Information On Dobermans

whitka

Ok then, what are you looking for in a dog, do you just want a pet, are you planning on showing, doing dog sports, doing schutzhund or any other sports? There are a lot of different Dobie types in Australia and they all do different things. But a lot of dogs, can do all of the above, they won't be brilliant at anything, but bring a lot of fun to the families who own them.

I want first and foremost a pet but I also want to trial in agility and Rally O and I would like to get into showing. I want a dog bred for good temperament and health. Would prefer from show lines instead of working.

But still in the research stage so just after some good books/websites.

Edited by whitka

I want first and foremost a pet but I also want to trial in agility and Rally O and I would like to get into showing. I want a dog bred for good temperament and health. Would prefer from show lines instead of working.

But still in the research stage so just after some good books/websites.

I am not a Dobe person. But I don't think I'm wrong in saying that an awesome breeder could be infinitely better than any books or websites :)

Maybe see if you can find a breeder willing to talk to you?

The books that really know our breed are almost impossible to get hold of - the generic ones are not worth it.

For websites try these:

http://www.dobepac.com/

http://www.dpca.org/BreedEd/

Both are great the dpca has alot of information - some of it may be more geared to breeders but its broad based.

Noticed you are in Vic. Feel free to contact me privately with any questions you may have or even if you wish to meet some adults and see if they are really the breed for you.

Edited to add our prefix is Bisart and you can get contact details via the breed listings if interested.

Edited by Bisart Dobes

Plenty of GSPs and similar build dogs do agility, can't see the problem with a dobe. If you want to get to the top you probably can't go past a Border but since the OP wants a dobe that is probably not what she wants anyway....

Also, if I remember correctly, Schutzhund is not allowed as private sport in Vic :(

What books are you referring to Bisart Dobes? I have found the situation similar in Weimaraners but have been lucky to get my hands on some second hand books and one author was nice enough to send me a pdf (and also trusting enough!) for a small fee :) Would be interested in some good books on other breeds as well (apart from the generic xyz makes great guard dogs and family pets! :p )

Edited by BlackJaq

Thanks Bisart ill be checking out those websites. Im aware that dobes are prone to a few health problems which is why im doing my research and will be very careful in choosing a breeder who is serious about health testing. With agility I don't plan on being serious its just for fun. I have been around dobes before, my aunt had a gorgeous girl and two years ago my partner and I looked after a friends dobe for a few days but we would also be happy meeting more dobes and owners :)

I wasn't sure about contacting breeders just yet as were not sure when we will be getting a puppy but hopefully next year or the year after.

Edited by whitka

My Dobe did Obedience and agility with no issues, as did another Dobe in WA who became a very highly titled dog.

PIty my dog died at 8 years of age. Do your research adn only go to breeders who health test. As you would already know the test don't cover everything but they are a bloody good start.

Awesome breed.. Growing up we had 2 dobes, both from good breeders.

Both boys had the most amazing temperaments and really were family dogs.

Our first guy, Dylan, was from a Gold Coast breeder and he was tall and very lean. Our second guy, Benson, was from a local breeder up north and he was more thick set than Dylan was..

Research for good breeders and the will tell you everything you need to know..

Agree, talking to good breeders (preferably more than one!) is awesome. Often these people dedicate their whole lives to learning about their breed. No offence to any youngens, but the older types have generally been around longer and many will remember important events in the breed first hand, hence the more knowledgeable people you can speak to the more you are likely to learn.

Many good breeders will be willing to chat to somebody who is genuinely interested in their breed and love to educate (as the better educated puppy buyers are, the more likely their puppies will be well understood and cared for and the less likely they will be to be ditched, especially for breed typical behaviors!)

I would also try and find people already using a dobes for what you have in mind so you can make use of their first hand experience. I know people will tell you a dog is a dog and training one breed is no different from training another, but in my personal experience this is simply not true (and I bet many breed lovers here will agree)

Edited by BlackJaq

Whitka contact the breeder via email, with what your life is like and what you are interested in a Dobie. Let them know when you are looking at a puppy (ie. if your not ready for at least a year...) and start the process off. Check what sort of health testing they do with their dogs and check if any if their previous litters have done what your looking for. If you don't go in demanding, most breeders are proud to talk about their dogs. :)

Thanks Dobiemum were really keen now to get puppy especially when the breeders that we are interested in have litters. I think we are waiting till we move to Melbourne for my partner's work which will happen next year sometime or maybe even the year after but were just waiting for my partner's boss to hurry up and decide what he wants to do. Its so frustrating waiting :laugh: I've already bought a great puppy book to prepare us.

Edited by whitka