Silver Eagle Cool Champions Cool Coats

RubyStar

I've been researching cool coats all morning after borrowing some Cool Champions coats last night for the dogs at our agility trial as it was a scorcher of a day that led into the night. I was really impressed with the Cool Champions, when I removed them for their runs, their backs were really cool and the girls seemed to tolerate the heat.

I'm in a current mode of shock at the price, though! Going to cost close to $230 to get 2 mediums for the Labs eek1.gif

I was looking on here and found old threads I can no longer post in about cool coat recommendations and found a lot of people saying their Cool Champions are no longer used as they use a different brand, so I thought I'd try my luck to see if anyone is wishing to sell their second hand Cool Champions cool coats to me?

Got nothing to lose by asking I guess! :)

Also, does anyone know if they can be bought elsewhere cheaper? I'm looking at the Silver Eagle Outfiitters Australia online shop.

Cheers thumbsup1.gif

Edited by RubyStar

Rubystar - I have tried a few and think the cool champion ones are the best. The K9 shop sells them - but I don't think they are any cheaper.

Caffy has one from the UK which she is happy with - I think I deleted the link so perhaps email her and ask about it.

I don't have one for sale though I did buy a Ruffwear Cooling Coat from Pet Lovers Cafe in Guildford the other week and use it all the time. Maybe an alternative to explore?

Thanks, they look a little thick, though. I am after something thin and lightweight - which is why I am ruling out the Hurtta ones which are a good price.

Swaying towards these for their price: Cool Runners Chamois Cooling Coats

Edited by RubyStar

Rubystar - I have tried a few and think the cool champion ones are the best. The K9 shop sells them - but I don't think they are any cheaper.

Caffy has one from the UK which she is happy with - I think I deleted the link so perhaps email her and ask about it.

Would you trial with a Cool Champion one on? That is the part that is now swaying me to the Cool Runners chamois one. If I can cool Ruby down enough to allow her to trial in the day, we might be able to do some more obedience trials in the future!

Cool Runners - hands down as I said miss BC collapse dog lives in hers and yes you could quite easily trial in one :thumbsup:. I know other owners who's dogs suffer from BC collapse who swear by the Cool Runners ones as well.

Edited by ness

I don't have one for sale though I did buy a Ruffwear Cooling Coat from Pet Lovers Cafe in Guildford the other week and use it all the time. Maybe an alternative to explore?

Thanks, they look a little thick, though. I am after something thin and lightweight - which is why I am ruling out the Hurtta ones which are a good price.

Swaying towards these for their price: Cool Runners Chamois Cooling Coats

I love the chamois coats and so do my dogs

Would you trial with a Cool Champion one on? That is the part that is now swaying me to the Cool Runners chamois one. If I can cool Ruby down enough to allow her to trial in the day, we might be able to do some more obedience trials in the future!

Moo has trialled and done stays in his cool champion coat.

I have a chamois coat as well - which Cider has worn in novice at Rockingham. It was good but not as good as the CC ones.

Having seen and experimented with Ptolomy's chamois coat I didn't like that as much as the Cool Runners one. I put it to the test at the park letting Kenz run and it moved around way to much whereas the Cool Runners one doesn't move at all.

You don't use yours for ring work other than novice do you Ptolomy though? I think the CC would be a little difficult to jump a dog in for Open and UD. Fine for stays but not great for the more active tasks.

The Cool Runners I think you could quite happily jump a dog in without having to many issues - and I have done so.

Edited by ness

I want a coat that goes down to the tail and down the sides as well, I want it lightweight and I want there to be enough room around their arms/shoulders so they can lay in it comfortably for obedience stays/waiting in the car, and be able to jump in it. Ruby was able to lay down in her borrowed cool champions one last night, but I obviously haven't tried jumping her in it, which is something I'd like to try as she isn't the best jumper anyway and if she feels restricted, she will hesitate and either won't jump, or mistime the jump and hurt herself.

Ptolomy, are you allowed a coat on them in the UD group stand?

Ah ok I thought you'd only used it for stays Ptolomy :laugh:. LOL RubyStar seemingly you just need to purchase every make and model and work out what is best for your dog through trial and error :laugh:. What I have done and I definitely am happy with my final choices :laugh:.

Edited by ness

Ah ok I thought you'd only used it for stays Ptolomy :laugh:. LOL RubyStar seemingly you just need to purchase every make and model and work out what is best for your dog through trial and error :laugh:. What I have done and I definitely am happy with my final choices :laugh:.

Soon to be broke student, can't afford to do that rofl1.gif

I have the silver eagle & chamois & both do there jobs differently .

The Silver Eagle stay wetter longer ,the chamois dry out quickly but are easier to wet down .I use the chamois for the quick ringside fix but prefer the Silver eagle if wanting longer use

I have the chamois and I LIKE the fact that they don't get as cold as the ones with the crystals in them. You want your dog cool, not chilled - disastrous for kidneys for a start.

I don't think you should put them on a dog and leave them unsupervised and you shouldn't put one on immediately after exercise - it cools muscle too quickly.

I have one of these that I need to sell. It's brand new, size 24, only been taken out of the pack to look at it, has blue trim. I ordered one and ended up with two! I'd also love a cool champions for Hamish but $$$$ is preventing that so for this summer we will be trying out this coat. (Oh and Hamish is a big BC, so I'm guessing this size would be ok on a Lab)

If you're interested I'm looking hoping for $25 plus postage.

The cooler runners chamois sort doesn't dry out quickly at all. They are meant to be stored wet and even left out of a bag to "dry" they are still damp a good few days later. I did do a comparison between the two and the Cool Champion was dry before the Cool Runners was.