Substituted Westie Puppy...

westiemum

Hi All,

I think I know the answer to this but I thought I'd check in with the DOL brains trust as well. A woman I met on Saturday at a rescue service Christmas party had already put a deposit down on a westie puppy from what sounds like a BYB. Of course my heart sank - but not a lot I could do at that stage. She was due to collect the puppy today - and the inevitable has happened - when she went to collect the puppy it appears an older puppy with a different coat and personality to the one she put the deposit on was substituted and she would like her deposit back However of course the breeder is just saying t5hat she has just changed her mind. I suspect if she can't negotiate with the breeder then small claims will be her only option assuming some paperwork changed hands. She's suggesting she seek the help of the RSPCA... yeah right!

Anyway would appreciate your advice before I give her a call tonight.

TIA. :)

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your replies - very helpful given how little I know about puppies! embarrass.gif

OK, she's absolutely sure it was a different puppy - different coat, markedly bigger size. It appears she is getting her deposit back and yes there was hand-written receipt. It was definitely a BYB. She's a smart really nice woman who knew better but had been waiting for a Westie puppy for a long time - she's been on registered breeders waiting lists for a long time too. The opportunity came up with a BYB, she knew better but she took it and it ended badly. But now she has first hand experience of why to stay with registered breeders and away from the shonky BYBs - and that's a good thing.

Anyway all is not lost - I've given her the name of four SA registered Westie breeders who are all fantastic, breed wonderful puppies and show them and suggested she give them a call and wait patiently for a good pup to come up. She's now said she would be interested in a rescue Westie as well and in the meantime if she needs a Westie 'fix' I've got three of them!

Thanks for your help everyone - really appreciated!! smile.gif

HW that's a good thought - will pass it on... Thanks smile.gif The only prob might be that after people meet my gorgeous trio - and she has - they tend to get really stuck on them (not that I'm bragging or nuff'in! biggrin.gif)

Yep LG it sounds from her description like a real dodgey brothers set-up. Another hard lesson learned.

HW that's a good thought - will pass it on... Thanks smile.gif The only prob might be that after people meet my gorgeous trio - and she has - they tend to get really stuck on them (not that I'm bragging or nuff'in! biggrin.gif)

Yep LG it sounds from her description like a real dodgey brothers set-up. Another hard lesson learned.

But Cairns are just the coloured version!!!