Internet Scam !

Wundahoo

I had to ring a very well known internet company to assist me to activate a program I'd installed on my computer that refused activate for me. He activated it but then started exactly with the same harassment and in the same way as has been mentioned here.

He had access to my computer at the time and began by telling me I had serious computer issues and brought up many pages of what he referred to were Microsoft errors on my 'puter. I was sure what he was showing me had nothing to do with my computer.

He told me if I took my 'puter to be 'repaired' to a qualified service person it would cost me in excess of $400 wheras if I gave him my credit card details he could do it on the spot for $199. I resisted and he followed with "for you I'll do it for $169". He advised that my computer would crash very soon. I continued to resist and he became very aggressive and kept repeating "Mastercard or Visa" in an aggressive manner. I told him I wasn't buying and advised that I was going to hang up the phone and I did so. Since he had access to my computer I watched him delete everything he had typed in the course of our conversation. I emailed the company to report his aggressive attitude.

As the telephone call was recorded I gave the company my number and advised them of the time of the call. They said they would listen to the recorded call and take action but could not advise me of the result.

Three months later my computer is still working perfectly. It didn't crash and I don't have the hundreds of errors or viruses that he assured me I would have if I didn't give him my credit card details immediately. He assued me if I did not give him my cc details I would have serious problems.

I will happily give anyone the name of this well known computer company by PM. I am also happy to reveal which well known internet program I was installing. I don't think Troy would be happy if I mentioned it on here.

I am quite sure this guy is one who is harassing people by phone. His modus operandi was as everyone has been describing.

Edited to say I am elderly and to identify myself to him so he could check that I was indeed who I said I was he knew I am elderly so he thought he had a sure thing on the other end of the line.

Edited by cavNrott

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, we get a heap of semi legit looking emails with .zip attachments at work, and there are people who continually keep opening them... Even after numerous emails saying not to. All our work emails then usually end on a banned list and we can't email any clients... happens with frightening regularity.

Here is an article from Qld police regarding a continuation of the Microsoft Scam

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/wynnum/2013/11/28/public-warning-victims-of-the-microsoft-scam-or-tech-support-scam-are-defrauded-a-second-time/

Public warning victims of the “Microsoft scam” or tech Support Scam are defrauded a second time

November 28, 2013 at 7:28 am Police are warning members of the public to be vigilant following reports from overseas that the “Microsoft” “Tech Support” scam has taken a new twist.

Members of the public who were previously caught by the “Microsoft” scam are now being re-approached with an offer of a refund. The offenders are using the excuse they are going out of business and are unable to provide the ongoing support they committed to by virtue of the previous payment (the scammed payment).

To facilitate this refund the fraudsters are instructing the victims in how to set up an online cash transfer facility with a wire transfer company. Once having established the account, which requires a debit or credit card facility to be registered, the criminals are again taking over remote control of the victim’s computer and instead of refunding money to the account of the victim they are in fact removing funds from the associated debit or credit card. The funds have been identified as going to India.

Detective Superintendant Brian Hay said, “The dangers of this scam cannot be stressed enough. These criminals are getting access to live and open financial accounts to which they are given complete control and have the ability to record details allowing them to commit further frauds in the future,”

“Without question, Australian victims will be targeted with this new criminal innovation and it is imperative our communities remain vigilant and on guard. All unsolicited phone calls purporting to be from Microsoft or a tech support company should be immediately terminated,” he said.

The Microsoft scam:

The callers report the users’ computer is sending error messages and a virus has been detected. The victims are then convinced to allow the caller remote access to their computer. As the user’s computer is searched, the caller points out infected files. The users are advised that the virus can be removed for a fee and are asked to provide their credit card information. Whether the users pay for the removal of the virus or not, many have reported difficulties with their computers afterwards.

Myself & most other people I know have been getting this phone call for years, so I am surprised that this lady was not aware of it :( I usually have a lot of fun acting the complete dumb ass, if I have the time, but I have finally stopped them by getting rid of my phone :)

Myself & most other people I know have been getting this phone call for years, so I am surprised that this lady was not aware of it :( I usually have a lot of fun acting the complete dumb ass, if I have the time, but I have finally stopped them by getting rid of my phone :)

Sheena, there must be quite a few people who are unaware of this particular scam and others that are similar. If it was so widely known then these people wouldnt bother, because it takes quite a bit of time for them to set it all up. As I have said previously there still must be a reasonable catch quota for them otherwise they would look for other fishing grounds.

Fishermen dont go to areas where there are no fish when they set their nets, just as these people wouldnt bother with this if they didnt get results.

I have to say that I was surprised that my friend didnt know about this scam, but then when I thought about it, I realised that there must be quite a few like her, because the scammers keep on calling people.

Edited by Wundahoo

Here is an article from Qld police regarding a continuation of the Microsoft Scam

http://mypolice.qld.gov.au/wynnum/2013/11/28/public-warning-victims-of-the-microsoft-scam-or-tech-support-scam-are-defrauded-a-second-time/

Public warning victims of the “Microsoft scam” or tech Support Scam are defrauded a second time

November 28, 2013 at 7:28 am Police are warning members of the public to be vigilant following reports from overseas that the “Microsoft” “Tech Support” scam has taken a new twist.

Members of the public who were previously caught by the “Microsoft” scam are now being re-approached with an offer of a refund. The offenders are using the excuse they are going out of business and are unable to provide the ongoing support they committed to by virtue of the previous payment (the scammed payment).

