Advice On Looking After A Friends Dog

skuzy

Try & keep to whatever routine these dogs are used to. It will be most confusing/upsetting for them if, when they go back to the owner .. they have trouble settling back into their normal pattern.

Unless you have these dogs for a long time - try to NOT change things like food /exercise . You may not approve of how they live .. but they are not your dogs to change.

If you section off a room/part of the house //then maybe leave a metre or so square of thick newspaper ,with artificial turf on, for toileting .if they are not grossly overweight .. and are used to feeding ad lib - why not allow them to do so?

if they ARE overweight /not used to walking ... I advise against it ..for a few health reasons.

They are not your dogs

"Walks" may greatly increase the chance of exacerbating any weaknesses present in knees, etc ..

"walks" can be dangerous for tiny dogs .... anything from cat attacks to large dogs to getting scared ....

Edited by persephone

Try & keep to whatever routine these dogs are used to. It will be most confusing/upsetting for them if, when they go back to the owner .. they have trouble settling back into their normal pattern.

Unless you have these dogs for a long time - try to NOT change things like food /exercise . You may not approve of how they live .. but they are not your dogs to change.

If you section off a room/part of the house //then maybe leave a metre or so square of thick newspaper ,with artificial turf on, for toileting .if they are not grossly overweight .. and are used to feeding ad lib - why not allow them to do so?

if they ARE overweight /not used to walking ... I advise against it ..for a few health reasons.

They are not your dogs

"Walks" may greatly increase the chance of exacerbating any weaknesses present in knees, etc ..

"walks" can be dangerous for tiny dogs .... anything from cat attacks to large dogs to getting scared ....

+1. Well said Persephone.

Quote '1) No specific instructions given - plus i dont agree with the ways these dogs were raised on some levels.

They are tiny pampered house dogs with food/water available whenever and how ever much they want with plenty of play time but no walks.

Right or wrong, i cant continue this whilst looking after them simply because i am not home 24/7.'

I agree with advice others have given.

It is very kind that you are minding your friends dogs.

Still, I am not sure what you are hoping to acheive by altering the owners/dogs regular routine :confused: It does not matter if you agree or disagree, it is what it is.

I know you have said you are not home 24/7 though this is something you need to have mentioned to the owner prior. I suggest you mention this in the future if you ever mind the dogs again. Communication is key.

You have said they are tiny pampered house dogs etc and they are a friends dogs, so you must have had an idea prior to commiting to minding them?

Well said Pers.

I think you are making things far more complicated than they need to be

thanks again for all the replies folks..its been really helpful

we've got no dogs but have had experience keeping (bigger) dogs.... ive made plenty of my own mistakes with learning how to raise our own pets which is probably why im a little frantic about doing things right with these little ones..

Stopping the walks and having more playtime in the yard with them..considering maybe one walk every 2 days..

We're letting them stay in the house longer whilst we're in the kitchen etc trying to let them stay in the house whilst we're home as much as possible (what they're used to with their own owners)..

My Gosh i forgotten how much dogs pee everywhere to mark their territory... any tips with this? right now walking around im using a squirt bottle and spraying them where i dont want dog pee.. eg outdoor table legs and drenching areas with dog pee with vinegar/water (50/50 mix)

1) No specific instructions given - plus i dont agree with the ways these dogs were raised on some levels.

They are tiny pampered house dogs with food/water available whenever and how ever much they want with plenty of play time but no walks.

Right or wrong, i cant continue this whilst looking after them simply because i am not home 24/7.

They are tiny dogs and im worried they cannot handle the heat. PLUS the actual owners keep them in the house most of the time.

More than open to suggestions by the experienced owners on a better way to approach this.

Any comments on food ?

I have quite a few small breed dogs.

First thing is you don't have to agree on how these dogs were raised. You are only minding them short term so as long as there isn't anything cruel, which there doesn't appear to be, its best to keep things as normal as possible for them.

They have only got small tummies & if they share food it is best to free feed them.

Mine get a meat breakfast & then free feed dry from lunchtime. If you have to be out then leave it all down in the morning.

If that is what they are used to do it as they or one of them may drop weight quite quickly.

If they are used to being inside most of the time keep them inside & go outside with them. Escape, snake bite or accident is not what you want to occur while they are in your care.

Don't worry about walks as they are not used to them. They will chase & play with each other & a good half hour in your garden when you can as long as its big enough will be ok for the short time you have them.

They won't handle excessive heat & are not used to being left out.

Can you put them in one room of the house when you are out that has not got carpet, like the kitchen. Then clean up any mess when you come home.

It will only be small mess, if any.

Crates & pens are upsetting for dogs that are not used to them & the owners will be upset too. They won't want there dogs to be crated & penned up & should have checked & run through everything with you first.