Bsl

spyda62

In NSW you can keep them as pets like a normal dog.

They are not fit to be pets either :( A girl I know has one and he was a chronic escape artist, regularly scaling fences and getting out near a very busy road, until one day he was actually hit by a car and sustained serious damage.

Plenty of domestic dogs do exactly the same thing, and plenty of Dingoes kept as pets don't.

This dog was on another level to any domesticated breed I've ever met. It killed livestock in suburbia on multiple occasions, too.

So do many domestic dogs.

Agreed. I've seen plenty of breeds of dogs do the same thing. Especially ones with high prey drive. It's not unusual. I know people with pet dingoes that never escape.

Edited by mixeduppup

I'd hazard a guess that most kelpies have a bucket of dingo blood in them, especially the cream kelpies.

If I was a farmer that wanted a dog that could go all day in the heat back in the day, I'd have wanted a dingo cross. I'd be surprised if any modern day kelpie breeder would try to deny that dingos were not a major part of the kelpie blood line. The kelpie is recognised as the iconic Aussie dog, but it is mainly dingo, and the dingo is more iconic.

ricey

Kelpies are bred from short haired Collies from Scotland and cream kelpies are a genetic variation. Some dingo blood could possibly be present but it is minuscule. They are their own breed and not dingoes. I suggest reading up on the breed before making such claims.

• 3 weeks later...

In Victoria you need a wildlife license and special fencing to keep dingoes. What are the laws in other states?

In WA, everything revolves around what breed you registered your dog as. For instance, if you own a Dogo Argentino (one of the "banned breeds") that would be a problem for you in Western Australia as you would have to go the full distance with WA's "Restricted Breeds" legislative framework. Big time responsibilities and expectations!

However, if you didn't know that your Dogo was a Dogo, and you thought it was a somewhat bigger than normal dalmation with no spots and you'd registered it as a dalmation, you'd be fine!

Honestly, under the WA Dog Act, no one (with the exception of the WA Chief Veterinary Officer), no one is empowered to dispute the breed of dog that you have entered on the dog registration form. You say your dingo is a great dane/red cloud/chinese crested cross, well that is what it is. No one is allowed to disagree with you. And the Chief Veterinary Officer, he ain't going to upset your apple cart either. He is on record stating he will never use his discretionary powers to determine the breed of a disputed breed dog as you can't determine a dog's breed just by looking at it. Don't you love hearing sense from a government official?

All you dog people in Qld, NSW, and Vic; don't you wish your state's dog laws were like WA dog laws?

My 14 year old American Pit Bull Terrier is registered as a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. This was not my decision; it is what was done for me by the pound when I adopted him, way back when in 2001.

Back then, I really had no idea and I thought that he probably was a SBT. I did not understand back then why the pound manager was so insistent that my dog was a SBT. I am glad now that they did this for me and my dog.

To get back on topic, in WA you can own a dingo or a Fila Brasiiero, or a Dogo Argentino, or the hound of the Baskervilles, but do remember to identify it's breed as something inoffensive. Hey, call it a pugalier!

ricey

(and no, I am not joking)