To facilitate this refund the fraudsters are instructing the victims in how to set up an online cash transfer facility with a wire transfer company. Once having established the account, which requires a debit or credit card facility to be registered, the criminals are again taking over remote control of the victim’s computer and instead of refunding money to the account of the victim they are in fact removing funds from the associated debit or credit card. The funds have been identified as going to India.

Detective Superintendant Brian Hay said, “The dangers of this scam cannot be stressed enough. These criminals are getting access to live and open financial accounts to which they are given complete control and have the ability to record details allowing them to commit further frauds in the future,”

“Without question, Australian victims will be targeted with this new criminal innovation and it is imperative our communities remain vigilant and on guard. All unsolicited phone calls purporting to be from Microsoft or a tech support company should be immediately terminated,” he said.

The Microsoft scam:

The callers report the users’ computer is sending error messages and a virus has been detected. The victims are then convinced to allow the caller remote access to their computer. As the user’s computer is searched, the caller points out infected files. The users are advised that the virus can be removed for a fee and are asked to provide their credit card information. Whether the users pay for the removal of the virus or not, many have reported difficulties with their computers afterwards.

Thanks for this Boronia, I will pass it on to my friend.

Poor love, she is really worried that they can still get into her computer even after she has had the malware removed and passwords changed. She's having trouble grasping the whole concept of how they managed to do it.

Sheena, there must be quite a few people who are unaware of this particular scam and others that are similar. If it was so widely known then these people wouldnt bother, because it takes quite a bit of time for them to set it all up. As I have said previously there still must be a reasonable catch quota for them otherwise they would look for other fishing grounds.

Fishermen dont go to areas where there are no fish when they set their nets, just as these people wouldnt bother with this if they didnt get results.

I have to say that I was surprised that my friend didnt know about this scam, but then when I thought about it, I realised that there must be quite a few like her, because the scammers keep on calling people.

I have made sure that all the old people I know personally are aware including my old mum :( & yes, I am surprised that they are still doing it, as it is as old as the hills...we used to get about 3 calls a week & when I am visiting my old mum, I answer the phone there & there they are...still at it :mad

1387131555[/url]' post='6370318']

For those on pensions, the Seniors magazine regularly has warning articles regarding these scams...

On another note, my mother got a call from Telstra once insisting that she change her mobile plan - they were very insistent that this "awesome deal" was only for that day, etc... she refused to make any decisions about changing her plan until after she had talked to me - and the guy on the phone was rather threatening until she hung up on him. Turned out to be a bloody legitimate call no less! she than called me and we decided that the plan she was already on was the best for her, and when they rang back again, she politely declined... to more abuse from the dick on the other end of the phone! Very professional Telstra... not!

T.

After being with Telstra forever - despite my best efforts to persuade her that there are cheaper better options elsewhere - my elderly mother has suddenly started having problems getting her paper bills on time or at all - she's followed up and followed up and rung the bank, put a direct debit on it, rang them yo ask where her bill was - and still they threatened to cut a lifetime elderly customer off her only phone over a $30 bill.

She's finally seeing things my way... So I'm now looking around for a good reliable landline provider with good customer service. Yay!

Suck eggs Telstra icon_smile_mad.gificon_smile_mad.gif Gonna cost you a damn sight more than $30 to replace her now she's leaving.

Another trick those people proclaiming to be from the windows/microsoft service team(microsoft will never call you ever they don't have your phone number),is they get you to go into event viewer, and your going to see a lot of yellow and red warning symbols, they say ohh its all bad, your computer etc is in trouble, I work in IT I spent an hour and half on the phone with them screwing them about asking them ridiculous questions, proclaiming I needed to protect all my money as I day trade stocks at home and was regularly doing 6 figure transactions, they got all excited and passed me on to someone "higher" up, they we're really trying very hard to get me to download their "remote control software", eventually when I got bored and let them know I was screwing them, the abuse down the phone had me in stitches lol

Will they be able to recover their money, have they notified the bank? they need to do that immediately

She went to her bank as soon as I told her that she had been scammed. The bank has taken all the necessary action regarding passwords and access etc, and has taken a statement from her. They have told her that they will attempt to trace the transactions that were not made by her but that this could be a slow process and could take up to six weeks. If they cant trace the money trail it might be difficult for them to reverse the transactions. She is under the impression that she will get her money back but I have an uneasy feeling about it simply because she willingly gave these people access to her computer and the necessary passwords to do what they did.

Fingers crossed that she gets her money. In general terms it's not a huge amount but to her it's all that she had !!

The banks security team told me the 6 week thing when my account got emptied(I blame a dodgy online retailer since gone broke as another account wasn't touched), I told them I get paid monthly I'm a single parent can't you do it quicker I need that money, it was literally back in my account the next day, the only thing I heard from the bank afterwards was a call a couple of days later telling me where the money had been moved too and we're checking if I had any dealings with people in Qld, but they were certain it was another compromised account used to "hold" the money before moving it off overseas.

So if shes on a pension she could try call them again and ask.

Edited by bellske

I regularly get messages on my computer advising that my computer is running slow. Needless to say, I ignore. No way would I be giving personal information to a voice over the phone or a "box message" on the computer.

But, again, I have been using computers years both at work and at home. Many many people don't have constant daily computer use and are at risk simply because of lack of exposure to all the things that can go wrong or to all the scams that are around.