Jet Pets And Connecting Flights

Angeluca

where to they hold the dogs between connecting flights???

I have a pup going to tas in January. A connecting flight via melbourne 2 and a bit hour stop over, where do they hold the dogs between flights?

what safety guarantee in place??

I didn't organize the flight puppy buyer did and a little concerned. they pup will be crated from 8:30 am - 5 pm

My link

Maybe ring and see if this is standard or has to be paid as an extra? You can pay to have the vet bed fleece put in the crates which does wick away moisture to keep puppies dry.

Personally I wouldn't fly an animal at this time of year however if it is unavoidable be sure to choose a late or very early flight on a cool day.

Trouble with last flights though is that if they miss it they are stuck there.

Dogs only need to be booked in a day or so in advance & the long range weather forecast can be checked well in advance so arrangements can be flexible & changed if weather changes. Over 32 degrees in any of the states it goes through & lands & I wouldn't do it.

Phone Melbourne animal freight direct & ask where they hold the dogs.

The above story is tragic & obviously someone has been both stupid & negligent but this isn't the usual thing. Hundreds of pets are flown around Australia & most are fine but you must choose the time & day wisely too.

Guest Wildthing

Any pet flying must be at the airport cargo area at least 90 minutes before flight departure time. In hot weather, the animals should be kept in an air conditioned place (they are in Canberra). Flights should be organised for the cool in the morning to avoid the heat.

Jetpets provided me with a quote for transporting an animal from Perth to Canberra. There is a direct flight once a day. Jetpets decided to fly the animal from Perth to Sydney, board for 2 (two) days before flying it to Canberra. I had to push for an explanation as to why they would not fly directly. Reason the collection centre in Canberra closes at 9.00pm. Wrong, it is available for people to collect animals that have arrived on that flight and for freight to be unloaded and collected. They just do not allow people to lodge anything. I also do not understand why the animal would be required to stay for two days in Sydney when there are several flights each day from Sydney to Canberra. I would not recommend Jetpets as a result. If I can do the research and find out, then why can't they?

Do the research before handing the animal over to any freighting company.

I would get another quote from other carriers if you are not happy with the arrangements.

Wayrod on DOL comes highly recommended by many on this forum.

My Belgian girl flew from Hobart to Canberra several years ago, I arranged transport through Dogtainers, a company I have used a handful of times & I have always been happy with them. The dog would have had to come via Melbourne or Sydney as there was no direct flight at that time. Midniara put her on the first flight out of Hobart in the morning & she was in Canberra by 11.30am at the latest.

I would get another quote from other carriers if you are not happy with the arrangements.

Wayrod on DOL comes highly recommended by many on this forum.

My Belgian girl flew from Hobart to Canberra several years ago, I arranged transport through Dogtainers, a company I have used a handful of times & I have always been happy with them. The dog would have had to come via Melbourne or Sydney as there was no direct flight at that time. Midniara put her on the first flight out of Hobart in the morning & she was in Canberra by 11.30am at the latest.

I have used Dogtainers three times with no issues at all. I have also had a Belgian Shepherd puppy sent from Midniara in Tasmania to Perth WA, via a Melbourne stop over, with Dogtainers.

After the issue with Jet Pets, I wouldn't go near them at all.

Thanks for your replies

according to they buyer they have asssured him she will be in air conditioning during the stop over. she leaves brisbane at 9:30am and will get to melbourne at 1:30 leaving 2:30 getting to tas 4:30pm

the absortbant pad has been purchased. And he said it was the only one he felt comfortable with.

Well I would never used Dogtainers again after an incident back in 2002, I was exporting a puppy to the UK and this was in the middle of winter, he got to Singapore in the evening, of course temps there are still high, he was left on the tarmac for almost three hours and he suffered the same fate as this dog, also there was another dog going to the UK from WA she read the article in a canine publication about what had happened to my dog, she thought that it was an article about her dog going to the UK whom also died in Singapore, she contacted me and also the people in the UK expecting these two dogs that had died in Singapore, we tried to sue both Qantas and dogtainers, but was unsuccessful because of what the airlines will throw at you "Warsaw Convention" which covers them from legal action in the regard to animals travelling on their airlines.

I too was told that he would be well looked after by Dogtainers, air conditioning etc., it certainly did not happen, all that my friend in the UK got was small compensation from Dogtainers, I guess to save their "name" since then I have sent a couple of dogs to the USA and NZ, and used Jetpets with no problems and I have used Virgin and seen for myself that the puppies are left in the office airconditioning until time to fly.

But I always look at long term weather forcasts for here and their destination, personally I prefer that my puppies are sold locally and picked up by new owners.

I agree with the above posters...weather is so important. Ask about what happens in the event of a cancelled flight, (are you notified?) What happens after hours? What provision of care in in place? Puppies are so much more fragile than adult dogs, please be careful.

Stay in touch on the day of travel with the transporters.

Edited by redangel

In Florida, airlines aren't allowed to fly pets if the weather for the day is forecast to go over 85F at any point in the day. This basically eliminates flying from June through October. Vet check required within 10 days of boarding.

I'm surprised that the same sort of rules aren't in effect in Oz . . . Florida is anything but a Nanny state (eg, it's allowed to use dogs to run game, no BSL, restrictions on breeds and numbers only found in urban areas).