Pug / Rottie Breeders

silentchild

Ok, just throwing this out there...

Basically I have been racking my brains thinking of what to get my OH for Christmas (no, I'm not getting him a puppy) and so I've been doing some thinking and it led me to wondering... do breeders usually let people play with their pups for socialization or anything like that? My OH loves pugs and he would be the happiest boy in the world if he would be able to play with some pug puppies.. he'd squeal like a girl.. they are his all-time favourite breed.

So I was wondering if any breeders tend to let people do that? I have no idea about pug breeders... but I have heard of people being able to visit a breeder and pups just to give the pups some exposure to different people and things like that. Does anyone have any clue? If I could line something up like that for him it would be a great present. I don't know any pug breeders, so hoping there will be some pug people on here that could point me in the right direction.

His second favourite breed are Rotties, so if pugs are a no-go, thought I'd try my luck with any Rottie breeders too. I don't know if this is a good idea and worth trying or not. Thought I'd ask for DOLers insight since there are a lot of breeders on her and people who are familiar with how they work!

Thanks in advance!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Maeby Fünke

Yeah, how cute LOL. Please let us know how you get on. I would love to hear about his experience with the Pugs (or Rotties) :)

Silentchild - I love both breeds, had Rotties before the Pugs but won't be breeding another litter of Rotties, once my current dogs go to heaven that could be it for me. I am planning a Pug litter for early to mid next year, if you would like to stay in touch with me I am sure we could work something out for a play date or two :D .

My first Pug had a lovely cheeky nature and she grew up in the whelping box with my Rottie pups - she must have thought she was one of them. She was a tough little bugger and ruled the roost here and at her new home - YES dogs can be rehomed and still maintain a close bond with their previous homes without any problems...or none that we had anyway.

Lizzy was only 9 weeks old when we got her and Piper was just 2 weeks from having her first litter. It was love at first sight for these two - they shared a wonderful bond.

28886_126877813991928_5481136_n.jpg?lvh=1

Edited by Andisa

Silentchild - I love both breeds, had Rotties before the Pugs but won't be breeding another litter of Rotties, once my current dogs go to heaven that could be it for me. I am planning a Pug litter for early to mid next year, if you would like to stay in touch with me I am sure we could work something out for a play date or two :D .

My first Pug had a lovely cheeky nature and she grew up in the whelping box with my Rottie pups - she must have thought she was one of them. She was a tough little bugger and ruled the roost here and at her new home - YES dogs can be rehomed and still maintain a close bond with their previous homes without any problems...or none that we had anyway.

Lizzy was only 9 weeks old when we got her and Piper was just 2 weeks from having her first litter. It was love at first sight for these two - they shared a wonderful bond.

28886_126877813991928_5481136_n.jpg?lvh=1

That is such a gorgeous photo.

Oh what a lovely photo Andisa. :love: Thank you so much for your offer, yes, I would love to stay in touch for when you have your Pug litter. I understand a lot of breeders won't be having litters around Christmas because of the demand for pups during Christmas, just hoped I'd be lucky enough to find one anyhow.. It just means OH will have to wait a little longer for his present unfortunately!!! (I have a bad feeling that he will really really want a pug after this... LOL)

Edited by silentchild

Christmas time is not my favorite time for puppies but timing depends on when the girls come in season. My Pugs don't seem to have normal seasons, they have been every 8 - 10 months. There really is something very special about Pug babies - they are way too gorgeous :D

This has always been one of my favorites :love: I am very lucky to have so many of these beautiful pic. I treasure them, I won't have this pack structure again, it was very special to me.

28886_126877843991925_1128277_n.jpg?lvh=1

Think she was trying to join in with this one :)

268864_243315052348203_8228455_n.jpg

Oh and some Pug babies :)

300007_537384786274560_476259670_n.jpg

577798_537955159550856_1584575184_n.jpg

564469_548189891860716_305500361_n.jpg

2039_552433391436366_1344984965_n.jpg

My current Pugs annoy the crap out of the Rotties so I don't make them put up with it - not fair on them. They look at me as if to say "deal with them" :laugh: .

Edited by Andisa

(...)

Gorgeous photos! But I was curious, why will you not be breeding (or even keeping?) Rotts anymore? Are you just specializing in the one breed or are there other reasons? Sorry if this is a personal question, please disregard it in that case. As I said, just curious :)

(...)

Gorgeous photos! But I was curious, why will you not be breeding (or even keeping?) Rotts anymore? Are you just specializing in the one breed or are there other reasons? Sorry if this is a personal question, please disregard it in that case. As I said, just curious :)

No, that's fine. I just can't do what I want with the Rottweilers any more and feel it's not fair on them. I have injuries (back and shoulder are my worst) from when I was younger, now at almost 48 I am not up to the exercise they deserve. If I do have another one later on I would be after an ex show or breeding dog who would be happy for a more sedate life style. I was also put off the breeding side due to some very horrible puppy enquiries - I would rather not have another litter than have to deal with those types of people again. Also I find it easier and better for me to stick with the smaller breeds and Pugs stole my heart when I was just a kid. I grew up with and have always had large dogs so it's always possible I will have another Rottweiler down the track but he/she would need to be suitable for us. My current Rottweilers are now 9 and 5 yrs old.

This was taken earlier this year.

389197_624089080937463_1128848011_n.jpg

Edited by Andisa

Andisa, those photos are soooo gorgeous! Little pug babies! I just wanna smush my nose into those little bellies. :heart: Their coats look so soft. Oh those photos have me all clucky now, I can't wait for you to have your litter, LOL! And I totally feel you about not feeling physically capable to handle a Rottie anymore. I've recently went down in size from a Rottie to an Aussie Shepherd, which is still not a small breed but much smaller than a Rottie, and I wondered how I was ever able to handle a Rott!!! I do love them though, they are such special dogs. I agree an old, sedate Rottie would be nice in the future. I do wish they would live longer though, I lost my gorgeous girl at just 8 years old. :(

I agree an old, sedate Rottie would be nice in the future.

LOL, that's has been my thinking for when I am and older, dodderier lady, but the older and dodderier, I get I realise that the Rottie would have to be on his or her last legs to cope with the lifestyle LOL.

Your photos are very special, Andisa.

Andisa, those photos are soooo gorgeous! Little pug babies! I just wanna smush my nose into those little bellies. :heart: Their coats look so soft. Oh those photos have me all clucky now, I can't wait for you to have your litter, LOL! And I totally feel you about not feeling physically capable to handle a Rottie anymore. I've recently went down in size from a Rottie to an Aussie Shepherd, which is still not a small breed but much smaller than a Rottie, and I wondered how I was ever able to handle a Rott!!! I do love them though, they are such special dogs. I agree an old, sedate Rottie would be nice in the future. I do wish they would live longer though, I lost my gorgeous girl at just 8 years old. :(

Fingers crossed if all goes well they will be here before we know it, if not then the wait will be longer..

I have plenty more pics to show you if you like - including newborn puppies. I posted the above because they are at the best stage and ready for mischief :laugh:

My dogs are easy enough to handle, but it's days like I am having now when my back lets me down it's hard to do what I want. It's more their size than strength for me now, while they are able to assist in/out of the car for vet trips it's all good but I worry about how I can manage them when I have to physically move them myself. I have stopped grooming large dogs now for the same reason. Mine are easy to manage but not all large dogs are. Hamish jumped on the bed last night and had me pinned while licking my face. I couldn't move my arms up to push him away but he did listen when I told him to go away.

They never live long enough - it's so hard losing them. We lost Lizzy only last week :cry: .

Danny's Darling - I have the right one for you here now and she is a gem :D

Edited by Andisa