Epilepsy

BC Crazy

Would also like to know more about the Magnesium flakes, if it can be purchased here, I have been reducing my little dogs medication due to his liver levels being up, so far touch wood no seizures, but if something else could be given that could help I am all for that.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In deciding how often you should do this you have several things to consider - the body needs a steady intake of magnesium throughout the day and most

oral supplements have little magnesium because of what they use to bulk it up and they are not slow release - so orally you need magnesium in food or supplements about 4 times a day at least until you have given it a fair while and levels have had a chance to pump up. In humans they recommend 1/3 of a cup of flakes to 2/3 cup of distilled water and sprayed on but its got to get on the skin several times a day and so to get it on the dog is a bit more of a challenge because of the fur. I would consider putting into a sauce bottle and at least getting it on some of the dog's skin at least twice a day for several weeks. Humans also soak in the stuff made from the flakes in a warm bath or foot bath.

Then you need to ask if you can work on anything that may have brought you here - take a good look at what you feed in case it is low in the right type of magnesium or low in things magnesium needs to assimilate properly - for example vitamin B complex is one of the big things to help it absorb properly .You can be feeding a food which says it has magnesium in it but what type of magnesium and does it have the live vitamins which have not been killed off in cooking or storage to put it together?

If your dog food just says magnesium its probably the cheap stuff- magnesium oxide which is horrible for absorption so you don't want just magnesium or magnesium oxide.Magnesium Malate is the one of choice for oral supps.

The short answer - there isnt anything to worry about in giving too much -its water soluble so what you dont need washes out - at worst you see runny poos with oral supps and you know to back it off a bit . you can give a larger dose and see later on that you can back it off as side effects - runny poos are showing. Ask your vet if your dog has any signs of kidney problems first too.

Remember from all reports you dont see miraculous instant over night results quite often and it's more likely to take several weeks or even months depending on the individual and its a good thing for all of us to monitor not just for our dogs but because its been linked to lots of brain issues as we age and lots of us and our dogs are deficient in it. It doesnt just show up via brain issues either. The big deal is that ordinary blood tests dont pick up what is going on inside the cells so just testing for magnesium levels isnt a good enough method of testing.

Thanks for the suggestions folks.

Ness, Interceptor was the product I was thinking of. Have used it on Stella when she was a puppy. For the moment am going to just use a plain Heartworm tablet monthly as I have a bottle of stomache wormers to finish off. After they are gone I'll swap over to the Interceptor & stick with the Advantix for the Tick & flea protection. I have decided to do the same with Sonny as well & not get the annual heartworm injection.. it works out muxh cheaper as well.

Milbemax is the same drug as Interceptor but as a plain tablet, not a chewable. Mine hate the chews so I am now using Milbemax and it works out cheaper as well. I buy mine online from Stefmar.

Thanks Dancin. Yes I have just brought the plain heart worm tablet. Miles cheaper too your right.I just figure the less chemical Stella has in her body, the better. Like not the whole 12 months worth at once like with the injection.

She has been back to the Vet as she has had another seizure & she is now on Epilepsy medication so will see how she goes with that. I still have her on Kalma 3 times a day for anxiety. Getting her medication right may well be a work in progress but if we can get the seizures under control will be a huge plus IMO. Far less stress on her.

Thanks Dancin. Yes I have just brought the plain heart worm tablet. Miles cheaper too your right.I just figure the less chemical Stella has in her body, the better. Like not the whole 12 months worth at once like with the injection.

She has been back to the Vet as she has had another seizure & she is now on Epilepsy medication so will see how she goes with that. I still have her on Kalma 3 times a day for anxiety. Getting her medication right may well be a work in progress but if we can get the seizures under control will be a huge plus IMO. Far less stress on her.

Encouraging to read of Stella's progress with the medication.

I hope everything does settle sooner rather than later.

This will take a while to even out but at least it's progress for sweet Stella.

Hugs to you both

:heart:

BC Crazy how long as she been on Advantix for and have you ever trialled her off it? Just wondering because my kelpie suffers greatly on Advantix and develops aggression and other personality changes, there is no visibly skin irritation it seems more neurological, I no longer use it any more and she is back to her old self. Just thought I'd mention it in case it's something you hadn't thought of. I spray her with permoxin for ticks now.

Vizsla momma, thanks so much for your very kind words of caring support & encouragement. Very much appreciated :thanks:

Stella is certainly a very special girl & my mission is to make her life as comfortable & peaceful as possible.

