Taking Names For Litters

africandreams

I advertise on my website after I've decided which pup/s I'm keeping. I thn advertise the others for sale - so when pups are 8 weeks old.

However I get a constant flow if enquiries year round. I often advise ppl who ave enquired that I am expecting a litter. I will send these ppl weekly puppy pics of the litter but they are aware that no pups are considered available until 8 weeks of age.

I don't have a waiting list as such because this implies first in best dressed. I select homes that I think best suit each pup, whether they enquired a year ago or a week ago.

Until pups are on the ground and you know colours/ sexes I don't think there's much point advertising.

I have always found I have far more ppl wanting pups than I have pups avail. So I don't feel any need to advertise until I know exactly what's going to be avail.

Edited by indigirl

Once confirmed in whelp. I do need to get it out there cause 1) there are never enough people wanting greyhound puppies and 2) the ones who think they might like a greyhound puppy never think they are available.

There is a mating planned for next year and I do have that on my website, no details, just litter planned for 2014.

As per others, when confirmed in whelp I put that on my website as an 'announcement'. Before that I just give a rough idea of when a litter is planned. I also have a fairly regular stream of enquiries. I have a basic process and a questionnaire once people get to a certain point in enquiries and use this for a 'waiting list'. Waiting list isn't first come first serve though and I make it clear from the beginning that this is the case and I will place pups in homes best suited to their needs. I have a decent sized list of people waiting, but the 'best ones' seem to rise to the top as things proceed. At least my experience to date. I do have a less numeric breed though and some waited 2 years to get a pup and were on my waiting list that long.

Edited by espinay2

As Secretary of a Club I usually get 2 or 3 enquiries a week with people wanting British Bulldogs.

Now that I have advertised a litter due early January I am getting up to 5 or more enquiries.

I am extremely weary with every enquiry. Yes I know most of them are genuine with the odd dick head thrown in there and I tell them that there is no "top of the list" for anyone and no decision will be made until the are at least 4 to 6 weeks old. If they are prepared to wait then that is good. If not, then it's no skin off my nose. I didn't breed a litter for the market in the first place as at least 3 to 4 puppies are already spoken for.

Espinay2 I would like to get an outline of your basics and questionnaire if that is OK. Then I can perhaps do my own in relation to my breed. This is my first litter in 8 years and have always found fantastic homes for our babies but its a different world out there now and the goal posts have changed with backyarders and crosses etc.

Once you know your girl is due in season soon (squeeeeeee) I would put on that I hope to have puppies available in (month) 2014, If I write due in say may people think they can go home in may so its easier to do that.

I never say sire or dam (but thats just me) I tell people when they enquire seriously

I think it depends on the breed,the normal availability in the state & whether other breeders are having litters around the same time & whether there a breed easy to sell.

We have a very easy to sell breed so taking names isn't a requirement but we do take all contact seriously & certainly embrace those people that tick all the boxes for our breed.

Mostly I have orders for pups before I breed my bitch. When I have enough orders, I would generally breed a litter then.

One litter with another bitch I had to look to place 3 pups as she had all boys and people wanted bitches from her. So I had to keep them a bit longer and take them to sheepdog trials and they then sold from there.

I advertise when confirmed in whelp. No point in advertising before, so much can happen. I do not as such take names waiting. I have found too that many who ask to go onto a waiting list, do not want to wait and often will get a puppy from somewhere else sooner. Depending on the time of expression (generally after bitch has come into season to the birth of the pups) I will let them know I have a litter of X males and X females.

I do not take deposits until the pups are two weeks when the eyes open. Some pups are obvious pets based on markings etc and I will say these are available. Depending on what I am wanting to keep, some sexes may also be available before my choice of keeper at 8 weeks.

I usually have about three times the people as possible for pups at any given time. Because I ask them on their application what gender and colour they want, it weeds out some when the litter arrives, but generally I know what I want at birth and by a week, I start sorting out what is going where.

This give people time to pay the amount in payments which I find easier for many families to manage instead of a lump sum. By the time the pups are 8 weeks, all paperwork is done and usually available, pups are paid, travel arrangements are done and they all tend to leave within a few days of each other.

I keep people up to date on things via the litter page of my website. It's easier than contacting each person separately until we get to the six week mark, and then it's one on one due to travel needs and other specifics.

Although I 'advertise' It's not all that needed and I've had many litters where it's never been posted anywhere.