Dogs On Seats

tarope

Without entering into the argument but if a dog is reactive it is often better for the owner to be calming and "molly coddling" it. I cop a fair bit of flack for rewarding my reactive dog which in actual fact is distracting him and not letting the situation escalate. One of the paradoxes of a reactive dog.

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dogs that are reactive do it because they are fearful, comforting and settling them makes them less frightened therefore removing some of the reactive behavior.

Growing up we had a 65kg GSD named King, he was the most confident bomb proof dog, except at the vet clinic.

Normally he did not get on any furniture but at the vet he would half climb on our laps because it reassured him everything was ok.

A couple of my less confident dogs will mostly ignore other dogs if up on the seat or my lap but on the floor they feel more threatened and will bark and carry on.

Without entering into the argument but if a dog is reactive it is often better for the owner to be calming and "molly coddling" it. I cop a fair bit of flack for rewarding my reactive dog which in actual fact is distracting him and not letting the situation escalate. One of the paradoxes of a reactive dog.

Hankdog, I was just reading about that, somewhere. There are times when preventing escalation is the wisest thing to do. Owners have to make a judgement call, based on their knowledge of their own dog.

Jodie sometimes jumps up and down onto the sear next to me. Being active and thinking seems to keep her brain calmer and distracts her from cats, bunnies, birds or snarly dogs she might have to notice otherwise, if she doesn't have a job to do. If there's a long wait we'll go outside again.

The other dogs are too big to be on seats. Stevie only thinks about liver treats and when she might beg for food. I'll put our cat cage up on a seat rather than the ground, if there's space.

My dogs are too big to allow on the seats at the vet, so they are leashed tight and under control in front or next to my feet. When they were pups, they were crated and placed in the same place.

I'm not really a fan of dogs on seats in a vet clinic myself - they are actually for humans to sit on.

T.

Wow. I am amazed at the range of really strong opinions on this. I had no idea. I figured the seats at the vet were for whatever anyone wanted to put on them, all creatures great and small, and their handbags too.

It's the Vet's - it's probably cleaner than your average café toilet. Humans generally don't get diseases from animals and when they do - you can expect space suits to come out (eg Hendra).

If my dog is not harassing you or your pet or the clinic cats (our vet keeps them in an aquarium up high), then I don't see what the problem is. And there has been plenty of good research that debunks the comfort encourages bad behaviour from dogs (and children), there are some studies that suggest that comfort reduces anxiety (isn't that obvious) and reduced stress and anxiety improves the chance of treatments being successful (and the chance that the dog will be calmer next time they visit the vet).

Some dogs have been known to fake it... My dog routinely fakes play invites to get off lead - and then she go-sniffs and ignores the dog she was previously inviting to play - much disappointment all round. It's not that hard to tell when the dog just wants to be picked up and cuddled and when it's genuinely freaked out. For starters - if it's freaked out - it won't accept food. If it's faking - it usually will accept food or some other distraction.

Chairs were not invented for dogs to sit on, and i'm sure vet practice's put them in for humans, i don't see why its hard to be respectful.

I'm off to the mentioned vet to gets meds in the morning i might report back about how many dogs are on seats :laugh:

Wow. I am amazed at the range of really strong opinions on this. I had no idea. I figured the seats at the vet were for whatever anyone wanted to put on them, all creatures great and small, and their handbags too.

For me its simple - seats are for humans, kids move off them for adults ALWAYS and dogs are only allowed on them when invited by the owner of the establishment in which the chairs are placed. To me it is simple courtesy. I've been shocked by how many people think its okay to let their dog do it :laugh: as I would NEVER allow mine to do it any more than I would allow my child to sit in a seat whilst an adult stood.

ETA - would people allow their dogs to sit on chairs in a cafe or is it simply because it is a vet's surgery it is okay?

Edited by Trisven13

I don't allow my dog on a seat near where food is being served. Unless that's the only way I can keep her safe from freely roaming small children. And then she's on the same seat as me, behind me, and we're close to a wall.

I feel a bit the same way about small children, seats and adults. If it helps the child's care taker take care of the child - they can have my seat.

I've not been in a vet waiting room so crowded that there were not enough seats for everybody. I probably wouldn't feel safe there. Mostly there's not more than one other critter there and we're usually by ourselves. Sometimes I ask if it's ok to have the dog on the seat - and both vet places I go to are fine with it.

Chairs were not invented for dogs to sit on, and i'm sure vet practice's put them in for humans, i don't see why its hard to be respectful.

I'm off to the mentioned vet to gets meds in the morning i might report back about how many dogs are on seats :laugh:

Don't forget to check out the signs and if dogs are on seats ask Reception why they allow some dogs on seats and not others. :scared:

I wish vets had a better system for their waiting rooms. Small fenced cubicles and better time management maybe. We enter via the side door because we are speshul but now that the leaks and gremlins accompanying others' critters have been pointed out I'm looking at it a whole new way.

For me its simple - seats are for humans, kids move off them for adults ALWAYS and dogs are only allowed on them when invited by the owner of the establishment in which the chairs are placed. To me it is simple courtesy. I've been shocked by how many people think its okay to let their dog do it :laugh: as I would NEVER allow mine to do it any more than I would allow my child to sit in a seat whilst an adult stood.

Yes! That's exactly how I feel about it