Dog Rehoming Question

samoyedman

Personally, I think it depends entirety on the individual dog. Some dogs might not cope with that arrangement, others might get on just fine. I sometimes babysit a hound I adopted out (longest was for 10 days) and she copes just fine- she's always happy to see me but she's equally happy to go home again. It gives her new owners freedom to go away on holidays and she's with someone she knows, win/win for everyone.

I think some of the judgements people are making are a little harsh- I doubt this is a decision Samman is making lightly and he's at least trying to do the right thing by the dog by asking what he did. There are some people here who are living in glass houses when it comes to doing what is right by the dogs in their care. Ned comes to mind :mad

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know many retired show dogs who have been rehomed to members of the breeder's extended family or their close friends. These dogs go back to the breeders regularly for boarding when their new owners go away and some of the males come back for stud duties. They seem to cope fine with the two homes arrangement. I think it all depends on the individual dog so you could try having your friend mind the dog for a while and see how he goes. Otherwise look for a house to rent near the city, even if it means having to share a house with someone else.

I think you would be surprised how quickly they adapt to apartment living. I took one of my dogs Brody to Uni with me. Prior to that he lived on acreage but he adapted just fine and he was only about 2yrs old. Also as a breeder I regularly have my dogs back for holidays and stud purposes, have one at the moment actually. They seem fine with it and slot in as if they have never left. I wouldn't however do it all the time as it would be confusing for them but say a weekend a mth or so would be fine

Oh Sam, you've been on DOL almost as long as me. You know you can't partly rehome. You know dogs can adapt to city life - though only if you give them the time they still need. How long is the fluffer by himself at the moment each day, with work and social life? He's older, he'll be ok. Of catch a train. Or rent at St Peters and go to a great park and dog care place. So many options.

+1

I think it is a shame that Samoyedman didn't give a more detailed reason for his query, then some of the responses perhaps would not have been so condemnatory and more responses giving suggestions such as Katdogs did might have been received.

DOL seems to have become Samoyedman's sounding board for everything and I imagine he would have thought he would get constructive comments.

THere are heaps of dog friendly apartments in the CBD. And great walks for them.

If you do decide to rehome, then you should not visit - it is totally unfair on the dog.

THe employment opportunity would have to be out of this world for me to rehome a dog of that age.

Samoyedman, I think, is a professional and still (despite some of the things he says :D ) is a young man with a couple of decades of career ahead of him. The employment opportunity might be one of a lifetime and, I assume from his posts about redesiging his current backyard, has come about quite suddenly.

Anyway, his query was about whether rehoming and continuing a relationship with his dog and that has been well and truly answered.

You have a few options and i think all of them can work for the dog.It will take longer for you to adjust though .:(..

I took in my daughters cat when she couldn't keep him in her new rental.After a week of hiding under the bath he ventured out and bit by bit he has settled in so well you would think he has always lived here.He sees his owner about once a week but just accepts when she goes.A dog may take longer than a cat but i did rehome a dog years ago -very long story- to my sister in law who was able to manage a dominant dog and had no children.We visited the dog a couple of times and while happy to see us she had settled in so well and was happier in her new home with another dog to boss about than with us.

Only you can decide what is best for your dog.

I'm on the other end, i've got 2 chinese crested who were both rehomed to me & I adore my boys, 1 is an ex show dog who retired before he came to me after getting his championship, & the other was a special case at the time of him needing a new home, when we went to pick the second boy up we had the first with us who at that point I'd had over 12 months & he still recognised his breeder, so to be honest I wouldn't be wanting to visit the rehomed dog personally as I think it would be stressful for the dog not to mention the new owners.

in saying that, I do occasionally around the christmas time send a text or email to my boys breeder letting her know how they are doing & wishing merry xmas from me & the boys, my oldest has started agility trialing so I like to think its nice for her to hear how well he's doing & how much I love & appreciate them & appreciate that she let them come & stay with me..

I just don't understand why anyone would HAVE to move to a CBD apartment. It's not like if you're moving to an apartment in the CBD, you're doing it because you can't afford to live somewhere where you can keep the dog.

And flip it the other way - would you agree to take on a dog if you knew their former owners would be wanting to be in your life forever? I wouldn't. I can't think of many people who would. There's no use rehashing the things people have already mentioned here. If you are going to responsibly rehome your dog, fine - but you have to be prepared for some backlash, and you have to give your dog the best possible opportunity to thrive and adapt. That means sucking it up sometimes, and letting him go; you can't have your cake and eat it too.

Hey Samoyedman :)

I don't agree at all that the situation won't work. It really depends on the dog and his temperament. We rehomed our beagle and I have made a wonderful friend and we still see him and get constant facebook pictures and updates. He gets excited to see us but is perfectly content where he is and it doesn't upset him at all to see us. Although we don't see him as often as you are proposing.

The only thing I would say is if you honestly believe it is the best thing for your dog then search far and wide for the absolute best home for him. If your friends are it, then that is great but I agree with the person who said don't limit yourself to friends as they may not be the best home for him. Sure, it may allow you to see him but if you honestly want the best for the dog then you may need to make some personal sacrifice. If you are really lucky the situation can work - it has for us. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you - it is such a heart-wrenching decision and I really feel for you xx

I just don't understand why anyone would HAVE to move to a CBD apartment. It's not like if you're moving to an apartment in the CBD, you're doing it because you can't afford to live somewhere where you can keep the dog.

What? Its nothing to do with affordability.

Its too complex. I was only trying to assess options re the dog and the consensus seems to weigh on the side of letting the dog go totally if I rehomed him, which I could never do. So now the opportunity is dead in the water because he is my #1 priority.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Perhaps you need to explain more clearly what the opportunity is?? DOLers might be able to help.

I don't have a problem with people rehoming responsibly... Though I agree that if you decide to rehome Loki, you should sever all ties with him.

Guest Maeby Fünke

Is it too personal as in:

a) Too painful, emotional or upsetting to talk about or

b) You're concerned about breaching your relative's privacy?

Don't answer if you don't want to. It's just that I feel bad that you've been so misunderstood and it sounds like you have good intentions.