Entire Male (puppy) And Desexed Male (dog)

AlanMatic

Any experience with how a desexed male dog will tolerate an entire male youngster being introduced to the family?

I don't wish to desex a new pup before six months of age (my informed choice and I don't need advice on this). Had thought a female would be best to avoid conflict but perhaps a pup of either sex would be tolerated? Maybe it is all in the introduction/leadership, or is it about my dog's personality? Any experiences or advice welcome.

I have 3 dogs, a desexed bitch and 2 males, the 5 year old is desexed and the 3 year old is not. I have also had 2 desexed bitches. I found the fights with the bitches a lot more intense and there would be tension for a long time afterwords (even days), but with the boys if they fight (which is only ever when forced into a room together, Rusty doesn't feel comfortable for some reason), they fight, and they get over it. I have personally found that boys get along together better than girls, so think I will always just have one girl and multiple boys. The only major problem I had with the 2 boys was when Biscuit (entire boy) was about 6 months and started to get his boy hormones, so the pack structure began to change, which caused Rusty to challenge him more and become a quite jealous of me sharing my attention. But this was quickly sorted, and although they have an occasional tiff, it quickly blows over and they are back to being friends again! This is more than I had hoped to write, sorry, but I hope it gave some sort of insight/help :)

I have experienced the exact same situation. I desexed my first boy at 18months when I knew puppy was on the way, haven't had one ounce of trouble here but I think it depends entirely on the dog's temperament/personality and your management of the situation.

My older boy is very laid back and gets on with everyone and was happy to let the pup (who is very hard headed and is dominant with other dogs) be the boss from the minute he walked in the door at 9 weeks. Younger boy is still entire, they are now 5 1/2 and 4 years old.

No way I would have introduced another male into the picture if I had my younger boy first, he loves puppy's of both sexes but once males get to a certain age things change..

My desexed male Lab was 6 when I brought home my first entire male Samoyed. They were the absolute best of friends. Since then I've added four more entire males to the pack and I've ever had an issue with any of them. They live together, not separated in runs or kennels.

I've also added other entire adult male dogs to the pack for various lengths of time and again, never had a problem.

I think my pack works because I manage them carefully, pick the right temperaments and have three very mellow, pack focused breeds. There are certainly breeds I wouldn't do this with.

I didn't have a problem with introducing a male standard poodle to a male (desexed) mini poodle.

Think it had most to do with personality, though.

Desexed adult dog was dominant and new puppy much more submissive/ mellow.

Puppy desexed at 6 months.

The 20kg larger dog would give up bones to the little guy even when the little one got elderly.

Never a fight- most would be some growling, bare teeth, lots of noise over a bone.

Had a thought it a problem, would have separated them.

I wouldn't do it personally, any reason you can't take on a female? That would really be the best.

Issues can occur more with some breeds than others. Presumably it's another large breed you are taking on? Is it another Lab?

I have a male mini schnauzer who was desexed at 6 months and when he was around 5 1/2yrs old we introduced a male mini schnauzer who was 8 weeks old. We didn't have the youngster desexed until he was 14 months old and never had any problems between the two of them and still don't. The youngster turns 2 next March. Incidentally, we have always had desexed males and never encountered problems, but as you said, it could be a schnauzer personality thing, because I have observed with others that they just don't seem to have conflicts.

I wouldn't do it personally, any reason you can't take on a female? That would really be the best.

Issues can occur more with some breeds than others. Presumably it's another large breed you are taking on? Is it another Lab?

I have a male mini schnauzer who was desexed at 6 months and when he was around 5 1/2yrs old we introduced a male mini schnauzer who was 8 weeks old. We didn't have the youngster desexed until he was 14 months old and never had any problems between the two of them and still don't. The youngster turns 2 next March. Incidentally, we have always had desexed males and never encountered problems, but as you said, it could be a schnauzer personality thing, because I have observed with others that they just don't seem to have conflicts.

I am a rescuer - I've got tons of experience with both desexed and undesexed dogs and mixing the two together.

Personally I prefer males and always have more than one. I desex all the dogs that come here because they are on their way to a new home and need to be housetrained. Believe me I've tried housetraining an undesexed dog as I have to wait for a vet appointment for various reasons - dog is not well, vet is too busy and so on - this can be two weeks or more - i have never been able to override the male hormones and desire to mark territory. Once they are desexed then it's so much easier to housetrain.

Sometimes there are no problems with the undesxed males with my own dogs, sometimes they are more dominant. The OP is probably a standard dog owner so I'm providing some suggestions, it may be fine but equally it may not. A female is likely to be an easier option.

Much depends on the breed and temperaments involved, as we are not there we can't tell.

It really comes down to personality. I have an entire male Pyrenean (now 7) who 4 years ago we introduced an older desexed GSD to (now aged 14). It did take us quite a while and a few fights to integrate them. They now happily live together but mainly because the Pyr has learnt to ignore and tolerate the stupid old pushy GSD (who pushes his luck way more than he should).

