Dogs On Seats

tarope

Several months ago I was at my vets and my GSD was sitting next to me on the seat looking out the window...we were the only ones there and there were plenty of seats when a women who I found out from a vet was the vet manager Mrs Cranky (not her real name but should be) said "take your dog off the seat,we don't allow dogs on the seats".

I have been going to these vets for a few years now and have never been told to take my dog off the seat before...my other GSD used to sit on the seat too and nothing was ever said. I have been back several times over the last few months...only to notice many other people with their dogs on seats and nothing was said...even a large lab was on a seat. I said to the vet nurse if you don't want dogs on seats...put up a sign. One vet told me we have dogs on the seats all the time and didn't think it was a problem. :confused:

On my next visit all these blue signs were all over the place saying something like...seats are for people not dogs and cat carry cases are not allowed on seats either... or words to that effect. The strange thing is...next time I went back after the blue signs were up...I saw people with dogs on seats and a cat carry case too...and nothing was said. :mad

The vets there are very good and I don't have a problem...it's the staff that need an attitude adjustment and a smile wouldn't hurt either.

So people has this happened to you...please no arguments as to whether it's right or wrong...I just want to know if other vets do the same.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never heard it from my vet, my dogs have sat on seats in the past.

When I worked there it never bothered me. If they were sitting on chairs they were not cocking their legs on counters and displays.

I can't see the issue, unless of course there are people wanting a seat .

My GSD girl sits quietly and doesn't cause any trouble...don't know why maybe it's the breed...maybe Mrs Cranky doesn't allow her dogs (if she has any) on the lounge at home (unlike mine) and wants to enforce her will on others. :shrug:

I wouldn't consider her cranky at all.Personally not something i do or would do as like others what i allow at home is one thing .

I have seen dogs up there with owners who have no control & some rip the chairs with there long nails or trying to climb on to other people.

Personally i find vet waiting rooms a nightmare so always sit outside where my dogs are safe.

My dogs always sit on the seats at the vets and so do many other dogs I see there, no one has ever said anything and I would be quite upset if they did.

I too am very upset...especially when this "rule" is not applied to everyone. I told them if my girl damaged the seat,I would pay...but it seemed to go in one ear and out the other. :mad

It's a wonder they don't check my fingernails too..just in case I might scratch the chairs. I did tell one vet nurse who also told me to take my dog off the chair..."over the years I've been coming here I've more than paid for your chairs" but I just got a look.

Do I dare even ask what sort of chairs they are? I always figured a vet clinic would use tough, plastic chairs that can stand up to a beating. Their carry on makes it sound like the clinic chairs are $10,000 leather lounges or something. :/

Having said that, my clinic use plastic chairs and I don't think it's ever been an issue with dogs sitting on them. My dogs don't sit on them -- occasionally Kirah will sit on my lap -- but that's just my preference.

It has never occured to me to get my dog to sit on the seat at the vet :confused:

To be honest, as my dog is very stressed at the vet, it would make me nervous walking into a vet's waiting room with a dog sitting up higher than the other dogs. I would probably wait outside until called. Thankfully I have never been at a vet where this has been allowed!