How Many Dogs Are Scared Of Storms?

MrsD

What percentage of dogs are scared of storms?  

167 members have voted

1. 1. How many dogs do you have?

2. 2. How many of your dogs are scared of storms?

I have been wondering about this for a few weeks now since storm season is upon us & I read on DOL all the time about dogs that are scared of storms. Both Jarrah (Kelpie) & Whisper (BC) don't like storms, they aren't to the stage of being slobbering drooling wrecks, but are definitely stressed by them & always want to be in the house if there is a storm coming. Jonty our Sheltie is also a bit stressy, but not too bad, he mainly barks at the storm. Ebony (GSD) couldn't give 2 hoots.

So working on our household's stats, 50% are storm phobic in our household, if everyone could vote for how many dogs you have & how many are scared of storms I think it might give us an indication of the percentage of dogs who don't like storms.

ETA - actually, I'm not sure if the poll is going to work out the way I thought it would anyway, maybe just tell us :laugh: .

Edited by MrsD

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 dogs and really only my old boy that really stresses out. My youngster will sleep through storms unless they are really big.

Guest Maeby Fünke

I have one dog (a Pug) and he isn't afraid of storms.

MrsD, could you please change the poll so we can vote too? :)

One storm phobic dog here.

Honey gets highly agitated at thunder & would chase it if she could. It's wierd, it is almost like it sets her prey drive into overload.

I've been at a park with her just as unexpected thunder sounded and was so lucky she was next to me & that I caught her collar in mid air as she went to bolt. God knows where she would have gone. :(

I'm interested to hear what kind of symptoms other dogs have- are they all like my Honey or do some just want to hide?

Edited by dee lee

I have 4 dogs and 2 are scared of storms - they are the terriers and both need medicating. I don't normally get much sleep if the storms are in the night ...

Strangely enough, the Italian Greyhounds are a highly strung and nervous breed but I haven't owned/fostered one yet that has been storm phobic, they just don't worry about those things. :)

Only Feather shows concern but I've managed to reduce her anxiety alot just by acting as if nothing is happening, and even going outside to have a play with the dogs while it's going on.

My puppy hasn't experienced a storm yet so I dont know but I doubt she's going to be bothered by it if most of my others aren't.

Edited by Kirislin

I have 6 family dogs at home at the moment (2 Chi's are my my daughters).

My old flat coat is the only one who is storm phobic, Moraig is 9 now and has been gradually getting worse and worse. She's not too bad if my husband is home - apparently he can keep you safe from storms - but if he's on night shift all hell is broken loose. Its not unusual to have everyone in the house out of bed, she will barge into rooms and jump on the sleeper to come and join the storm party.

We do have a sedative from the vet but sometimes you don't know a storm is coming.

Mo has also eaten the back door once when we went out for dinner on NYE and the neighbors had early fireworks, at least she wants to get in the house not runaway.

Mo is generally a scardy type dog she seems to develop little fears and then get over them - the latest one is bees - hear a bee buzzing - time to act like a wild horse on the lead.

2 Dogs. 1 is stressed by storms, which is expressed with panting, a need to be near you (on top of) or demands for more attention. We all act like nothing has changed and treat her just as we would if there was no storm. If she is crated during a storm, which doesn't happen often, she will bark high pitched and stressy.

Willow joins in the storm with her thunderous snoring. She really couldn't give a hang. :laugh:

Stan is petrified of storms, also moths, flies, Xmas beetles and poo but he has a thundershirt which works well for him. Maddie was never worried about storms, fireworks are a different story, until we had the worst storm I've ever experienced last month and she was a drooling, quivering mess. I now have a thundershirt for her so I hope it works, we'll be trying it out on NYE.

I have 5 dogs and 1 of them is scared of storms. Her fears developed later in life when she was about 5yo. She isn't totally phobic, she just pants and whines etc. However once she is inside, she couldn't care less about the storm!