Help With Getting A Dog To Chase A Ball And Tug

My old GD learnt to fetch by having many play dates with a dog that liked fetching. He caught on well and liked the game.

I taught Del a very informal sort of fetch using the clicker. She already like to chase and pick up though, so it was just shaping the return bit really.

http://www.clickerdogs.com/createamotivatingtoy.htm

My rescue dog didn't have a clue on how to play with toys, I found the above worked quite well with her, even though I felt like an idiot!! She will now tug and chase a ball, she will bring it back but has to be encouraged to drop it :laugh: She is a pet though, so no real motivation to change her in that respect.

I also used an iSqueak ball, just by squeaking it, she wanted it.

If they are food motivated, you can get the tugs and balls that you can put the food in.

What have you tried? Is your dog interested in chasing the moving ball if you throw it? Do you want an informal fetch or formal retrieve? How are you behaving when you have tried before?

For tugging, the article is good and also I love this video of SG

What sort of things does your dog naturally like to put in its mouth and carry around? You can start with one of these things or something similar eg if they like fluffy things start with a fluffy sheepskin or plush toy, if they like rubber toys there are the udder tugs, kongs have one on a rope, or a squeaky ball on a rope, if they like paper you can play fetch with a ball of paper, or a toilet paper roll.

My dog is a tad random on the fetch - so I've had to break it down into tiny steps and work on it in front of really really high value hard for dog to control self in front of it she wants it so BAADDDLY.

Helps she's been a bit of a diet too...

So while I'm chilllin in front of TV - or in front of dinner routine

Put something out that you want her to fetch - fairly close - between your knees even. ...

depending what you get to start with - each bit repeat a few times, then end the session with dinner or chase the treat or whatever fun mindless game your dog likes. For any given session it doesn't matter if you end on a failure. If you do get a major break through - have a party with your dog right then - really whoop it up and then END THE SESSION.... don't try to get it again. Cos your dog (my dog) will think they didn't quite get it right and try something different (ARGH).

yes and treat for looking

yes and treat for stepping towards or sniffing (this might have to be broken down)

yes and treat for poking with nose or mouthing

yes and treat for picking up and holding (beware of trying to get the hold and dog spitting to get the treat - you may have to skip the "yes" at this point or change to "good dog" and just say "give" or whatever your spit word is and then treat.

once your dog is reasonably good at picking the whatever (toy) up, start changing stuff like where the toy is, ie from between your knees to on the floor, change the toy, change how far on the floor, change from the kitchen to the lounge or back, try out the back... try at the park. Try sitting down, standing up, with kids running by, with dogs running by, with balloons tethered around the yard and blowing in the wind (pop, oops).

And as you build each component - be really really careful not to cave in if the dog gets frustrated and starts doing stressy stuff like barking or scratching or wandering off to pee, or offering up lots of other stuff. You can end the session (a bit tough if it's dinner, but my dog is way more persistant for dinner - if she does it crap now - she has to do it again - criteria is pick the thing up, put it in my hand - no tossing it on the ground (or anywhere else). Next criteria will be no fetching until prompted (cue'd) but we not quite there yet. (I keep forgetting that criteria, I'm so thrilled she fetches at all)

with the tug, my dog tugs a bit but if she's a bit unsure and keeps letting go - it's important for us - that I don't tug first. Ie no pulling the toy out of her mouth. Just wait until she gets hold properly and then lots of patting with the spare hand and praise and encouragement but no tugging from me.

Otherwise she confuses that with "give". Her basic response to another dog wanting her toy is usually to just give it up immediately. She's getting more possessive of some things but mostly she just drops it and backs off, and that's how she treats tug sometimes. if I want it - I can have it - not exactly what I intended.

I also found this video very helpful. I am teaching Nitro to retrieve and did it pretty much this way. Started with teaching a hand touch and then mark for interest and interaction with the object, then mark for object to hand.