Colour Genetic Testing

whippytails

Can't recommend an Australian one as I have always gone to the US. Haven't found any issue in sending overseas and results have been prompt with good service. For colour I used VetGen, I was after the grizzle gene in Borzoi and they were the only lab to do it at that time, they threw in K as well.

Edited by Diva

I am wanting to look at the Genetic make up for black/Seal igs as is seems they are completely different genes.

For instance if you look at a Seal Ig its more likily genetically a B loco and if you breed this with a red you will get a deeper black where as the K dominant gene is what they call a true black.

Izat Igs has alot of great info on genetics for anyone thats interested :)

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/IGcolor.html

Schmutz is my go-to for colour genetics, she is usually fairly up to date.

She has connections I think with HealthGene, but looking at their page I am not sure they can help you with seal as they say all seal has at least one KB and they can't distinguish from black yet.

http://www.healthgene.com/canine-dna-testing/color-testing/?tid=4&btid=76

there is a sighthound colour fb page, has some knowledgeable people on it if you want to raise it there.

Edited by Diva

http://homepage.usask.ca/~schmutz/IGcolor.html

Schmutz is my go-to for colour genetics, she is usually fairly up to date.

She has connections I think with HealthGene, but looking at their page I am not sure they can help you with seal as they say all seal has at least one KB and they can't distinguish from black yet.

http://www.healthgene.com/canine-dna-testing/color-testing/?tid=4&btid=76

there is a sighthound colour fb page, has some knowledgeable people on it if you want to raise it there.

Is that this one? It could be interesting. thanks, I didn't know it existed.

My link

Sway do they take long with the results?

2-3 weeks - they send you an email to say they have received your sample.

They then email your results.

I did have to chase up one lot of testing, have had quite a few done now.

I used ASAP to colour test my dog back in March.

Since then I am still chasing a correct certificate. They have sent me 6 versions so far... All different. All different to what I have been told on the phone and via email. After my experience, I have no confidence in their testing and reporting.

They could not even get their accounting right. They wanted blood sample because my dog is a TNS carrier for research. They initially agreed to do the colour testing in exchange. They ended up charging me for a complete test kit (not ordered) then refunded me half. Then some months later sent me a statement for a credit for what they had already refunded me.

I have sent them the copies of the certificates they have sent to me.. Twice now, and I am still waiting for a response, let alone what I paid for.... A correct certificate.

You will pay more, but try gtg or genetic technologies.

There is no genetic test for seal because they haven't worked out exactly what it is yet. Current theory is that it is an incomplete dominant KB gene that allows the A allele to show through, so seal appears if the dog is also sable ayat, ayay, away, awaw or awat. Ghost tan point occurs the same way if the dog is atat. Most seal Border Collies test as KBky but they can also be KBKB. No one knows if the KB gene is faulty in seals or if a modifyer affects the KB gene but either way a dog that should be black, isn't quite.