Loft Smith Dogs Home

Sonic

I want to donate some money to Lort Smith but want to make sure they are a good rehoming facility. Does anyone have any experience wit them?

Lort Smith are primarily an animal hospital but do some rehoming I believe. The link below also has links to info on their shelter. I have the highest regard for them as an animal hospital, committed to caring for animals as well as helping low income people care for their pets.

From their website:

http://www.lortsmith.com/index.php

About Us

The Lort Smith Animal Hospital was built on its current site in North Melbourne in 1936 by the Animal Welfare League, which was established in 1927 to care for the animals of people who were poor and disadvantaged. A founder of the League, Louisa Lort Smith was passionately committed to easing the suffering of animals, but in so doing, also ease the financial suffering of people of limited means.

This created a unique phenomenon: a hospital that was commited to both animal welfare and to social welfare. Nearly 80 years later, this is still the heart and soul of Lort Smith Animal Hospital.

Today we are the largest not-for-profit animal hospital in Australia with over 30 vets and 40 nurses. The hospital has 11 wards including an Exotic and Native Pet Unit. The shelter cares for animals undergoing medical treatment and also provides shelter, adoption and fostering services for abandoned and relinquished animals.

Lort Smith Animal Hospital is a not-for-profit organisation and has Deductible Gift Recipient (DGR) status, meaning all donations over $2 are tax deductible.

Edited by LabTested

This shelter has the highest kill rate of any shelter in Victoria.. I wouldn't be donating to them.

That is NOT true, you have them mixed up with the Lost Dogs Home surely? They are not a pound anyway. Please don't make such comments without checking your facts as you can do a reputable organisation damage. :mad

Sorry guys, you are right. My apologies, please disregard my comment.

Lort Smith Animal Hospital just happens to be a couple of blocks from the Lost Dogs Home so we are always being confused.

Lort Smith Shelter is a very, very low kill shelter, the dogs & cats are treated like family and we are all devastated if we ever need to make the call to euthanise an animal and trust me it is not through lack of trying to help them and it is not very often at all.

Our shelter is a lot smaller than others as we are primarily an animal hospital.

We are not a pound, we only take surrendered dogs & cats and there is no time limit on how long can stay to find a home.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask me, I work in the shelter at Lort Smith and have done for the past almost 7 years :)

Edited by MavericksMission

This shelter has the highest kill rate of any shelter in Victoria.. I wouldn't be donating to them.

That is NOT true, you have them mixed up with the Lost Dogs Home surely? They are not a pound anyway. Please don't make such comments without checking your facts as you can do a reputable organisation damage. :mad

Sorry guys, you are right. My apologies, please disregard my comment.

It would be a good idea to go back and edit your post.

Lort Smith do great work. They are very worthy of a donation.

I thought the same, too, about editing the comment that confused Lort Smith with another.

I got to know something about Lort Smith following the TV series about them. Was impressed & enjoyed it very much. It looked more than worthy of donations & support.

I thought the same, too, about editing the comment that confused Lort Smith with another.

I got to know something about Lort Smith following the TV series about them. Was impressed & enjoyed it very much. It looked more than worthy of donations & support.

Yes. While the post is still there people may accept that Lort Smith are not worthy of a donation. Not everyone reads all replies in a thread.

My son who is a RN decided he would like to work with animals for a while. He put in some time working for Lort Smith as a vet nurse. He is experienced with dogs and was impressed with Lort Smith and said they do a great job, both in the Hospital and with the dogs in the kennels awaiting a home. He donates to Lort Smith.

I heard only good things about Lort Smith too and I suspected immediately that Michelleva had confused it with Lost Dogs Home.

I am confused, however, as to why Lort Smith needs donations. Most good veterinary hospitals don't need donations. Wouldn't that be just like giving your local vet a donation.

I'm not being cute, just curious :)

I heard only good things about Lort Smith too and I suspected immediately that Michelleva had confused it with Lost Dogs Home.

I am confused, however, as to why Lort Smith needs donations. Most good veterinary hospitals don't need donations. Wouldn't that be just like giving your local vet a donation.

Because they are not for profit, they would pour their funds back into dog and cat rehoming, kitten adoption, and make up the difference in the discount fees given to HCC holders.

They also run a huge pet therapy program where dogs are placed with their handlers to work in nursing homes and the major hospitals in Melbourne, so some of those co-ordination and administration positions need to be funded.

Lort Smith are a lot more than just a veterinary hospital. They offer low cost vet services for those on low incomes. They also take in surrendered dogs whose owners can no longer care for. Lort Smith finds homes for these dogs. They will board dogs for people who are in difficult circumstances e.g. temporarily homeless and they take excellent care of the dogs. The dogs are not just put in the kennels and ignored. They have plenty of human contact and they are exercised.

The money has to come from somewhere to pay for all these low cost, and in some instances no cost services. They are very worthy of donations.

It would be a good idea to go back and edit your post.

Lort Smith do great work. They are very worthy of a donation.

I agree CavNrott and have now deleted my reply which had the original quote.

Edited by LabTested