Dogs On Seats

tarope

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a very popular and well respected surgery, the vet nurses have been there a long time, and there are alot of them.

I'm sure threatening to take business away will have little effect, and they are good vets.

I would suck it up,i find most of the nurses ok, the odd one is bit full of themselv's :laugh:

Then you know what it's like...yes the vets are very good but they're not the problem. When the manager (you know who) and the staff at the counter tells you to take your dog off the seat and the vet says "we have dogs on the seats all the time" and doesn't think it's a problem then something is very wrong. Years ago the staff were very nice and that's what you want...but it's not like that now.

I don't care how popular they are either and I know they couldn't care less if I went elsewhere.

I've only been there twice and even I recognise the seating.

Was this before or after the signs went up. In march at dog training I was asked what vet I went to and this person said..oh they don't like dogs on seats...I said I've never been told that...little did I know what was coming. :eek:

OT - but I don't see the issue with clinic dogs or cats either as long as they are not going up to patients or getting in other dogs/cats faces. Most clinics see both dogs and cats so the chances are eventually there will be at least one of each in the waiting room together at some stage.

It is my responsibility to keep my dog quiet and well behaved. That includes when the clinic cat walks along the bench or may walk across the other end of the room

I've seen a clinic cat run into the middle of the waiting room, do a crazy cat dance, trigger all the dogs in the waiting room into prey drive and all dogs were more than close enough to grab it. Sheer luck that the cat didn't get eaten, not every dog owner there would have been savvy enough to react quickly if their dog had gone to grab the cat.

I was picking my cat up from the vet I board her at (not where I take my dogs) and the large clinic dog came out from behind the desk (no staff in the room at the time so the dog was roaming unsupervised). It approached an owner waiting with their Swf who let the greeting continue. just as I started to say "that dog isn't showing good body language I would move your dog away" the clinic dog had a go at the Swf and a fight broke out.

There may be clinics that responsibly manage clinic pets but I don't think they are a good idea for the majority. IMO they shouldn't be allowed ANY free access to the waiting room or other places clients and their dogs frequent.

Edited by huski

My first wheaten was a bit of a mountain goat. Would climb anything. When we went to the vet, he'd climb up on the first empty chair then climb across the rest until he found one he liked. Only one vet nurse called me on it and then the practice manager came out and said, he does that all the time. She was completely unconcerned.

I think it's nice to ask not to have dogs on seats but they are a vet, not a fancy restaurant.

I just had a Whippet cross in at the vets on 3 occasions in 3 weeks and he'd leapt onto the bench seat before I'd even sat down, he was quite insistent and as he was an anxious dog, I decided not to make him worse.

Noone said anything - if someone had needed the seat I'd have got him on my lap.

What really hacks me off is not dogs on seats, it's the people that come in - despite the vet request on the front door - with dogs off lead, loose cats they are holding and so on. Now that is disrespectful, rude and risky.

It amazes me that some vet businesses - and they are businesses - have "clinic" dogs and cats wondering around waiting rooms. Where is the risk management? Do they not have any health and safety procedures in place? The cavalier attitude towards the safety of their clients - and their "clinic" pets - is gobsmacking really.

Was this before or after the signs went up. In march at dog training I was asked what vet I went to and this person said..oh they don't like dogs on seats...I said I've never been told that...little did I know what was coming. :eek:

I get why you are upset, but is it really worth ruining your week over? It seems to be one of those things its just best to move on from and not worry too much about.

You can't always fix stupid. Not even with duct tape. ;)

Can't say I have ever paid attention as I waited outside.

You missed my point though - it is pretty clear to a number of people which vets you are talking about and you're not being too kindly about some staff and you may be doing yourself a disservice if you intend on using them in the future.

I've never seen dogs on seats at the Vet and it would never occur to me to invite them up. I wouldn't do it at anywhere else but my house, even then it's the lounge not the dining room chairs etc

A vetinerary clinic is hardly someone's lounge or dining room.

Mine always sit on the seat. Never occurred to me it was an issue

My chin is dropping and my eyebrows are disappearing into my hairline --- I can't believe that some people find it so offensive.

