Stressed Out About Pup

klw

hi,ive just bought a whippet pup about 5 days ago and he is gorgeous but,i had done research on the breed but stupidly went ahead and now he's chasing the other animals i have and i dont know how to teach him not too.i really feel i have failed this little guy who is only being a whippet i know,actually im rather depressed about it all.i feel i shouldnt have got a pup at all because i have chooks,an inside only cat,and a parrot inside.im so scared that my bad stupid decision will cost me one of my other animals lives and im sick with worry about it and he's only a baby,he's 9 weeks today.i havent told the breeder anything i couldnt bare to worry her atm.i dont know what to do,i feel like giving him to someone who makes better decisions than me,the breeder is interstate,i am in sydney.its a big money loss for me too but i guess thats my fault!!!could anyone help me please?im kinda upset and panicky !!!the whole thing is overwhelming me.

thankyou

Ring the breeder. You will probably be able to return the pup for a refund. Transport would be at your expense though.

Unless you can figure out a way to separate the other animals from the pup, this is going to end in tears.

The only way to stop the pup chasing at this stage is to have him on a lead or in a crate.

If you are desperate, NSW Whippet club has a rescue service that would take him on.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I truly feel for you as it's so easy to make a decision without thinking of some of the negative consequences!Try not to rush into anything,but think it may be best to take a few days to think about what is best for you,the puppy,and your other pets.I'm sure the breeder would want you to contact her,she may be able to help you.Try not to panic,and good luck! :)

Ring the breeder, do not give the pup away to anyone. The breeder trusted you with the pup not some random they have never set eyes on. And take a big breath. Of course the pup is going to chase other animals, he is wanting to play, you have to teach him that he can't. Ring the breeder!

thankyou for your replies,that gives me a few options,i know he's playing at this stage but i just dont know how to train him right and even then he will probably still chase.thankyou everyone for your encouraging words i will have to make a decision one way or the other.our eclectus parrot keeps landing on the floor and he went to bite him,and my cat is not standing up to him either which worries me too.i have been crying non stop about this,i cant believe how stupid i have been.

Edited by klw

thankyou for your replies,that gives me a few options,i know he's playing at this stage but i just dont know how to train him right and even then he will probably still chase.thankyou everyone for your encouraging words i will have to make a decision one way or the other.our eclectus parrot keeps landing on the floor and he went to bite him,and my cat is not standing up to him either which worries me too.i have been crying non stop about this,i cant believe how stupid i have been.

Until you make a decision, I would have either the parrot in another room or the pup in a crate.

Dogs can be trained to leave smaller pets alone but I'd never trust a Whippet in this regard. They are hardwired to chase and seize.

:hug:

sounds as if you got carried away...by cute...

phone or email the breeder straight away!! Talk to them - I'm sure you're not the first ;)

meanwhile do not let cat/parrot/pup all be in the same room - it's not fair on any of them , and not good for your stress levels :)

As said .. do NOT sell/give puppy to anyone other than the breeder if possible .... and by all means keep us posted .

BREATHE !!

We all make mistakes. The good thing is that you recognise it. Don't hate yourself or waste any further time and emotion punishing yourself. This does not make you a bad person. :hug:

Be proactive, send the pup back, wear the costs and chalk it up as a learning experience... that is my opinion anyway :)

Best wishes

You poor thing. Definitely talk to the breeder.

I agree with what others have said regarding separting them for now, with a lead or crate.

You might be able to train your puppy though, depends really on the individual. I have 5 whippets and an Italian greyhound puppy with a free ranging chook. I got the chooks when the whippets were all mature and all my whippets have a strong urge to chase small animals. 3 have previously raced. It took a good 6 months to teach them not to chase the chooks.

I kept the chooks locked up for about 5 months and then started putting them in a temporary enclosure on the grass. Whenever the whippets would look interested I'd tell them to leave, or No, but they had already learnt those commands applied to other things, so you need to start training those commands now. they can apply to anything, a toy, food, whatever.

The IG puppy is only just learning now to leave the chook alone, although with her being so tiny I also had to watch that the chook didn't hurt her, it's a pretty ballsy chook. I never leave them unsupervised but I've noticed the last week or so she's not taken much notice of the chook, only to keep out of its way.

Definitely doable, but it takes work. Here's my only remaining chook, Blondie sunbaking with my 2 big boy whippets Tag and Puck. *the dogs didn't kill the rest of my chooks, they died from other causes.

10769103514_3ea4a8c7d5_c.jpg

5F6A0181dppt by kirislin, on Flickr

Oh, and good luck.

Edited by Kirislin

I forgot to mention, I've also trained my friends 2 Italian Greyhounds and one Min Pin chi x to co-exist with my chook. Her dogs come here alot, in fact are here now so they had to learn too. The male IG was especially keen on Blondie and even now I have to watch him, but considering I have 9 dogs and one chook all together in the yard they're pretty good.

I dont know if all dogs can be taught, I hope it's possible with your pup too. All the best.