Epilepsy

BC Crazy

Better epilepsy than disease. Although blood testing does not rule out many other causes of seizures.

At least with epilepsy you know you can gain some control and she can lead a full and happy life. Most dogs live very well with epilepsy, as do humans.

yes!

glad you now know :)

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the best with Stella BC Crazy - while its not easy to come to terms with I think epilepsy is a better diagnosis then the BC collapse. My understanding is that epilepsy can be well managed with medication if necessary.

Guest hankodie

Oh BC, so sorry to hear :hug::hug: but like others have said at least it sounds like it will be manageable and she will still have a chance to live a long, full and happy life. And you sound like a fantastic owner, Stella is lucky! All the best.

Thanks everyone so much for your advice, kindness & support :thanks:

I am relieved to have a result & know what I have got to contend with now.

Am still deeply saddened about it as my girl has so much promise but I guess that really hasn't changed. Will just have to work

around her health issue now is all. The main thing is she is happily enjoying life apart from her Epilepsy.

Edited by BC Crazy

Oh dear BC, but at least you know and can work with it/around it now. I distinctly remember when Emma was diagnosed with diabetes, I thought the world was coming to an end! But it doesn't you learn a lot and you figure out what you can and can't do and you adapt life a little bit and it all keeps going on and you tend to make sure you make the most of those fun times just a little bit more because you've had a bit of a scare.

It will all be ok, because Stella has a person looking after her who will do everything possible to give her a normal life!

Thanks Pretty Miss Emma. Honestly she is running around today having a absolute blast chasing birds. She is a very happy girl.

I am coming to terms with this diagnosis. I think it was just the first seizure that really terrified me as I didn't know what was going on.

Seeing he paralysed & so distressed was more than a little confronting.

Now I can understand that this may well happen again but she isn't going to die. She just needs some special care to make sure she is safe. I can cope with that.

Got our blood work results back for Stella today & she is Epileptic unfortunately :( The tests showed nothing sinister going on which is good to know though

I guess. Just got to keep a close eye on her & note any seizures/turns she has. If they become more frequent the Vet will organise medication for her. I am getting my head around this now & learning more about it is helping to do that.

Wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her if you saw her atm. After a 3 hour walk/swim/ball retrieve, just got home & she is flying around the backyard with

an empty milk bottle in her mouth, growling her head off :crazy: She's back.... :laugh:

BC can they diagnose epilepsy from blood tests - I didn't think they could? I have a poodle boy here who has occasional seizures and I was told it is a process of eliminating other things rather than being able to definitely diagnose epilepsy.

Its scary when it happens :(

BC can they diagnose epilepsy from blood tests - I didn't think they could? I have a poodle boy here who has occasional seizures and I was told it is a process of eliminating other things rather than being able to definitely diagnose epilepsy.

My understanding is that the diagnosis of epilepsy requires ruling out other causes . . . the blood tests help do that but do not show positive signs of epilepsy.

As others have said, if your dog responds well to medications, epilepsy is easily managed with pills. The meds are cheap. The blood work to make sure the medication level is right can be fairly expensive.

Rosetta, sandgrubber is correct . It is a process of elimination. They test for other things that can cause seizures. Stella's test results came back perfect. Otherwise she is very healthy. She wont be put on meds unless the seizures become frequent. Everything crossed here that they don't. Some dogs that are Epilepsy effected may only say have 2 seizures a year in which case can be managed without meds. Apparently Stella's grand dam is effected like this. She is almost 12 years old now I believe. Never needed meds. Still enjoying life to the fullest.

Some dogs are seizuring a lot & that can take its toll on the poor dogs mind & body. Thats when meds are very necessary.

Atm we just go along as normal. See how Stella goes. I am regulating her exercise/ stress levels to ensure she doesn't get too hot or try not to let her get too stressed as both these factors are big triggers for her to seizure.

Edited by BC Crazy

Rosetta, sandgrubber is correct . It is a process of elimination. They test for other things that can cause seizures. Stella's test results came back perfect. Otherwise she is very healthy. She wont be put on meds unless the seizures become frequent. Everything crossed here that they don't. Some dogs that are Epilepsy effected may only say have 2 seizures a year in which case can be managed without meds. Apparently Stella's grand dam is effected like this. She is almost 12 years old now I believe. Never needed meds. Still enjoying life to the fullest.

