What To Feed My Staffordshire Bull Terrier

Staffy26

Hi, my name is Daniel and this is my first ever post. I have a Staffordshire Bull Terrier who is 11months old and we treat him like our baby! A little while ago he lost interest in 2 different lots of his wet food that he had grown up on along the way, recommended by the breeder. He still eats his dry food though, but the only real other thing he will eat other then scab our food is chicken necks with his dry food... he seems to be too into wanting our food then turns his nose up at his own food seemingly because we don't have it.

I just want to have him eating his food properly and would like to even make up food for him so in a way he thinks that it's proper food and is still good quality for him. ...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you

Hello and welcome Daniel

Could you perhaps be over feeding him so he is just not hungry?

Maybe you could feed his dry from a kong or something similar so it is fun and rewarding for him.

I'll tell you what I feed my dogs to give you some other ideas. Mine are a lot older and different breeds though.

They get nutro dry each morning and night. With this they will get one or two of the following: chicken necks, tinned sardines, some tinned nutro, spoonful of natural yoghurt, grated carrot or apple, or some appropriate table scraps. Occasionally they will have a turkey neck on its own as a complete meal too.

Hope this helps :)

He's trained you pretty well hasn't he :-)

Just give him the food you want him to eat and leave him for ten minutes. Whatever is left gets taken away and he gets nothing - no treats, no scraps, absolutely nothing, until the next meal time. He's getting to the age that his major growth is done (bone wise) so he needs less food so he can afford to miss a meal or two.

Once you have retrained him to realize that you give food at set times and he'd better eat when it's offered you can try him with different foods if you want to. Mine get a mixture of dry and raw - chicken bodies, beef ribs, sardines, eggs and kangaroo mostly.

Edited by Sandra777

Like we say to our puppy owners you can spoil your dog but never loss site of the fact there a dog & need to be treated as a dog so they can enjoy there life.

Your pup is 11 months so plenty of time to set new rules & get him into a nice routine that is all about him .

Your dog isn't turning his food up because your not eating it,he just thinks the grass is greener on the other side but often the scraps & stuff can be more harmful for the dog .

Like others have said you can add things or he can just have his dry & the odd necks,

You can add raw meats mutton,roo ,chicken we never feed beef,You can add fish,yoghurt etc etc but i wouldn't go crazy and add everything

Good quality is like a can of worms

If your boy is eating chicken necks, I trust they are raw. Maybe he's trying to tell you something. I would try him with more raw food over time and then if he takes to it, base his meals on what some of the previous posters have said and give him a bigger variety of meat proteins, cottage cheese, plain yoghurt, egg, sardines and edible bones as in chicken carcasses, wings, necks, veal rib bones etc.

Thanks everyone for the reply and advice!

I don't think it's overfeeding because he seems to always still want something. He gets about 4-5 raw chicken necks in morning with his dry food then same at night. I didn't know they could eat yoghurt and things like that he occasionally sneaks in a bit of ice cream when we have it so I think he'll like that! Any recommendations...?

He does love carrots and watermelon that we give every now and then when we eat it.

I think he is of good size and weight but then I seen a picture of one that was 9months that looked a bit bigger then him like thickness and size but maybe it's the way the picture was and I'm with him everyday so I don't have the perspective of others looking at him.

:) Dogs are opportunists ..they will eat and eat ..esp teenage boys!!

may I suggest you try chicken wings, or chicken carcasses instead of necks? I have had, and so have others, instances of chicken necks being swallowed and causing some choking issues ...