Dog Rehoming Question

samoyedman

I may have a business opportunity which might mean relocating to somewhere I cannot keep a dog. He's always been a 'one man' dog but I think he would adjust well in a happy loving family.

If I rehomed my 7 year old dog with friends and still visited him once or twice a week, took him to my parents place, the dog park, on walks etc., would this be confusing and stressful for him since he might think I am coming to take him back? Or does the answer to this depend on the dog's personality?

Edited by samoyedman

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may have a business opportunity which might mean relocating to somewhere I cannot keep a dog. He's always been a 'one man' dog but I think he would adjust well in a happy loving family.

If I rehomed my 7 year old dog with friends and still visited him once or twice a week, took him to my parents place, the dog park, on walks etc., would this be confusing and stressful for him since he might think I am coming to take him back? Or does the answer to this depend on the dog's personality?

I rehome dogs for owners all the time. It's a common request that they want to see their old dog - if there are new owners that the former owner doesn't know then I always ask - so far the answer has always been no.

If they are your friends then of course you will be in touch. It would not be fair on the dog to keep popping in - at least for the first two months and maybe not at all, depending on the dog. If he is a "faithful friend to the end" and devoted type then this may well continue to make him unhappy. If he's a happy go lucky loves everyone dog then it's about 2 months for them to settle in and feel at home. Then they will probably be fine to see you. However I would still not like to think that you were taking him away from his new home for a night and so on, that would be confusing.

Last year I had a very odd case. A gay couple had rehomed their two dogs via Gumtree with the proviso that they would have them for the weekend every fortnight. The new owner had to drive from Sydney's outskirts to the city centre and drop them off on Friday night and then go and collect them on Sunday night. The guys took them away for a fortnight every year.

This bizarre arrangement lasted two years. The dogs were basket cases and kept escaping from their new home.

Finally their behaviour really deteriorated and the new owner wanted to get rid of them. I had to deal with the new and the former owner and the former owner still owned them - FFS.

I found them a home where it took quite some time but they eventually settled. None of their former owners get to visit - for the dogs' sakes.

We had this exact situation when we adopted a 7 month old Bichon Frise years ago, the owner came out to our place to check my other Bichons and was happy to let him live with us. He was also leaving a 3 month old baby girl who he adored, and whenever he heard kids he would cry and try to get out to them, his ex owner came to visit a couple of times, and each time he would think she was coming to take him home again, he eventually got over his upheaval but I would not do this to another dog, same with your dog. If you are going to rehome, it's not fair on the dog to have you coming back all the time, he would be so confused, whereas if he is just let to integrate into his new family without any distractions (you mainly) he should do fine. Poor doggie.

Guest hankodie

Yes I agree with what everyone else has said. It doesn't seem very fair on the dog, especially because you say he's always been a one person kind of dog. Is there no chance you could find a pet-friendly place?

Nawww thats so sad :(

Can't you just keep the job you got ? from past posts you sound like you make enough, and you enjoy your work and get along with your coworkers.. and didn't you just get a new house at one stage.

Hope you can find another alternative that you still keep your dog. You have had him for a long time and you obviously love him heaps, and visa versa :)

Edited by Jules❤3Cavs

Nawww thats so sad :(

Can't you just keep the job you got ? from past posts you sound like you make enough, and you enjoy your work and get along with your coworkers.. and didn't you just get a new house at one stage.

Hope you can find another alternative that you still keep your dog. You have had him for a long time and you obviously love him heaps, and visa versa :)

No putting greens in an inner city flat ;) ..and where will you keep your little getaway igloo?

I've rehomed dogs who I've seen again several months later, usually out at training/dog club, and they've been happy to see me and say hello but they certainly had no doubts they had new people now. I've never rehomed one as old as 7 though

But you already live in Sydney? Couldn't you commute? Sorry, it's really not my business I guess but I'm confused as to why you would have to move into a unit in the same city that you currently live.

Anyway, as to your question. Some dogs would handle it easily and others wouldn't. There is no way of knowing but to trial it. If the dog becomes distressed by your visits you would have to be accepting of the fact that your visits would have to cease until such time he was ok.

You would also have to accept that he may become more attached to your friends and not be responsive to you any more. When you have a loyal companion for so many years, this may be hard to accept.

Edited by ~Anne~

Define tiny and CBD.

The inner city has dog friendly parks depending on where you are living / working.

I know of quite a few dogs who live in small terraces or in apartments and excluding the westies, most are medium or even large sized.

Some even go to work with their people!

When we moved here for an unexpected work relocation from the UK, re-homing two of the dogs was the hardest, most stressful part of the whole process :( We found pretty much perfect homes for them, and both sets of new owners said we could visit before we left for Oz, but we didn't think it would be fair on the dogs. They needed to be left to settle without any confusion.

Don't underestimate the emotional toil, it was very hard knowing they were alive and well and not too far away, but not able to see them for the few months we still lived there :(

I know another Samoyed exhibitor who lives on the top floor of an inner city Sydney apartment. The dog is just fine.

As for your other question. I think it's unfair on Loki. If you give him up, you give him up totally. Anything else will just confuse and upset him. NSW Samoyed rescue will help you find a wonderful home for him if you decide to go down that road, although personally it's not something I would do.

Edited by Bjelkier

I know another Samoyed exhibitor who lives on the top floor of an inner city Sydney apartment. The dog is just fine.

As for your other question. I think it's unfair on Loki. If you give him up, you give him up totally. Anything else will just confuse and upset him. NSW Samoyed rescue will help you find a wonderful home for him if you decide to go down that road, although personally it's not something I would do.

All well said. :thumbsup: