Reaction To My Dog

GSDowner

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some people may be crossing the road because THEIR dog is the problem. My cute, fluffy border collies hate GSD. I always give them a very wide berth.

Yep. This would be me too.

AND it's not even the other dogs that they want to get to/at. My girl wants to play, my boy tells her off, she reacts and then my older girl barks at them both. Quite a comedy, but quite scary if you can't see why its actually happening - just easier to avoid oncoming traffic. :)

I'm quite happy about people crossing the road with their dog when they see me coming. I figure their dog has a problem. I usually just give them a wave and call out 'thank you'. They usually wave back and give me the thumbs up, (not the finger).

I may have been one of those people keeping out of your way and moving to the other side of the road with my small dog.

My once bomb-proof, small, dog-friendly dog got jumped on by an over enthusiastic "friendly" large dog whose owner wasn't in proper control of it. For a long while after that he was aggressive towards large dogs (especially if they displayed puppyish tendencies). It was a real shame and I blame myself for not seeing it coming but it happened all too quickly.

Though I must admit if I saw a lovely, old, well behaved german shepherd I would just melt and goo all over it and want to give him lots of pats :D

Perhaps we need how to meet a dog training in schools.

I forgot to answer, we have that here in some schools. The kids who have had it are pretty cute. They come barrelling towards us, stop running about fifteen metres away, speed walk closer, stop at about three metres, and very seriously say 'can I pat your dogs please?' The seriousness of their delivery is undercut by their puffing, sometimes from having chased us from across the park, and from the fact that two of my three are straining towards the cuddle machines with madly wagging bottoms and tails. When given the all clear, they approach the dogs slowly with their arm out straight and the back of their hand out and attempt to allow the dogs to sniff them before attempting to pat them. By this stage, two of mine have bypassed the pleasantries and are attempting to lean against children who weigh less than they do. Kids dissolve into giggles and lean back or cuddle mine to their mutual satisfaction and delight, while the parents catch up, apologise, and try to explain that the two greys who are in the thick of the attention are, in fact, dangerous and lulling everyone into a false sense security. Ok. Maybe not the last bit every time, but the rest is pretty accurate.

It's a great programme.

I have to say, the best antidote I know for people who are concerned about your dog is to demonstrate it is under effective control.

I'm not frightened of dogs (well, not often) and I'll take a course to avoid if one approaches pulling madly on its lead with the owner powerless to stop it. Nothing about such situations gives me confidence. Give that dog a "heel" command and have its focus on you as you come up and I'm far more relaxed. :thumbsup: Ditto for pulling off the path and having the dog hold a sit.

I always move off the path for pedestrians and cyclists.

Edited by Haredown Whippets

I have to say, the best antidote I know for people who are concerned about your dog is to demonstrate it is under effective control.

I do this if I see that kids in particular are scared. Have the dogs sit and do some focus as the kids walk past. I often hear the adults then talking to the kids saying stuff like 'look how well behaved those dogs are, don't be scare'.

I understand how you feel walking a large breed and some people's reactions can be hurtful. I love watching people cross the road with little uncontrollable dogs and use it to educate my daughters why training is so necessary (sometimes in a loud voice if the dog is yapping and lunging at us).

Best one was a mother who grabbed her daughter's hand saying "bad dog vicious dog". Without thinking, I tightened my dog's lead and replied "bad child, vicious child". Mother demanded why was her child vicious and I asked why was my dog? This made her think and after a quick chat (during which I put my GSD into a sit/stay) she asked if her daughter could meet my dog. A happy ending that could have gone very bad in a public place.

Don't worry I have a GSD and a RR and people have always been scared to come near the shepherd but were quite happy to go straight up to the ridgeback but he is the one you have to watch, my female shepherd is very good with people. But she know has 3 legs and gets weird looks and comments that its cruel to amputate its leg. The poor girl cant win.

Last weekend a lady ran and screamed from the wolf she saw walking past on a lead. Nope, just a well behavioured black 5 month old German Shepherd who just looked at her antics and sat down when I stopped for her to get over her fear. She pleaded with me not to let him go near her. I hope she doesn't see him in a years time - she will pee her pants.

