Dog Rehoming Question

samoyedman

Rehoming is an "all or nothing" sitution... once you give up the right of ownership of the dog, you have to let him go. Not fair for the dog or new family if you keep wanting to see him, taking for walks etc.

I dont get where is sydney where it's hard to travel to get to work... :confused:

Edited by W Sibs

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly even though 7 isn't 'old' for a sammie, he's not getting any younger. I'm sure he'd cope with a smaller appartment type lifestyle.

I know for a fact my 4 year old sibe has and would again.

If you must rehome you're out of the picture entirely, not fair on the dog or the new owners.

I think it's a bit harsh, as plenty of people rehome dogs and cats as their life situations change and one of them is "opportunities".

Yes, some dogs are very adaptable and can spend time between home with both old and new owners and if you had him living with family, I don't think there would be a problem. It's probably quite unfair and realistic to expect a stranger to accommodate your wishes to visit.

If you must rehome you're out of the picture entirely, not fair on the dog or the new owners.

..and why your friends may not be the ideal new owners .

You'll have to rip the bandaid off all at once .

fresh start.

If you were to do it.. maybe contact your dog's breeder and she can take him back and rehome the dog for you or contact NSW Samoyed Rescue. I wouldnt rehome to friends or family either.

So you'll be giving up your dog essentially for convenience?

Hope you give up your membership here too. :(

Ditto, don't you have an loyalty to your dog after seven years?

and from me too, pretty disgusted with you SamMan

I can understand when people lose their job or develop health problems or other bad luck happens. I don't understand rehoming because it's just more convenient.

How do any of you know that it is "essentially for convenience"? If the OP has to relocate (note he said "might"), he is getting in early and exploring alternatives.

We all say that the dogs come first, but when over the barrel of perhaps a chance to make a huge step forward in one's chosen career, I'd like to see what we'd all do - in reality, not hypothetical.

So you'll be giving up your dog essentially for convenience?

Hope you give up your membership here too. :(

Ditto, don't you have an loyalty to your dog after seven years?

and from me too, pretty disgusted with you SamMan

I can understand when people lose their job or develop health problems or other bad luck happens. I don't understand rehoming because it's just more convenient.

How do any of you know that it is "essentially for convenience"? If the OP has to relocate (note he said "might"), he is getting in early and exploring alternatives.

We all say that the dogs come first, but when over the barrel of perhaps a chance to make a huge step forward in one's chosen career, I'd like to see what we'd all do - in reality, not hypothetical.

In reality the only way I would give up any of my pets would be if I couldn't care for them properly or, when my daughter was younger, if somehow they impacted on her quality of life.

Sometimes you have to adjust your ideal lifestyle to cope with your responsibilities.

I used to be up at 5am to walk my dogs as I had to leave at 7am to get to the city for my job. I had a local job but was made redundant and the only work I could get was in the city so my whole lifestyle had to change - either that or sell up and give up the dogs which I wasn't prepared to do.

I tried getting dog walkers and sitters as I felt so bad being away for 12 hours each day but they were still happy, they were old dogs and were very loved and the dog walkers/sitters caused stress to my dogs and me.

As others have said there are units in the city or close by where you can have dogs - Pyrmont has a whole place especially set up for dogs and their owners.

My friends live in Surry Hills and adopted a dog from me, plenty of places to walk and it's actually very dog friendly round there, probably better than here at Hornsby.

I can't help but think Sam Man is taking the piss.... Surely he isn't seriously considering rehoming his dog because he needs to work in the inner city when he currently lives in the Shire :confused: TO me that is so illogical that this has to be a piss-take.

I can't help but think Sam Man is taking the piss.... Surely he isn't seriously considering rehoming his dog because he needs to work in the inner city when he currently lives in the Shire :confused: TO me that is so illogical that this has to be a piss-take.

well if it's a joke then it's wasting the time of people like me who have more than enough rescue work to be getting on with and I won't be amused. :mad