So many people worried about sitting on a chair after a dog? Very strange. I think I would be more worried about sitting on a chair after the last person, much more likely to catch something.

LOL - me too.

I never put my cat crates on the floor, so many imbeciles let their dogs go straight up to them

Exactly. Some cats are incredibly sanguine at vets, but I imagine the majority would find it pretty damned stressful to be at eye level with strange dogs, people, and have no way of escape.

I am surprised that so many people are do venemently anti it. They are dogs you are not going to get any more germs sitting on a seat after a dog than patting a dog or sitting next to one on the floor.

:laugh: :laugh: Voice of reasons

Letting a dog up next to you or on your lap if it is uneasy or scared is comforting, what a load of crap that its enforcing bad behaviour.

This sort of crap really annoys me too, Rascal. I can't imagine not comforting a person or an animals if they are upset, sick, hurting.

Where the chairs aren't suitable, I've been known to sit on the floor at the vets to be next to my dog. I'm sure some people cluck with disapproval. But that's their problem.

Are you well? :D :D

Can't say I have ever paid attention as I waited outside.

You missed my point though - it is pretty clear to a number of people which vets you are talking about and you're not being too kindly about some staff and you may be doing yourself a disservice if you intend on using them in the future.

Glad some people know which vets I'm referring too...the more people that know the better as everything I've said is true...the whole purpose of this thread is to let others know how some staff treat some people...go there put your dog on the seat and see what happens...you'll either be told to remove it or nothing will be said...what a joke. I suppose in the end it's all a matter of how much crap a person is prepared to take...like any other business if staff don't treat clients with respect then they will go elsewhere.

After working in a vet clinic for almost 13 years I have come across many lazy vet nurses that will b>%#h and complain about any extra work. It takes a few seconds to wipe down a seat or mop up a wee, nurses are paid to do it as part of their job discription.

If it were me I would make it very clear to the vet in charge how unhappy you are. We had a couple of girls fired over the years due to customer complaints.

You can't always fix stupid. Not even with duct tape. ;)

Best comment of the thread.

But, in all honesty. I'd much prefer to have a dog or a cat carrier sitting calmly on a seat instead of on the floor where they're possibly going to pee on merchandise (or all over the floor in my boys case, he really loves them pats from the vet nurse)

Just curious to those who think it is ok?

Do you let your dogs jump on furniture of people you are visiting?

I don't think dogs should be on seats in public places for all reasons mentioned here

fur, skin infections, parvo, ect!

Dogs should not be peeing on stuff inside either, that is just plain bad owner!

Dog should be sitting at your feet, (on your lap for smaller dogs) Not at leads end wondering up to whom ever should walk past.

It annoys the crap out of me to see a dog shedding, licking it's ass or worse a excited male with his penis out of it's sheath dragging all over the seat!!!!!! or a female is season or with leakage/discharge sick2.gif

For frig sake yes it's the nurses job but she may not be ablt to get to cleaning the seat after a dog sat on before the next human does. Kids often go to the vets too, the usually have to place their hands on the seat to climb up, then where does that hand go!!!!! in their mouths againsick2.gif

Seriously curiosity and manners just don't exist anymore.

Edited by Angeluca

I can't see how parvo is less or more risky from seats as opposed to floor? And if someone is leaking, what's the difference then I'd hope the owner deals with this appropriately and brings a dang towel.

Also kids in vet waiting rooms can be as bad as clinic cats. I'd much rather a dog on the seat haha.

Not great parenting to let your kid touch get his hands on everything, you don't imagine there's germs on things there? Not everything is the dog owners fault. And peeing on things does not a bad owner make. Have you ever had a dog or cat with a bladder chill? No one gets much warning. Marking is another story, but pee and fur and disinfecting is part and parcel.

I personally don't pop mine on the seats, Gus is too big but happy for someone with a smaller dog to do so. Just makes it easier on me, one less butt for him to want to sniff (and be denied)

Also re cat carriers. I'd much rather they were on seats! A hissing spitting magic box on the floor is a challenge for even the best behaved dog...