Some dogs are seizuring a lot & that can take its toll on the poor dogs mind & body. Thats when meds are very necessary.

Atm we just go along as normal. See how Stella goes. I am regulating her exercise/ stress levels to ensure she doesn't get too hot or try not to let her get too stressed as both these factors are big triggers for her to seizure.

Oh OK BC - I thought you meant that they had diagnosed it by blood test. My boy Jack has an episode about every 4 months - no need for meds at this stage. I can't identify any triggers either - seems random.

Hope Stella isn't too badly effected.

Thanks Rosetta :) Yes I'm hoping her seizures are seldom so as I don't have to put her on meds. I am going to look into natural aids as they may help her. Has your boy always suffered seizures ? They are frightening to witness aren't they? Gosh if Stel has them too often she wont be the only one on meds. She may have to share her Xanax with me :laugh:

Got our blood work results back for Stella today & she is Epileptic unfortunately :( The tests showed nothing sinister going on which is good to know though

I guess. Just got to keep a close eye on her & note any seizures/turns she has. If they become more frequent the Vet will organise medication for her. I am getting my head around this now & learning more about it is helping to do that.

Wouldn't know there was anything wrong with her if you saw her atm. After a 3 hour walk/swim/ball retrieve, just got home & she is flying around the backyard with

an empty milk bottle in her mouth, growling her head off :crazy: She's back.... :laugh:

Its scary when it happens :(

This is true. There are dogs that begin having seizures after a stroke as well, or many other causes. A full work up of seizures involves an MRI and taking a sample of the fluid around the brain to rule out anything happening there as well.

Edited by Jumabaar

Thanks Rosetta :) Yes I'm hoping her seizures are seldom so as I don't have to put her on meds. I am going to look into natural aids as they may help her. Has your boy always suffered seizures ? They are frightening to witness aren't they? Gosh if Stel has them too often she wont be the only one on meds. She may have to share her Xanax with me :laugh:

BC, Jack had one a few months after we adopted him aged two - he may have had them before but we don't know. We rushed him to vet but he had recovered by the time we got there and they could not find anything wrong. They are mild compared with others in that it is mainly ataxia and confusion and shaking. Interestingly the vet is reluctant to prescribe him any drugs to help with his separation anxiety as they may bring on a seizure but your Stella has Xanax?

That's very interesting that your Vet is reluctant to prescribe any drugs Rosetta. My Vet has never said anything along those lines to me & Stella has been on Xanax & Endep for well over 12 months now. Might be worth me asking him the question???? I hope that it certainly isn't the case. Stella is a very reactive & noise phobic girl. She also self harms so I would hate that to be the case :(

My daughters little dog has epilepsy & has had it for many years. She is being managed on a very small dose of the medication,& still has the occasional little turn, but it was interesting to note that she was told that environmental factors can trigger a fit...amongst them, loud noises & flashing lights & stress. It is very scary, I once saw her fall from a 6 foot balcony, as she had a fit on the balcony & there was no one close enough to stop her falling. :(

Sheena, how awful for your daughter little dog. And to fall over the balcony :( Good to hear that she was managed well on a small dose of meds.

Very interesting indeed to hear of the environmental aspect. As you might already know Stella is very reactive/noise phobic & is very anxious. I was wondering with her being this type of dog would it effect these seizures in as much as would she be inclined to seizure more as she is so anxious.

When she had her first seizure she was very stressed as our neighbor was whipper sniping right near our boundry fence which sets her off. So she was running around the yard, whining, so I quickly went to find her & that's when she was just starting to seizure on the ground :(

All those things you mention are all huge triggers for her anxiety. Loud noises, flashing lights etc etc There is a pretty extensive list unfortunately.

I have an older dog who has petit mal 'turns'. A couple of years ago they increased from occasionally to two or three times a week. I got on to Robert Mcdowell, Herbalist in Bathurst...the dog has been on his Epilepsy drops since then, and has only maybe two or three turns a year! Highly recommend him, and he will talk you though diet too...

I have been in contact with Robert & have ordered some Epilepsy drops & also some recovery drops for after she has a seizure. I also ordered some Nervous Rehabilitation drops to help Stella nervous system. Hopefully we may be able to calm her down a little.

Very helpful guy & excellent service.

Thanks so much for the heads up regarding this Herbalist brighthelm. I doubt I would of thought of this type of avenue & it's got to be worth a try :)

Edited by BC Crazy