I have organized a Vet Behavourist to come to our home for a 2 hour visit to hopefully help me with some ideas to manage her.

Wish us luck. Really looking forward to his visit.

KC, Stella has been on Advantix since she was 12 weeks old. Very interesting to hear about your Kelpie. I haven't heard of such a reaction. Lucky you picked it up quickly.

Edited by BC Crazy

Quick question guy's. Stella has been incontinent on & off since she had her first Epileptic seizure 5 months ago. She has only been on medication for the seizures for 5 days now & her incontinence has increased dramatically. Poor girl is having lots of accidents in her sleep, then wakes up in such a shock. Looks around & jumps up quickly moving away to find somewhere dry to lay down again :o Is there anything I can do/give her to help her or should I just contact our Vet??? It is so unlike her as she never had an accident even when I first got her as a pup. She is such a very clean girl & I can tell this is upsetting her in all honesty.

She isn't sleeping through the night & is waking 3 or 4 times for me to take her outside as well but her bed is still saturated in the morning. She doesn't see to have any accidents during the day which is strange IMO.

Hmmm perse I was thinking the same but didn't want to seem like a panic merchant. Not thinking to clearly lately, sleep deprived & quite worried about her actually. She is such a precious girl to me & real sweet heart. I'm trying so darn hard to make her as comfortable as possible. Getting nowhere atm though :(

Anything you notice from anti-seizure medication should be relayed to your vet. Different ones work in different ways so you can get some odd reactions but there are lots to try to find the right one smile.gif

She may already have a slight bladder weakness, that you'd never noticed, and the meds are making it worse.

Is she on Pb? If so, it can cause ataxia. Bromide can also. It takes some weeks for the meds to settle and her body to adjust.

What can also make it worse is that Pb can increase thirst, which increases the amount they drink and consequently, the frequency of urination. You may need to help encourage her to urinate prior to laying down for the night and even restrict her water for the period she would normally be asleep. Only for this period though as being thirsty and not having water wouldn't be ideal.

Stella is on Phenomav Anne. I have noticed a marked increase in her water intake since she started this new medication.

She only had one accident last night before bed time but none over night which was great. Always happens when she is sleeping. I only left a small amount of water out over night for her. So maybe it is just her body getting used to the new meds. I have a Vet coming out on Friday so I will discuss this issue with him.

It will be the Phenomav (phenobarbital aka Pb). Glad to see she is settling. It takes time with Pb but once you get it right, things can be very smooth sailing, so hang in there.

We always had to have a dog door for Monte because he could not hold for long even after he settled with his drugs. He used to drink quite a lot.

Stella is on Phenomav Anne. I have noticed a marked increase in her water intake since she started this new medication.

She only had one accident last night before bed time but none over night which was great. Always happens when she is sleeping. I only left a small amount of water out over night for her. So maybe it is just her body getting used to the new meds. I have a Vet coming out on Friday so I will discuss this issue with him.

Phenomav sort of sedates the animal. Dear Stella may in fact be sleeping thro' the signals to relive her bladder.

(((HUGS))) to Stella & BC Crazy

Edited by VizslaMomma

Yes VizslaMomma that is exactly what I think is happening because she is sound asleep then all of a sudden she jumps up but it is too late. She does seem to be 'very relaxed 'at times . Not nearly as nimble on her feet either as she usuallly is .A bit clumsy poor girl. The Vet did say it will take a week for her system to become used to the drug then she should be ok. So hopefully this behaviour is part of the teething process. I must say I have never seen her sleep so well which must be a good thing. She never has been able to sleep cause she is always so anxious & tormented .

Edited by BC Crazy

:) that's a better post - glad she had a drier night!

When mum's old girl started wetting overnight , I used these over her ordinary bed . It worked really well :)

They look great perse. Washable too. I actually went & brought some disposable puppy training mats & have lined her bed with those.

Quick up date regarding Stella. We are now on day 7 of Phenomav & yesterday we had our first totally 'dry' 24 hours :cheer:

She also seems a lot more steady on her feet of late, so am hoping the teething period is nearing the end & she is beginning to become accustom to it. :crossfingers: it stops the seizures or at least lessons them. That will be wonderful. I have the Behavioural Vet coming out on Friday to assess Stel's anxiety/reactivity issues & also give me some skills to help her improve. Very much looking forward to that :)

Edited by BC Crazy