Singleton Pup - Foster Or Not?

jupiterlights

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow how sad. :(

it's more than sad it's disgusting and the kind of day you really don't want to be known as a "breeder" and lumped in the basket with them

I have to agree. It is sad.

Having read through this whole thread in my opinion it is cruel to just do a c section and leave the bitch with nothing. Yes I know, it happens that puppies can be delivered dead and the bitch ends up with no babies to rear but in this circumstance that is not the case.

I don't agree with what has happened but obviously our opinions are only that. Opinions.

At the end of the day it is the breeders decision.

Wow how sad. :(

it's more than sad it's disgusting and the kind of day you really don't want to be known as a "breeder" and lumped in the basket with them

I have to agree. It is sad.

Having read through this whole thread in my opinion it is cruel to just do a c section and leave the bitch with nothing. Yes I know, it happens that puppies can be delivered dead and the bitch ends up with no babies to rear but in this circumstance that is not the case.

I don't agree with what has happened but obviously our opinions are only that. Opinions.

At the end of the day it is the breeders decision.

I bet the breeder isn't the one who is now dealing with the mother and the fallout from taking the pup from her.

Too many know-nothings now in the dog world with absolutely no idea that bitches' have feelings. Or know that and couldn't care less. Shame to be lumped in with people like that.

Until we get people like that (and the vet) out of the fancy, we will always be at the mercy of animal rights. And why not?

I do feel for Jupiterlights, having to endure what the bitch will be doing now. And I feel for the poor bitch. Just a tool

Edited by Jed

Guest Wildthing

Why on earth do people want to interfere so much with dogs being dogs and allowing them to simply do what comes naturally ? My heart goes out to the bitch Stupid. Some expert the vet is - not.

The almighty dollar - breeder and vet.

I too have read this thread. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion.

NONE of you know the circumstances surrounding this whelping dilemma and IKNOW that all the decisions made were in accordance with:

1) Bitch welfare

2) puppy welfare

3) Owner welfare

4) Breeder welfare

5) Vet advice

I am surprised that the Owner has not given you all an update on how the bitch is faring, my belief is that she is doing really well.

Did she tell you the reaction of the bitch toward the puppy? NO.

There is not enough information given on this thread about the breeder and the vet involved. All you can do is 'bag' both of them.

They ARE both very experienced and all has turned out really well. You haven't heard that the excellent result of this episode.

BTW I am not the breeder of this litter, just a breeder who has been privey to ALL the facts of this and before giving advice on these forums ALL the facts should be printed so you can then forward your opinions.

I am glad to see some more info printed - thank you for the update .yes, we can only go on what posters choose to share- and it is always nice when an OP comes back to fill us in - everyone learns a bit that way :)

going on this opening statement -

The breeder and reproductive Vet have advised that it is in the best interests of the pup to go and be raised with another of the Breeder's Bitches who has whelped 6 today, but lost one (these pups will be two to three days older than my pup). I certainly recognise the developmental and social advantages for the pup to go to be raised with a litter.

My question is about the affect of this on my bitch. I have had advice from the Vet saying "she will not even notice" through to she will fret so badly you may need to sedate her in the first 24 hours. This is a working dog who has a strong bond and trust with me as her handler, and has two other dogs to live with, so this may assist her to cope.

it seemed to me a decision had already been made by the breeder ...come what may - and it was a decision which made me uncomfortable , as did the apparent advice given by the vet!!

Presuming the bitch made it a bit easier by reacting badly or indifferently to the pup( as so many do after a C section, and being a maiden bitch) .... I hope owner and bitch are recuperating well .

Edited by persephone

I too have read this thread. Yes everyone is entitled to their opinion.

NONE of you know the circumstances surrounding this whelping dilemma and IKNOW that all the decisions made were in accordance with:

1) Bitch welfare

2) puppy welfare

3) Owner welfare

4) Breeder welfare

5) Vet advice

I am surprised that the Owner has not given you all an update on how the bitch is faring, my belief is that she is doing really well.

Did she tell you the reaction of the bitch toward the puppy? NO.

There is not enough information given on this thread about the breeder and the vet involved. All you can do is 'bag' both of them.

They ARE both very experienced and all has turned out really well. You haven't heard that the excellent result of this episode.

BTW I am not the breeder of this litter, just a breeder who has been privey to ALL the facts of this and before giving advice on these forums ALL the facts should be printed so you can then forward your opinions.

You are correct, we were given one side of the story, and commented on that. Until we receive another side of the story, I shall let my original comments stand. You haven't told us much, so there is nothing more for any of us to say.

This is an open forum, the breeder is welcome to come and have a say.