Dogs On Seats

tarope

It's honestly never occurred to me to invite mine up onto the seats at the vet. I don't have a problem with it though, but wouldn't personally do it as my dogs have all the grace of an epileptic camel on acid, so I'm sure would do nothing but embarass me. I love my dogs. Sometimes I'm surprised they don't fall off the floor.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's honestly never occurred to me to invite mine up onto the seats at the vet. I don't have a problem with it though, but wouldn't personally do it as my dogs have all the grace of an epileptic camel on acid, so I'm sure would do nothing but embarass me. I love my dogs. Sometimes I'm surprised they don't fall off the floor.

Firstly :laugh:

Secondly, I agree. I've always had my dogs on the floor at my feet or on my lap. Never thought of calling them up on the chair.

We have no problem with dogs on seats at our clinic. In fact, quite often our clinic dog gets up with the clients too! :o The benches have vinyl cushion covers so easily cleaned, and we have a leather couch too which again is easy to wipe down. We usually only have 1-3 people waiting at any time so there is plenty of room. Our clinic is very focused on keeping dogs and cats calm and happy, so if a dog is happiest sitting up with its owner, that's fine with us. :)

None of the vets I use has any animals on seats. The GP is usually so packed people are lucky to get a seat.

And personally, I don't want to sit on a chair at the vets where a dog incubating parvo, with a smelly vaginal discharge, a contagious skin problem, or with gastro may have been sitting .... apart from the dog hair.

Dogs on seats are for home. Although I admit to owning one, who on every outing, leaps into any and every empty chair she finds *sigh*

The only time Stella has got up onto a seat in our Vets waiting room was to use it as a stepping stone to proceed attempt to jump out of the window :o. Sonny likes to sit on the floor in the corner. Facing the corner,maybe if I don't look no one will see me & we can just go home LOL

I see a lot of dogs on laps but not very many on chairs. Doesn't bother me though either way. I never sit down anyway. We wait outside until we get called straight into his room. A good vet visit is a quick one :)

Edited by BC Crazy

Maybe the vet is sick of people treating their pet as their child and dragging them everywhere, treating them like a human and such? Maybe having your dog sitting on a seat next to you is part of that in her mind?

Just throwing that in there?

How would a vet know whether or not people are treating their pet like a child and dragging them everywhere, treating them like a human etc.,?

The seats are vinyl not that expensive and plenty of them...no person stands while dogs sit on seats. Chloe is a little big to sit on my lap... Tara use to sit on the same seats for years and nothing was said. Don't know why the change of attitude...as you can't punish everyone for the few bad owners because people will soon go elsewhere...sounds like BSL for vets.

I wouldn't consider her cranky at all.

When Mrs Cranky walked out..Chloe was sitting next to me with her head on my shoulder and clam yet she still said take your dog off the seat...the vet called her Mrs Cranky... he would know because he works with her. :eek:

Misty always use to sit on the seats at the vet, I didn't "invite" her, she always hopped up herself and sat beside me. nobody had ever said anything except "aww how cute!". Gem sits on chairs too, but she is not as obsessive about it as Misty was, Gem is perfectly fine waiting on the floor she just joins me on the seats sometimes. Misty would have had a panic attack if she could not sit beside me on the seats lol

I think your Mrs Cranky is a bit over the top. At my vet dogs and cages are on the bench seats or the floor. Personally my dogs stay on the floor but I always put the cat cages on the seat so my cats are not subjected to strange dogs sticking their noses up close.

Actually I get peed off when I see dogs on seats, I don't want to sit on a chair a dog has just sat on!

chairs are for people, not dogs.

my dogs sit at my feet at the vets, but I often see dogs on laps and on chairs, many snarling and growling as I walk past with the stupid owner molly coddling them. :mad

Guest Maeby Fünke

My Pug sits on my knee.

I have never seen a dog up on a seat at the vet's. They're always sitting on the floor.

I think it's fine to put crates up there but I wouldn't let my dogs sit up there.

My dogs don't do it but as a customer it would not bother me to be at the vet and see another dog sitting on a chair unless it pooed, peed or puked on it! If I was vet staff and I had to clean all the nooks and crannies of a chair after it had purged on I guess I'd be Mrs Cranky too!

My dog likes to sit on the seat next to me and lean. I think she finds it comforting - she is a little freaked out by the vets (or I am - hard to tell). My vets - one has a vinyl covered bench all around the room, and the other has plastic chairs. I wouldn't let her sit on a cloth covered chair.

It has been quite helpful at several vet visits. One time the height off the floor protected her from a smaller dog that escaped the owner. It couldn't quite reach or wasn't quite sure about jumping to attack - from the floor. My dog ignored it and the dog was recaptured without problem.

Another time - my dog got on the chair in the exam room. We had been waiting quite a while. So the vet when he finally came in, did the exam with the dog on the chair.

My local vet has bench style seating with vinyl covering and they have signs asking that you don't let dogs sit on the seats. I usually wait outside with my dogs anyway, I don't want them waiting inside the vets where sick/diseased dogs frequent. And if it's busy, there is undoubtedly going to be some idiot who wants to let their dog jump all over mine (where is their common sense, who knows what disease or sickness another dog could have!!! Dogs are often stressed and sick at the vets. It's not a social outing.)

I walked wisdom into the vet when she was heavily pregnant the other week, heading straight through into a consult room and some idiot with a young bouncy dog let it hit the end of the leash trying to jump all over her. I had a go at them and they were like "come here schnookums, they won't let that dog be your friend". Seriously!!