Our First Ever Foster Dog - The Final Update

She's sitting at my feet, and quite calm, no pacing at all. I know once I get moving on the chores and stuff thats when she panics and paces more. But I can't just sit with her all day.

Michelleva, she is coming around very very quickly and, in your position, I would not be doing a thing about her pacing and panic. You've had her a couple of days and already it is subsiding.

Try to relax and she will too :D :D .

Barking on day 3? Oh dear, oh dear - LOL LOL. Some of the dogs I've rescued or fostered have taken weeks to utter a sound. :eek:

Very generally speaking (because lots of others will have different experiences) dogs like to be where their owners are or at least have them in sight.

I have 5 little dogs and I might pop into the study on my own to check on the computer, get waylaid by that dreadful DOL forum :o:o , look around after 1/2 hour to see four or five little dogs curled up in various places. :laugh: :laugh:

I also have an elderly boy whom I call my velcro boy because he follows me everywhere.

So, I think you are doing just fine with Bonnie. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your encouragement Dannys Darling. We were just eating lunch outside and Miss Bonnie has decided to try and beg for food, jumping up etc, thats such a sheltie thing. So I had to say ah ah, and she did stop. I got some liver treats and within 5 mins had her sitting for a treat. What a smart girl! :thumbsup:

Michelleva, she sounds (and looks) adorable and I'm with your husband and kids! I am a first time foster failure mother too, so don't worry, there's others out there. My girl Missy, wasn't from a puppy farm, but she was separated from her brother of 6 years, so there was some adjustment. She paced a lot too in the beginning, and also ran the perimeter of the yard, probably looking for how to get back to her brother. She was also a terrible eater for the first few weeks, but I found that letting her eat within 2 metres or so of our other dog (who was not food defensive - it never lasted long enough :laugh: ) helped her, and of course, I supervised.

She is also a bit of a velcro dog when I'm home, but I have never arrived home to barking or any problems - she's usually asleep in her bed, even now she's on her own.

Sounds like she is settling in very well, considering her past life and you are doing all the right things. Please let us know the outcome! :)

Don't worry Dogmad I have no plans to do that, I don't have time anyway.

Today she hasn't paced too much and she's stayed in her safe spot by herself quite a bit, which is fantastic. She's happily going outside with Georgia every hour or two for wees, etc. She was just out there and had her first bark. Georgia is a huge yappa and the kids have been saying she's the quietest sheltie we've ever met, I just keep telling them to give her time, and I was right. So Georgia is already teaching her the sheltie ropes. :rofl:

Put something with your scent on it, in her safe spot. Old unwashed T-shirt or a toy that you've rubbed the palms of your hands, all over.

I agree with all who've said what's going on, is normal adjustment (by Georgia) to new kid on the block & realistic adjustment by Bonnie to close companionship with a trusted human for first time.

It's reminding me of our resident Shelley the sheltie when Danny the rescue sheltie came. Shelley lover of attention, something to say... er 'bark'.... about everything (The Mouth from the South).... & bossy lady-in-charge (like pulling puss from behind the sofa by the tail). And gentle Danny, so responsive to love & affection .... had to put up with her! Earned him the nickname Saint Danny. :)

A UQ behaviorist vet remarked at that time.... the good thing is that shelties are intelligent dogs, so they'll learn well to adjust. Sure seems to be so with Bonnie. She's doing extra well, considering her past situation.

Edited by mita

Don't worry Dogmad I have no plans to do that, I don't have time anyway.

Today she hasn't paced too much and she's stayed in her safe spot by herself quite a bit, which is fantastic. She's happily going outside with Georgia every hour or two for wees, etc. She was just out there and had her first bark. Georgia is a huge yappa and the kids have been saying she's the quietest sheltie we've ever met, I just keep telling them to give her time, and I was right. So Georgia is already teaching her the sheltie ropes. :rofl:

Put something with your scent on it, in her safe spot. Old unwashed T-shirt or a toy that you've rubbed the palms of your hands, all over.

I agree with all who've said what's going on, is normal adjustment (by Georgia) to new kid on the block & realistic adjustment by Bonnie to close companionship with a trusted human for first time.

