Sunburnt Nose Or Something Else?

cavmad

Am hoping the DOL brains trust can give me some info on what is wrong with my Stella's nose. I am thinking sunburn but am not sure. It doesn't appear sore and she doesn't dig or anything so it's not from that. I am off to the vet with her this afternoon but I just thought someone might be able to give me a heads up. If its sunburn, I'm thinking I'll have to keep her inside during the day which she will hate :(

post-11278-0-86954700-1388090863_thumb.jpg

Edited by cavmad

Nasodigital hyperkeratosis would be my guess. I seems quite common in the cavalier population that I see on my grooming table. Out of interest cheek her feet too for signs of deep cracking, feathery looking growths or horny growths. A good check up at the vet. If it is this condition there doesn't seem a lot for it except management with oils and creams and things.

I'd say it is possibly hyperkeratosis, as Skyefool said.

It's reasonably common. I've seen many pugs with it and Monte used to also suffer from it.

Is it dry and cracked or does it weep? Your best best is to have it checked by a vet. If it is dry, Vaseline or a good heavy balm applied frequently usually helps. That's all I treated the Monte and the rescues with and all was good.

Two vet opinions and a piece removed in surgery for further testing still didn't reveal the answers for my Millie's nose that started out like that. Hope you can get answers! But there usually isn't anything that can be done, except for applying creams and stuff when it gets cracked and sore, and keep them out of the sun as much as possible and lather with sunscreen/zinc when sun can't be avoided. Let us know how you get on at the vet!

I can't really offer any answers as to the cause, but Lucas Paw Paw ointment will probably help greatly in reducing the cracking and healing. It is basically Paw paw extract in a medical grade petroleum jelly base and is quite thick. My vet recommends it for all sorts of sores, cracks etc. It is available from Supermarkets and chemists.

Obviously your vet will be able to give the best advice, but I am sure that using this topical ointment will do no harm.

EDIT- If you are going to use this or vaseline - make sure you don't allow you dog out in strong sunlight with this on - best to use at night to heal.

Edited by Yonjuro

Cavmad what was the outcome of the visit to your vet?.

If Discoid Lupus was diagnosed then I can recommend Aristocort, a human cortosteroid cream.

I had a sheltie who was diagnosed with DLE.(via biopsy) We tried various drugs and also took him to a vet dermatologist who suggested food with proteins which Panda had not had before.

Aristocort finally did the trick.

Cavmad what was the outcome of the visit to your vet?.

If Discoid Lupus was diagnosed then I can recommend Aristocort, a human cortosteroid cream.

I had a sheltie who was diagnosed with DLE.(via biopsy) We tried various drugs and also took him to a vet dermatologist who suggested food with proteins which Panda had not had before.

Aristocort finally did the trick.

This is good to know. My previous dog never found anything that worked...

So I will commit this to memory (and hope I never need it) but it may be useful one day.