Dog Beds - With A Twist

Rebanne

Due to spinal issues Fern is no longer allowed on the furniture. I've sold one couch and the other will remain but be barricaded off limits with the Bunnings compost panels, thank Dog for them! Just so visitors do actually have somewhere to sit, otherwise it would go too. She will no longer be allowed on my bed either :(

So I am looking for extra large dogs beds for Fern and Warrior. ( if she's not allowed neither is he ). They don't have to be super tough as they will be inside beds only but I was wondering about the memory foam mattress ones or the foam ones like an egg cartoon? At the moment all I really have are the hession mat's doubled up for inside with polar fleece blankies on top. Any new bed will also have the polar fleece on top. I think I would like ones with sides for winter time. I don't want to spend heaps on ones that the cushion is flat like a pancake in a short space of time but I am prepared to pay top dollar for ones that hold their depth. I'd need 3 ideally, 2 for the loungeroom and one for the crate in the bedroom.

Any one's dogs have the memory foam or similar?

Rebanne, I make round, no sew beds and every single home they have gone to report their dogs love them. I think the reason is the dogs can kind of burrow and snuggle in to them. They can also easily be washed in your washing machine and if the stuffing gets squashed you can always add more! My first one I made from second hand fleece baby blankets and a cut up doona that had already been chewed. Three or so years on and it is still in regular use!

I'm pretty sure instructions for these beds are pinned in the Craft thread but if not I'd be happy to explain how to go about it and show you some pics. They can also be made rectangle and square and as big or small as you want. How much stuffing you add is also up to you. It can be from old pillows, cut up doonas or whatever. You can buy old pillows and lounge cushions from op shops and simply wash it in an old pillow case in batches. It is perfectly fine. My dogs sleep on them summer and winter without any complaint - they burrow more in winter and kind of recline on them in summer.

I'm not sure if you need something sturdier though for Fern's back but you could still apply the no sew cover technique cheaply to memory foam.

Thank you Little Gifts, I will need something a bit more even and regular for Fern but you have reminded me I have a sewing machine and could quite easily whip up a couple of covers and put over some memory foam. It would most likely be cheaper then buying then but I am still hoping to hear from people whose dogs do have the memory foam.

We got the last shipment of these beds that Kyjen had made;

http://www.k9pro.com.au/instinct-nesting-bed-1476.html

We have had some one test here for the last six months or so and they hold the width really well and don't go flat. I have found they are really great for the 15 year old GSD here, and dogs really like snuggling into them.

Edited by huski

I got a memory foam bed for my dogs because I wanted something that wouldn't aggravate spinal issues. The normal round beds were no good because they would sink down in the middle and twist the spine, then I tried the flat foam beds (like a mattress) but the dogs wouldn't sleep on them. I ended up ordering a K&H ortho bed from the US which has sides and has held its shape pretty well and provides support, although I stuffed something underneath the foam to raise it a bit more.

Another one I've got which Kayla loves is the snooza jack's bed, though it doesn't provide as much support as the ortho bed because it's filled with stuffing rather than memory foam. But it doesn't twist her spine like the round beds do.

We got a memory foam bolster bed from Costco which was around $60. It comfortably fits out 37kg greyhound with room to spare and is the favored dog bed in our house. I don't know if you're near Costco or a member but I'm happy to check if they've got more if you like next time I'm in. It's got upholstery fabric and deals with our nester well and we can always add extra blankets and pillows if we want.

Thank you all. I feel a softish bed would not be too good for Fern. But those beds are beautiful Huski. A mattress is on the cards but I like the sound of the bolster bed. I looked at the K & H beds and they looked the bee's knees but at nearly $200 each, even though I am prepared to pay quite a bit, really needing 3, plus postage, does put them out of my price range kayla1. Brandiandwe do you have a link for your bolster beds?

been searching ebay, can get a cheap innerspring single bed mattress and then add a memory foam topper to it. Big enough for both dogs to sleep on it. Might be the way to go and I'd have to make a divider of some sort cause Fern's a bitch and doesn't like sharing.

http://www.graysonli...ess-size=single

If you are able to go and collect it can be really cost effective to set your budget and be patient in bidding here. I have picked up a Queen size Makin Mattresses pillow top for less than $200.

The trick is to note how long the auction has to go and only bid in the final minutes.

Edited by Ams

Sadly no because Costco Australia don't have them on their website. But here's a picture and a review:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/118454

Wow that bed looks amazing.

I can't wait till costco opens it's doors in QLD.

I will say that there are problems with it. The bolter makes a comfortable pillow but long greyhound necks are draped over it which increases the snoring and the puddles of snool BUT they love it. We also have two rectangular beds from them which are also apparently comfortable.

Sadly no because Costco Australia don't have them on their website. But here's a picture and a review:

https://www.ozbargain.com.au/node/118454

Wow that bed looks amazing.

I can't wait till costco opens it's doors in QLD.

I will say that there are problems with it. The bolter makes a comfortable pillow but long greyhound necks are draped over it which increases the snoring and the puddles of snool BUT they love it. We also have two rectangular beds from them which are also apparently comfortable.

Oh dear I laughed at the "puddles of snool" :laugh: finally I have a name for it!

Wow that bolster bed looks amazing. My dogs would love that!

I have also been thinking about dog beds today, and made two as follows:

1. Went to local curtain fabric shop this morning and bought some fabrics from their offcuts section - got 3 curtain fabrics all with the rubber backing, each piece large enough to make at least one large dog bed (two of them larger again - I have made 2 beds today from one of the pieces alone). paid a total of $10 for the fabrics, and another $5 for matching zips.

2. Went to Clark Rubber and after looking at all their foams ended up buying a soft foam single bed mattress which comes in a pre-made cotton cover. Cut it down to the size I wanted to make a bed for my standard poodle, leaving the cotton slightly longer than where I cut the foam so I could stitch it back up into a sealed insert. The rest of the foam is still sitting there and awaits a future project (perhaps a gift for my daughter's Borzoi).

3. I made a separate zippered cover to fit this as a bed for my standard poodle. It is a simple rectangle bed with a removable zippered cover and a handle along one side in the same fabric. Simple, basic, fits his crate perfectly. So far he doesn't seem to want to sleep on it though. But it's hot and at present he's sleeping on the cool concrete floor.

4. With the leftover of that same fabric, I made a bed for my older, much smaller poodle x (she's nearly 15, and her body is more tender). For her I made a bed with a lowish stuffed middle section, which is separately stitched and stuffed with an internal wall, and a very plump bolster type outer section all around which is also stuffed separately and gives her something nice to rest her head on. The stuffing for this came from my larger poodle's recently destroyed dog bed (I used about half of it). The old bed was destroyed but there was loads of good stuffing so I've just re-used that. The cover for this bed can't be removed unfortunately, but I will make a few removable covers for it tomorrow. I think I'll make them a bit like fitted bed sheets so I can remove and wash them very easily. At present she has her vet bed fleece on it (she leaks a bit of urine sometimes, hence the attention to waterproof materials and washability). She absolutely loves her new bed, and is sleeping away with her head over the bolster and her tongue lolling out. We have the whole thing up on the couch next to me, so she's sleeping like a queen. :)

All very cheap - spent $60 in total and this will be enough to make 4 complete beds and another 4 loose covers (like fitted sheets).

Just a thought if you get the sewing bug, as I did! Mind you, that Costco bed looks so good...