It's reminding me of our resident Shelley the sheltie when Danny the rescue sheltie came. Shelley lover of attention, something to say... er 'bark'.... about everything (The Mouth from the South).... & bossy lady-in-charge (like pulling puss from behind the sofa by the tail). And gentle Danny, so responsive to love & affection .... had to put up with her! Earned him the nickname Saint Danny. :)

A UQ behaviorist vet remarked at that time.... the good thing is that shelties are intelligent dogs, so they'll learn well to adjust. Sure seems to be so with Bonnie. She's doing extra well, considering her past situation.

Hey your Shelley sounds exactly the same as Georgia. I love that dog to death but she drives me crazy, hence my hesitation at owning two of them. We often tell Georgia she's neurotic.. LOL She's just hypo and has to tell everyone about it ALL the time. If Bonnie was over the top like her, I couldn't handle that, but so far she's completely different. I don't think we've seen her true personality yet, but so far I do LIKE her very much. Both are sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly but Georgia would need a calmer more laid back dog to balance her out. If Bonnie did stay, she's probably end up like your Prince Danny. So for me the jury is out, I'm taking the wait and see approach. If we adopted her that would be the first and last foster dog. LOL

I almost don't want to say this, in case I jinx myself, but we haven't had a single accident in the house. I just keep taking her out all the time like I did when Georgia was a pup. She's did her first poo today and it was nice and firm, no runs, woo hoo!

The first foster is always the hardest... both of you are learning on the fly... and you want so much to "get it right", yes?

I thought I did pretty well to have my first "failure" with foster number 45... lol! And the second "failure" some hundred foster pups after that. I'm at my magic number of "keepers" now with 4 large dogs - but fostering is not completely out of the future picture either...

Oh - and my fostering "specialty" is very young puppies... too darned cute for words most of them... *grin*

T.

ey your Shelley sounds exactly the same as Georgia. I love that dog to death but she drives me crazy, hence my hesitation at owning two of them. We often tell Georgia she's neurotic.. LOL She's just hypo and has to tell everyone about it ALL the time. If Bonnie was over the top like her, I couldn't handle that, but so far she's completely different. I don't think we've seen her true personality yet, but so far I do LIKE her very much. Both are sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly but Georgia would need a calmer more laid back dog to balance her out.

Ooooooh, Shelley went to doggie heaven & has come back as Georgia. :) All that fits Shelley!

Our neighbours used to say she was so awful that she was loveable.

The manager of the boarding kennels, said that Shelley reminded him more of a hyped up Border Collie than a Sheltie.

The only vet at the UQ clinic who'd volunteer to do Shelley's yearly examination & vaccinations, was an American who said her sister back in the States owned an 'unusual' Sheltie, just like her. Drama queen, bossy, something to say about everything... knew everything that was going on & would bark to tell us to come fix it. She was a big girl, too.... had grown taller than standard.

Danny was the best thing that ever happened to her, he was sweet & sensible & smaller than standard. Shelley discovered that the world was not all about her. Not that she toned down all that much. But she did.

Edited by mita

OMG I have those two dogs here, they've come back Mita... what are the chances. Hence why after Georgia I told my husband he was never getting another one.. LOL Georgia has never been boarded, but we have holidays booked in Feb, a friend has offered to look after her, but I don't know how she will cope with her. I think Georgia and Shelley have that real working dog thing going on. Georgia will try and bite the wheels of the mower, while its going, round up the cats.. attack the vacuum, you name it she's done it. See my hesitation, with having two??

ETA and Georgia is quite a bit bigger than Bonnie too, but Bonnie doesn't have much fur on her back at the moment due to bad skin from a flea allergy. So they might look more evenly matched once she fluffs up.

ey your Shelley sounds exactly the same as Georgia. I love that dog to death but she drives me crazy, hence my hesitation at owning two of them. We often tell Georgia she's neurotic.. LOL She's just hypo and has to tell everyone about it ALL the time. If Bonnie was over the top like her, I couldn't handle that, but so far she's completely different. I don't think we've seen her true personality yet, but so far I do LIKE her very much. Both are sweet and wouldn't hurt a fly but Georgia would need a calmer more laid back dog to balance her out.

