Flying A Dog To The Usa

FranVT

Hi all, long time no not-lurk!

I'm moving to the United States early in 2015 and am obviously taking Luuka with me. We will probably go over and get settled and then have dad fly her over to us a few weeks later, just so we're not lugging her around with 8 billion other pieces of luggage (it's a permanent move).

Any recommendations? Any price ideas? I know she'll have to be quarantined, any idea how long that takes? Google is pretty vague and unhelpful. I'm hoping someone has some direct experience.

Also jetpets etc want a buttload of information before they spit out a quote and I just don't have that information, ie dates of flying and where we're going to be or where we'll pick her up etc. It's all very confusing and I just want some super basic info at this stage so we can budget seeing as there's a wedding happening between now and then that'll suck up a fair whack of financial resources.. we just want to be as prepared as possible!

Thanks team!

For your patience and assistance, have a pic of the monster herself:

PdBWae0l.jpg

Hey Fran,

From memory when I looked into moving Brembo and I over to America there was no quarantine going over, but there will be if you come back and bring Luuka back.

She'll need to have all her rabies vaccinations done prior to her leaving.

If you pm Wayrod, I believe he would be able to give you a quote and an idea of what vaccinations she needs. :)

I used JetPets to bring two Labradors from Perth to SFO a couple years ago. I think it cost me $4400. The paperwork is a pain in the bum, and it's worth getting a company to do it for you. There are export vet checks to do. However, as others have said, there is n quarantine, and you can do the rabies shot in the US if you agree to a 30 day home quarantine. The dogs were surprisingly ok with the transport.

I know it's hard, but it would be best to wait until closer to the time to start planning. Prices and regulations change all of the time, and who knows what the rules will be in two years. They could be the same or they could have new ones. Prices will always go up, however, so you wouldn't even begin to start budgeting, except knowing that it will be over $2 000 aus, US, or Cad. The Canadian dollar is more or less almost at par with the U.S. dollar right now, to give you an idea.

When I imported my pup into Canada from Australia 5 years ago, there was no quarantine but he did need to have his rabies shot for entry. At the time, he was five months old, weighed approximately 10 kg, and it cost me about $3 000 cad to ship him (and that's NOT including the airport, vet, and duty/import fees :eek:). I believe we used Jet Pets, although I can't remember...would have to look at his paperwork.

Edited by madredeperros

As a guide you are looking around $2300AUD at the moment using a PP60 (under $2000 if using a PP50). 4 dogs to Lax (Keeshond) size would be under $5000AUD using pp60s. As the freight volume increases per consignment the rate per kg decreases.