyone has done it.

Thanks

Edited by Clemevi

Are you sure you are not confusing this with the calcium: phosphorous balance for food??

A dogs stomach is acidic. You are not going to change that with calcium. What you may do though if a dog is growing in particular is end up giving too much calcium which may cause growth issues.

I think they may have a yeast build up in their gut but not sure. When I was looking a couple of pages referred to altering the gut PH so that the yeast can't survive and you can do that with calcium carbonate. They are on a grain free diet so not sure if this is actually the cause. I have never had gut issues so looking at everything.

I am starting them on coconut oil and a probiotic as a first step.

calcium carbonate increases the pH, it delivers a carbonate ion which reacts with hydrochloric acid to create CO2, water and calcium chloride. It is used as an antacid and it's in garden lime. It's different from other forms of calcium which are used in the body. Saying that excess calcium in reasonable doses just comes out the back end so it wont cause that many problems in that respect.

Problem is if you use it you increase the stomach pH, which can cause more problems as you're binding up all the Hydrochloric Acid that starts the breakdown of fats and proteins. It also produces carbon dioxide which is a gas. Not what you want.

The stomach will be affected the wrong way, if you think there is a yeast infection in the intestines get a fecal sample and see what's coming out there.