Ooooooh, Shelley went to doggie heaven & has come back as Georgia. :) All that fits Shelley!

Our neighbours used to say she was so awful that she was loveable.

The manager of the boarding kennels, said that Shelley reminded him more of a hyped up Border Collie than a Sheltie.

The only vet at the UQ clinic who'd volunteer to do Shelley's yearly examination & vaccinations, was an American vet who said her sister back in the States owned an 'unusual' Sheltie, just like her. Drama queen, bossy, something to say about everything... knew everything that was going on & would bark to tell us to come fix it. She was a big girl, too.... had grown taller than standard.

Danny was the best thing that ever happened to her, he was sweet & sensible & smaller than standard. Shelley discovered that the world was not all about her. Not that she toned down all that much. But she did.

Edited by Michelleva

OMG I have those two dogs here, they've come back Mita... what are the chances. Hence why after Georgia I told my husband he was never getting another one.. LOL Georgia has never been boarded, but we have holidays booked in Feb, a friend has offered to look after her, but I don't know how she will cope with her. I think Georgia and Shelley have that real working dog thing going on. Georgia will try and bite the wheels of the mower, while its going, round up the cats.. attack the vacuum, you name it she's done it. See my hesitation, with having two??

TA and Georgia is quite a bit bigger than Bonnie too, but Bonnie doesn't have much fur on her back at the moment due to bad skin from a flea allergy. So they might look more evenly matched once she fluffs up.

This is getting spooky! Danny, like Georgia, came with a flea allergy from being neglected.

Shelley was a Georgia... so, so bossy. That's why the very experienced kennel manager said she was like some of the Border Collies. She wasn't keen on actually doing work herself.... she'd bark for us to come fix it. We called it Shelley's 'Work! Come fix it!' bark. If ignored she'd take things into her own paws. That's why she pulled the puss from behind the sofa by the tail.

But she was brilliant when our little mixed breed, Gran, got to 19 years old & would get lost in the house or garden. We'd tell Shelley, 'Find Grandma!' Off she'd go & bark 'Work! Come fix it!' when she'd found her. So if you ever need an Assistance Dog for a elderly, low vision dog... Georgia is your girl. :)

Honestly, I think Danny was sent into our lives so we'd know what a normal Sheltie was like. :) :)

Very spooky Mita..

I've found another difference between them. I gave them both a chicken wing for dinner, Georgia wolfed hers down in 30 seconds, almost gagging on it, as usual. Whilst Bonnie lied down with it, put her dainty little feet on it and gently started pulling bits off, knawing at it. 10 mins later and she's still chomping on her wing. So far she has zero interest in dry food, yesterday I got her to start eating with the BBQ chicken. Maybe she's going to be a raw girl. I'm just happy she's eating. :thumbsup:

We just had stupid neighbours setting of fireworks here.. OMG Georgia ran around frantically, freaking out, barking at every window while Bonnie walked around looking scared but didn't open her mouth. Even my daughter commented the rescue looks calmer than Georgia.

Gosh Bonnie and Georgia are beautiful! It sounds as though she is settling well :)

It is very individual though I also believe in keeping things simple, esspecially for the first few weeks.

Dogs learn so much from each other, it really is beautiful to observe their subtle body language.

I don't foster any longer though I always said I did 50% of the work and Bella did the other 50% :) She is an amazing dog and taught my fosters valuable lessons. Bella is retired now :) , she still keeps my other two in line at 15 years old though. Only yesterday I was watching Fern and Billy playing, when they started getting a bit silly (racing up and down the hallway) she sorted it out in no time :laugh: Next thing you know they are all quietly lying on their beds.

I said thank you Black Dog!

Bonnie is a lucky girl! Christmas in a loving home is such a gift :heart:

Very spooky Mita..

I've found another difference between them. I gave them both a chicken wing for dinner, Georgia wolfed hers down in 30 seconds, almost gagging on it, as usual. Whilst Bonnie lied down with it, put her dainty little feet on it and gently started pulling bits off, knawing at it. 10 mins later and she's still chomping on her wing.

