Worth A Vet Trip?

Guest donatella

Guest donatella

A few days ago after the groomer I noticed Bon scooting her bum and agitated. I thought she needed worming so dosed her up and no more scooting.

Then the last few days I've noticed Lucy licking her privates and she has never done that, but licking and chasing her down to clean obsessively (both are desexed).

I had a look at her this morning after it happening again and around her vulva I can see dried blood stuck to the hair and it's raw underneath but looks like it's healing. She is happy in herself and food 100%.

Does it sound like a UTI or infection of some sort? I'm wondering if they nicked her with the clippers but I don't think they groom that close?

Anyway is it worth a vet trip or monitor? I'm leaning vet but wondered if anyone knows what it could be?

The blood maybe be from her scooting. There is obviously irritation somewhere causing the scooting.

Olivia scoots but hers is because the fold around her vulva is prone to heat and moisture and so it gets yeasty and itchy. I find cleaning around her vulva and drying it really well helps a lot.

When she first started scooting we assumed worms or glands. The. Ore I watched her though the more I realised it wasn't her bum that was annoying her and that was when we discovered the problem It gets worse obviously in the hot humid times of the year.

Guest donatella

Yes I thought anal glands too but got down with my kitchen gloves ready to give them a squeeze and they felt normal. I think you're right and that it isn't her bum causing irritation. The vets will probably just give prophylactic ab's.

My girl gets a bit of a rash around her vulva occasionally and I use curash to ease the itch and dry it out. Works wonders. Don't let them give her prophylactic antibiotics. Use them only if there is confirmed infection.

Edited by Florise

Mainly just what you said before, making sure the area is clean and drying it thoroughly.

Also keeping her weight down - Annie is only a small dog, but the times when her skin became infected was when she was heavier than usual (not excessively, just slightly overweight). Because her vulva is tucked in a bit, I'm guessing the little extra weight made it easier for urine to get trapped there. She's down to her previous weight again now so it will be interesting to see if she gets it again...hopefully not!

My shepherd is suffering with a similar thing atm. It has been happening on and off for the past year. She has Neocort which I apply twice a day when she is having a flare up. We went away for 2 weeks last summer and by the time I came home it was ulcerated the poor thing. A dose of abs and Neocort cleared it but as soon as she starts to heat up it comes back. I am trying to keep her indoors as much as I can but I am worried about when we go on holidays in January again. I can't ask the neighbours to put cream on her bits for me :eek:.

The vet has suggested that we might need to operate to remove the fold if it keeps occurring. We are also trying to cut her weight down a bit to see if that helps.

I rushed my dog into the vet because I thought she had dry blood around her vulva too but the vet did testing and it came back that it wasn't blood, it was just irritated skin. My dog has(as someone said above about their dog) a lot of extra skin around her privates and the vet gave me Surgical Scrub to wash the area twice a day when it needs it, they then said eventually she may need surgery to get rid of the extra skin.

Guest donatella

Well I took her to the vet yesterday and she said it looks like irritation because she's overweight at 3.2kg and her belly hangs down. I honestly never knew she was overweight I can't see her under the coat. So we have ab's but I need to try some of the creams/rinses you guys suggested as it's really irritating her and she's miserable. Time for a diet!

Guest donatella

Yeah I need to try something, she doesn't lick she just moves around trying to scratch the area on the ground.

There was a small bit of yellow exudate and it smelt a bit off so I'm happy to try them :)

Donatella, looking at dogs with anything other than a smooth coat will give you no idea if they are overweight. You need to use your hands, you should be able to feel the last few ribs quite easily and also feel a waistline.

Unless it is for something serious and seriously urgent, I prefer to go the Calendula Tea wash. AB's can be good and warranted in certain situations, but they do have a tendency to unbalance the system. If the CT wash/rinse works to ease the symptoms (and you can pretty quickly tell if it does or doesn't), why move to administration of AB's?

And it won't hurt if your dog drinks the CT either - if she wants it, allow her to. Added advantage is that if she licks the affected area, she won't be taking in things orally that were only meant for topical.

Edited by Erny