When we go to (used to go to due to holidays) school to pick up my daughter the kids love him and one little 3 year old there to pick up older brother (toddles up) and just holds him around the neck crooning 'ogg ogg ogg'. He has been going there since 8 weeks so everyone knows him and loves to do high fives and just sit beside him and pat him. Most kids are appropriate in meeting him as they have a dog appreciation afternoon in Prep and Grade 1. Ones that are too forward are often shown by the others what to do. It is really nice to see children train children.

I love watching kids and dogs together in harmony. And as all here I'm sure, hate watching those youtubes of anxious dogs reacting to children.

Big, small, it doesn't matter to some. When my mini schnauzer was 3 months old, he apparently was a terrifying sight because a woman in the park became hysterical at the sight of him and scooped up her poodle and ran away as fast as she could.

How can anyone be scared of a baby schnauz? With their little faces with beard hair going in all directions. I love those faces.

I understand how you feel walking a large breed and some people's reactions can be hurtful. I love watching people cross the road with little uncontrollable dogs and use it to educate my daughters why training is so necessary (sometimes in a loud voice if the dog is yapping and lunging at us).

Best one was a mother who grabbed her daughter's hand saying "bad dog vicious dog". Without thinking, I tightened my dog's lead and replied "bad child, vicious child". Mother demanded why was her child vicious and I asked why was my dog? This made her think and after a quick chat (during which I put my GSD into a sit/stay) she asked if her daughter could meet my dog. A happy ending that could have gone very bad in a public place.

Have you considered that these people with dogs that are yapping and lunging are doing the right thing by crossing the road to avoid you? Surely you wouldn't prefer that they pass you in closer proximity? Reactivity is caused by a variety of reasons and can be really hard to cure. Most people who own reactive dogs find it very embarrassing and wish to the core of their being that their dog wouldn't behave that way. So I don't think it's very nice to take such a 'holier than thou' attitude about it all and make the incorrect assumption that every case of reactivity is caused by a lack of training.

When I owned Rotties we took advantage of the crowd parting abitities by taking at least one to Flemington Markets with us on a Sunday (not the food markets) - much easier to make your way through the crush of people that way... *grin*

The illusion was usually shattered when we'd stop and buy the dog an icecream... people would stop and take photos of the dog having it's treat, and then all the kids around would ask to have a pat/cuddle. My dogs loved their Sunday outings to the Markets... lol!

I remember one time when my current old girl (Rottie/Pittie cross) was having a lovely time playing ball and chasies with some kids at a local park. She'd been playing with them for about 10 minutes before the mother asked me what breed she was... and when I told her, she started yelling for the kids to get away from the "vicious" dog... the kids decided to ignore her, funnily enough, and kept playing with their new best friend... hehe!

Not all large dogs are child/dog killers, just as not all small dogs are nasty snappy yappies... but there are obviously enough of both out there to keep the myths of same alive, yes? Best to give any/all dogs some space when they are out on a walk unless the owner indicates that the dog would like some further interaction with you or your dog.

T.

Guest hankodie

Have you considered that these people with dogs that are yapping and lunging are doing the right thing by crossing the road to avoid you? Surely you wouldn't prefer that they pass you in closer proximity? Reactivity is caused by a variety of reasons and can be really hard to cure. Most people who own reactive dogs find it very embarrassing and wish to the core of their being that their dog wouldn't behave that way. So I don't think it's very nice to take such a 'holier than thou' attitude about it all and make the incorrect assumption that every case of reactivity is caused by a lack of training.

I absolutely agree raineth. I've spent a great amount of time, money and effort on managing my dog's reactivity. We've seen so many professional behaviourists and trainers. She's got a lot of health issues and isn't quite all there in the head. She isn't able to control her excitement like a "normal" dog can. When we are out on walks I cross the street out of courtesy to the other dog owner to avoid any unpleasant interactions as they are just trying to walk their dog in peace.

I have learned how to manage her reactivity and excitement to the best of my ability but to some extent she is, and always was going to end up this way. It's definitely not because I haven't trained her, that's for sure. My other dog has impeccable manners.

I hope you never end up with a reactive dog HugL - it's incredibly stressful and often sad. Please keep that in mind before you tar us all with the same brush.

If you're bothered by people's reaction to your dog, try walking down the street draped with a pet snake!

That sight would probably have me running to the next suburb, let alone running across the road.

T's Rat would certainly have me crossing the road with undue haste.