Is This A Standard Groomers Technique?

Little Gifts

I have heard of the cage washing but I think it sounds frightening for the poor cat. I have seen these mesh sort of bags which hold the cat that water would run through, they would be less scary. That being said, I would never have a groomer wash my cats, I think just the whole thing, new place, other cats, dogs etc would be too stressful. I get people all the time asking if I'd groom their cats and rabbits, I always say no.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and they left Temp twice as long in the tub as she needed to be before rinse off, and she was a cold and shaking mess of nerves by then.

She was left in the tub for 20 minutes? Poor thing. It's not fair on her but not exactly report worthy like someone suggested. Mishandling of the cat though, I wouldnt have been comfortable with that either.

It sounds very rough on the cat the poor thing.

I washed Miss Molly on several occasions as she got older and she was always fairly calm. She protested by meowing and it was obvious she didn't like it but she never became aggressive or cranky. I can't imagine many cats would like being bathed.

I'm not sure I'd be keen to visit that groomer with an animal. I'd rather someone more attuned to the needs of the animal then their own needs.

Train my cats from kittens to have baths, they just stand there and let me wash them - totally unrestrained...turn when I ask them lol. Good for summer to get out the excess hair.

when I had cats in the city .. they were bathed in the laundry sink ..or shower :) Didn't take them long to get used to it - they certainly didn't enjoy it , but they didn't chew me to pieces, either.

I was back there again today. When I made the bookings I had booked Temp in for a malaseb yesterday and figured I'd be lazy and get Stussy a herbal wash today. For a variety of reasons I decided to keep the appointment today.

The place is still filthy. All the daily hair was swept up but there is grot in the tiles on the walls and floor and the top of the tiles on the walls are thick with dust and grime. Why aren't they at least mopping? I saw the cat cage again and the bottom was not as shallow as I remembered (worrying with all that water that would be trapped in it). I also learned that their herbal shampoo does not need to be fully rinsed out - hence the suds still on the cat yesterday. At least the cat was not acting distressed yesterday during its wash, even if it looked wrong to me.

A different, young girl washed Stussy today and she disinfected and washed down all inside the hydro bath before she let Stussy in so unlike yesterday there were no bits of other dogs sticking to the insides and I didn't smell anything blerch. It was all done and dusted in maybe 5 mins. The owner and the long term staff member were there again.

I think yesterday I was upset that Temp was left so long because she wasn't coping as well and because the two main staff were simply out the back chatting with me and each other, oblivious to her increasing distress (mine was increasing as hers was). I nearly said something but the lady who started the wash finally asked one of them if they would rinse her off because she was still busy with a new dog. I agree it is not abuse but it upset Temp so it upset me and I guess it was avoidable.

For hygiene reasons alone I wont be going back there.

I'm a little curious why cats seem to need baths? I guess a white show cat or maybe a hairless cat I can understand but I've never had a need to wash any of my cats? Obviously diarrhea all over them would be a valid reason, maybe a flea bath.. But just an average healthy pet cat? Can somebody please clear this up for me?

Cats do not need baths unless for some if the obvious reasons, they wash themselves and are perfectly capable. Brushing and combing is much more important.

Catching cats and hoseing them down is a method to keep them away from your yard/house, why? Because they generally hate it.

Both of my cats are long haired one a chinchilla so mostly white, they get brushed/combed every second day, they never smell or look dirty.

Edited by Rascalmyshadow

back in the day .. my cats were subbub free rangers during daylight hours .. and used to rub under vehicles/roll in mud , and where toms had pee'd .. and get covered in that oily street grime .We had an area where there were older run down houses, and lots of laneways/communal parking bays .. great for cats .... with lots of stuff to get in to!

I had a friend that had 2 cats - the DSH washed herself fastidiously, and was thus a very clean cat... the longhaired boy, on the other hand, couldn't be arsed to clean himself (lazy bugger he was) - so he would get a bath every few weeks by his owner. He had been like that from the day she brought him home as a kitten, so had gotten used to sitting in the tub and being bathed... and I think he actually enjoyed the attention - he would actually purr while being bathed.

T.

Cats purr when they are stressed they will also stay still.

Many owners don't even realised just how stressed they are.

I think this also.

A lot of people think that purring (for cats) and wagging (for dogs) always means happiness. Alas, it does not. Cats have been found to purr when in extreme pain and about to pass away, after car accidents and such.... Of course this prompts some people to take extreme measures to keep that animal alive because it is "happy" and has "a will to live" and such :(

For the last month of Miss Brontë's life she had numerous vet visits and developed a "nervous purr" every time we entered the waiting room. This is not uncommon in cats. One consideration (out of many) for giving her wings was the type and duration of her purring.

The first cat I euthanased was an emergency case and purred so loudly it was difficult to believe how much pain it must have been in.

Purring is considered a care-soliciting behaviour rather than an emotional expression.

Edited by The Spotted Devil

All cats I've owned until now have never needed to have a bath. Only time they were ever washed was if they had grease or something really gross on them.I am about to get a Sphynx so he will need bathing periodically but I assume that he will be quite used to it as the breeder will have been bathing the whole litter prior to them going to new homes.

All cats I've owned until now have never needed to have a bath. Only time they were ever washed was if they had grease or something really gross on them.I am about to get a Sphynx so he will need bathing periodically but I assume that he will be quite used to it as the breeder will have been bathing the whole litter prior to them going to new homes.

It was mentioned before, and i am just curious,

why do hairless cats need bathing?

From the reading I've done one reason is because of the oils they produce, which in a normal cat would be absorbed by the hair. If not washed they can get all greasy and leave greasy, brown marks on furniture etc. they also have to have their ears cleaned regularly too and I've been told not to feed them fish based products.

It's quite fascinating and I'm really looking forward to getting my nudie :)

I think they need extra skin care, just like hairless dogs? Somebody who actually owns them and has experience with them might be able to answer in more detail

ETA: Oops, there you go!

Edited by BlackJaq

I think yesterday I was upset that Temp was left so long because she wasn't coping as well and because the two main staff were simply out the back chatting with me and each other, oblivious to her increasing distress (mine was increasing as hers was). I nearly said something but the lady who started the wash finally asked one of them if they would rinse her off because she was still busy with a new dog. I agree it is not abuse but it upset Temp so it upset me and I guess it was avoidable.

For hygiene reasons alone I wont be going back there.

I don't understand why you didn't say something about her being distressed?