With a pup you may find it easier to integrate. The test though will likely be when the pup matures, desexed or not and depend on the personalities of both.

Thanks all for the insight. There is no one size fits all answer I suppose. My boy has become laid back over the past year or so, he must be around 4 years old now, but certainly had issues with dominance as a younger dog.

The pup to be introduced would actually be a much smaller breed, probably a terrier. I do agree that a female would be the easiest way to go but if the right personality came up at the right time, in a male pup, I would consider it for sure. I like male dogs, they just seem easier going in my pet owning experience.

Thanks all for the insight. There is no one size fits all answer I suppose. My boy has become laid back over the past year or so, he must be around 4 years old now, but certainly had issues with dominance as a younger dog.

The pup to be introduced would actually be a much smaller breed, probably a terrier. I do agree that a female would be the easiest way to go but if the right personality came up at the right time, in a male pup, I would consider it for sure. I like male dogs, they just seem easier going in my pet owning experience.

I'd seek your vet's advice on the smaller breed desexing. Terriers are pretty feisty.

If there is a serious scrap the small dog won't win.

How long is a peice of string?

It is impossible to know without seeing the two interact and observe you as well (dog owner) what you are prepared to commit to etc.

A puppy will interact very differently with dogs, esspecially within their own pack (expected) once they hit maturity though things can change. Entire or not.

I would be asking myself what level of supervision, training and time I can commit to. Also, what you are prepared to commit to if there is an issue during the lives of both male dogs.

I have 2 entire males I run together with no issues (both GSD's) 1 is almost 2 years old, the other just over 12 months. I can leave all my dogs run in the backyard together, however would never leave the boys in the yard together if I was not at home. The older male respects that I will not tolerate any such behaviour in the yard. The younger one respects the older male and respect the boundaries, the older of the two will assert his dominance every now and again.

In saying that I also have 3 entire bitches, so when in season I make sure the boys are seperated aswell, so there is no issues between them.

Any experience with how a desexed male dog will tolerate an entire male youngster being introduced to the family?

I have done this tonnes of times and rarely have issues. Older dogs usually give pups a 'puppy license' ie forgive their annoying ways etc. I have done it with lots of different breeds too. You plan on desexing the dog once the puppy license runs outs, I can't see it being a problem. People do it all the time. Sure, issues prop up but I have had just as many dog to bitch disagreements, or castrated to castrated disagreements - just depends on their nature.

It all comes down the dog's personalities but a male puppy should be fine if you intend to desex him at some point. I find entire males will often tolerate male puppies well, up until they are 2-3 years old before there is an issue, provided the puppy is not of a fighting nature. For that reason, a terrier except for a Border Terrier would not be my choice of a dog to add to the household. Most terriers can be feisty with the same sex. Lots of other breeds are fine with males run together. I currently have two entire males. A BC who is nearly 10, who has no understanding of aggression at all. He loves everyone and all dogs of both sexes and I could probably run any male with him. I have had other BCs though where the males have had to be separated when not under direct supervision. BC bitches generally are fine to run in groups except where two take a dislike to one another. My other current dog is a JS who is 2. He is both submissive (licks round the BC's mouth like a puppy) to the BC, yet can be a real pain and annoy him and will snap occasionally over food, etc. The BC just ignores him. JS are a breed where the males don't fight and can usually be run together. There can be lots of posturing and the odd growl or snap but it never seems to escalate to a fight. I have no doubt that I could add another entire male of either breed to my household with no problems with the two current dogs as neither have any male to male aggression.

So it is more about the breed and individual dogs than the sex when picking a new puppy to join the family. Also consider letting your dog decide if he likes the new puppy before committing to it. My BC picked a male puppy out of a friends litter a couple of years ago. He had little interest in the female puppies and wouldn't even look at the other male puppy in the litter but was besotted with one particular male. Unfortunately I didn't want another male BC at the time.

I've had my desexed male (he was actually not desexed until he was about 4) for a while now and recently got a 6~ month old puppy. Sort of similar breeds, the border collie is just very timid and submissive and the Aussie Shepherd pup is bouncy, playful and not particularly annoying (he'll back off once the other dog doesn't engage). So they get along quite well! I think my BC likes the company rather than us boring humans biggrin.gif

Probably helps that the BC is quite passive and I have literally never seen him start a fight with another dog. He'll usually run away or lay on the ground before snapping.

It really does come down to personalities like many have already mentioned. In the past, we introduced a male dogo to our home when we had a 6 year old male rottweiler. Both were intact and we never had one problem. Hour male rottweiler was the biggest softy and had never had any problems with any dogs in the past so we did feel comfortable with getting another male. We did decide that if we did end up with problems that we would desex but we never had to.