We just had stupid neighbours setting of fireworks here.. OMG Georgia ran around frantically, freaking out, barking at every window while Bonnie walked around looking scared but didn't open her mouth. Even my daughter commented the rescue looks calmer than Georgia.

Gets spookier, Michelleva.

Eating was the same! Shelley, like Georgia, wolfed down food ... & Danny was a dainty, calm eater. I had to separate them when eating , because bossy Shelley would gulp her food, then fly across to little Danny & take over his food.

Years after they'd become 'brother & sister', I once forgot & put the dinner plates in the same area. Shelley wolfed hers down, raced over to start on Danny's. Only time in his long life, Saint Danny lost his temper.... & he lit into much bigger Shelley. Shelley went into Drama Queen .... squealing for help, 'This dog is killing me!'. She got no sympathy from anyone.

Danny's daintiness in everything, meant strangers thought he was the girl of the pair. And that great big pushy Shelley was the boy.

I'd believe Bonnie was calmer than Georgia with the fireworks.... Danny would be, too. And Shelley the same as Georgia. All Drama Queen, 'We're all going to die here. Fix it, bark, bark, bark!".

Yep.... Bonnie's a gift from heaven, calm, sweet & dainty. :) So good that she's eating.

Ooooooh, the latest pics of Bonnie. She's stunning & there's a changed look in her eyes already! Agree with DD.... definitely Princess Bonnie.

Edited by mita

ha ha... love your description of Shelley and the fireworks!

Very spooky Mita..

I've found another difference between them. I gave them both a chicken wing for dinner, Georgia wolfed hers down in 30 seconds, almost gagging on it, as usual. Whilst Bonnie lied down with it, put her dainty little feet on it and gently started pulling bits off, knawing at it. 10 mins later and she's still chomping on her wing.

Gets spookier, Michelleva.

Eating was the same! Shelley, like Georgia, wolfed down food ... & Danny was a dainty, calm eater. I had to separate them when eating , because bossy Shelley would gulp her food, then fly across to little Danny & take over his food.

Years after they'd become 'brother & sister', I once forgot & put the dinner plates in the same area. Shelley wolfed hers down, raced over to start on Danny's. Only time in his long life, Saint Danny lost his temper.... & he lit into much bigger Shelley. Shelley went into Drama Queen .... squealing for help, 'This dog is killing me!'. She got no sympathy from anyone.

Danny's daintiness in everything, meant strangers thought he was the girl of the pair. And that great big pushy Shelley was the boy.

I'd believe Bonnie was calmer than Georgia with the fireworks.... Danny would be, too. And Shelley the same as Georgia. All Drama Queen, 'We're all going to die here. Fix it, bark, bark, bark!".

Yep.... Bonnie's a gift from heaven, calm, sweet & dainty. :) So good that she's eating.

Ooooooh, the latest pics of Bonnie. She's stunning & there's a changed look in her eyes already! Agree with DD.... definitely Princess Bonnie.

Does anyone have any pointers to help get her into the crate. She's gets very scared when I call her for bed time, and everyday I've had to pick her up and put her in there. At this stage I can't even get her to walk close enough. I've tried to hold a treat to her nose and she'll walk a little way but not get close to it at all. Once she's in the crate she does a couple of scared paces, then lies down and goes to sleep.

In the beginning I couldn't get her to come out of the crate either, but now she comes bounding out, complete with a smile and wagging tail. :thumbsup:

Today she is starting to walk on the grass by herself, without needing to follow one of us.. baby steps.

It's very early days yet re the crate. I had a little Tibby recently, while he was with me he put himself to bed in his crate and we just closed the crate door when we went to bed. In his forever home, he has always refused to put himself in his crate and has to be put in, but he stays there quite content once he is there.

I would give her a bit more time before you start training her to go in on command.

I was more just thinking is there a way I can get her in there without freaking her out.

But guess what this amazing dog just did? Walked in and out of the crate by herself, not once but twice. She's crate training herself I think. I really have to stop over thinking it, she'll get it sorted in her own time. :)