5 July - EGODC

NSW

13 July - Grafton

10 August - DogsNSW

ACT

June. Date TBA

SA

21 June - GSDCSA

Time to dust off the bike and get out the lycra!

M

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm hoping to do it with my sibe now that she's old enough. Need a bike first though... :)

The willingness test scares me though :( I worry that she will do the one before hand, do the run and then go nup I'm tired not doing the one after the 20km and then it will all be for nothing!

I'm hoping to do it with my sibe now that she's old enough. Need a bike first though... :)

The willingness test scares me though :( I worry that she will do the one before hand, do the run and then go nup I'm tired not doing the one after the 20km and then it will all be for nothing!

Don't be worried about the willingness test. It is NOT an obedience test. When judging, I look for the dog's "willingness" to work for you. The dog does not have to perform perfectly. It just needs to be willing to follow your instruction. You can physically assist the dog to complete the exercise and you can give double commands.

Any questions, please ask. I have competed in 9 of these tests and judged in Vic and the ACT since 2003. Happy to help.

M

Which VIC ET would you recommend for a newbie who has ridden a bike once in the last 10 years?

Also what would you say the chances are of the temp exceeding 20degC? I know the test is cancelled if it exceeds 24 but I don't think I would feel comfortable running her in anything over 20deg as she will have her full thick undercoat in winter.

Generally I stick to under 25/26 for walking, under 20 for running and under 15/12 for sledding depending on humidity.

This year I WILL do it! I had a bike disaster last year, last time I buy a not-even-that-cheap bike from Big W. I have a good bike shop next to my work, hopefully they'll give me a discount on a GOOD bike!

So looks like July 13 for me :)

Now the hard part....teaching Cleo to go slower than she's inclined to.

Which VIC ET would you recommend for a newbie who has ridden a bike once in the last 10 years?

Also what would you say the chances are of the temp exceeding 20degC? I know the test is cancelled if it exceeds 24 but I don't think I would feel comfortable running her in anything over 20deg as she will have her full thick undercoat in winter.

Generally I stick to under 25/26 for walking, under 20 for running and under 15/12 for sledding depending on humidity.

The GSDCV runs their test at Cherry Lake in Altona. This is a great course for the newbie. It is all level and most of the course is on a paved surface. Dalmatian Club also runs an excellent ET at Springers leisure Centre.

Whichever you choose, there are plenty of people on hand to encourage and assist you, from the judge, club officials and other competitors.

M

This year I WILL do it! I had a bike disaster last year, last time I buy a not-even-that-cheap bike from Big W. I have a good bike shop next to my work, hopefully they'll give me a discount on a GOOD bike!

So looks like July 13 for me :)

Now the hard part....teaching Cleo to go slower than she's inclined to.

Good luck! A good bike shop will give you great advice and get you started for your cycling. This forum will give you great advice to prepare you for your ET.

M

• 2 weeks later...

Positive step for me, I talked to the guys at the bike shop next to my work and we talked about what i'm doing and the best set up for me, so we're going for a Giant and I think it's a hybrid sort, not a road bike and not a mountain bike but sort of both. Another bonus is the $100 discount WOO! :laugh: That helps, can't wait for it to arrive, now i'll be watching out for my deliveries and their deliveries!

:thumbsup: That sounds like the bike my local bike shop advised for me. Found it very comfortable - easy to ride - and not too heavy - so easier to put on the bike rack. Hope yours is as lucky for you as mine was for me. I still use mine occasionally to have a ride with the dogs.

Hudson and I started our training today, 3km at show pace or maybe a tad quicker (need to get the speedo in my bike up and running!).

He was ready to go again! HR was still normal at the end, so I am so happy!

I think we are going to enjoy preparing for this, we will be able to do quite a bit of distance by the time the trial comes around!