Is This A Standard Groomers Technique?

Little Gifts

From the reading I've done one reason is because of the oils they produce, which in a normal cat would be absorbed by the hair. If not washed they can get all greasy and leave greasy, brown marks on furniture etc. they also have to have their ears cleaned regularly too and I've been told not to feed them fish based products.

It's quite fascinating and I'm really looking forward to getting my nudie :)

How interesting :) That makes sense.

You learn something new every day!

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cats purr when they are stressed they will also stay still.

Many owners don't even realised just how stressed they are.

My friend's long hair would willingly get into the bathtub himself when it was his bath time... I'm pretty sure his purring was due to the fact that his owner was very gentle, and he truly enjoyed the one-on-one time with her alone. He was a weird cat... *grin*

T.

We looked after a friend's ragdoll that would get into water quite happily, we did have to give her a bath once when she managed to knock a tin of tomato sauce onto herself (mostly onto areas she couldn't groom properly) and she STUNK. She didn't seem to bothered, was a very chilled out cat anyway, and like I said would often try to hop into water when you were warming up the shower or using the sink!

I think yesterday I was upset that Temp was left so long because she wasn't coping as well and because the two main staff were simply out the back chatting with me and each other, oblivious to her increasing distress (mine was increasing as hers was). I nearly said something but the lady who started the wash finally asked one of them if they would rinse her off because she was still busy with a new dog. I agree it is not abuse but it upset Temp so it upset me and I guess it was avoidable.

For hygiene reasons alone I wont be going back there.

I don't understand why you didn't say something about her being distressed?

They were standing right where they could see and hear and I guess I expected/hoped they would realise it themselves! I was talking and patting and generally trying to keep Temp calm. She was shaking and crying so I was telling her it would all be over soon (hint hint). I guess grooming staff see low level anxiety often though and figured she was in safe hands with me. I just wished we were in and out a bit quicker so my little worry wart had less time to get uptight. Plus I guess I was the job of the lady who had moved on to grooming a dog on a table so I felt somewhat reliant on her to finish what she started.

Cats purr when they are stressed they will also stay still.

Many owners don't even realised just how stressed they are.

My friend's long hair would willingly get into the bathtub himself when it was his bath time... I'm pretty sure his purring was due to the fact that his owner was very gentle, and he truly enjoyed the one-on-one time with her alone. He was a weird cat... *grin*

T.

I've got friends who have to constantly stop their cat getting in the shower with them. Just a short haired moggy but a strange cat in lots of other ways too!

I know DD, I just couldn't open my lips and say the words. I very nearly grabbed the hose and started washing her off myself rather than even say anything. I will be calling them and telling them why I wont be back and why I could never recommend them to anyone in the present state they are operating in. The reception area is all clean and pretty of course. There is no excuse for a lack of regular cleaning out the back.

Many people used to cage wash cats especially after clipping, it isn't a technique that I like. When we did cats we would have a nominated cat only day once a fortnight or month so that there was not the added stress of dogs barking etc. A quiet environment with only my most trusted, capable handlers. Cat skin tears if cut by scissors or blades unlike dogs that will generally gauge or cut bits, cat skin is literally like skinning an animal and when you lift up the fur the skin is so soft it comes with it. We used to do 4 Persians that would stand like dogs, they were gorgeous. Cats require someone that is very skilled with clippers, grooming tools, a highly capable handler and someone that is very good at reading cat behaviour and body language.

I would never take a cat to a salon that would do a cat in the same area as dogs but that is just me, the same as I would not take my dog to a salon that would have cats in where there is dogs

Well done, LG. I totally appreciate how difficult it can be to speak up at the time.

The grooming place I go to (literally 50 metres down the street) looks like a bomb hit it most of the time, but the people are very very experienced and love the dogs, so I keep going.

I have commented from time to time on how dark it is (not where the dogs are washed though) and they have lamps trained on the grooming tables, but generally you practically need a torch to reach the counter LOL.

Regular bathing of cats that belong to allergy sufferers reduces the amount of dander and saliva residue and can making living with cats much more comfortable or in some cases possible. Some cats do not do a very adequate job of cleaning themselves and for them a bath can be beneficial, as it is for cats that have a very greasy coat. Some of the long coated breeds and Sphynx certainly need bathing to keep them nicer to live with.