Endurance Test 2014

My bike came in today (awesome turnaround!) but now I have to pay it off...hubby won't let me use his credit card to cheat and get it quicker lol.

I'm like you Elise, I loved the prep last year...the few times I did it before my bike just failed.

I am so in love with my bike :) lol.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My bike came in today (awesome turnaround!) but now I have to pay it off...hubby won't let me use his credit card to cheat and get it quicker lol.

I'm like you Elise, I loved the prep last year...the few times I did it before my bike just failed.

Would you mind sharing (a link?) as to what bike the shop recommended as suitable for an ET? :)

Would you mind sharing (a link?) as to what bike the shop recommended as suitable for an ET? :)

Sure, http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/rove.3/14944/66432/ this is my bike, the guy asked what I was planning on doing and recommended it based on that. I just said I was doing on and off road, like on grass (not mountain biking!). I am really happy with the choice, the guys at the bike store actually let me take it home before paying it off :) (well they know where I work and we've worked next door for 3 years so he knows me I suppose!) it's been raining though, so haven't had a proper ride yet!

Is there a time constraint on the ET? I'm going to start training but working out how fast I need to eventually be going and route that we can safely use to practice around here as there are no footpaths or bike tracks other than concrete ones and I'm not a fan of making my dogs run for a long time on concrete.

Sure, http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/rove.3/14944/66432/ this is my bike, the guy asked what I was planning on doing and recommended it based on that. I just said I was doing on and off road, like on grass (not mountain biking!). I am really happy with the choice, the guys at the bike store actually let me take it home before paying it off :) (well they know where I work and we've worked next door for 3 years so he knows me I suppose!) it's been raining though, so haven't had a proper ride yet!

Thank you :)

Is there a time constraint on the ET? I'm going to start training but working out how fast I need to eventually be going and route that we can safely use to practice around here as there are no footpaths or bike tracks other than concrete ones and I'm not a fan of making my dogs run for a long time on concrete.

You can download the rules from the ANKC website. The average pace is 10 kph, but you need to practise working faster than that, and also a bit slower. Obviously you'll start with shorter distances and lower speeds. And check that it's legal to bike with a dog on your planned routes .. varies from state to state.

I am hoping to see if I can get permission to run with her actually, I don't trust her with a bike and there is nowhere safe here to train with a bike either as there are no paths and the roads are very narrow and cars drive too fast along them. 10km/hr is doable for me so at least I know I can keep up the necessary pace.

I have the lofty dream of running the endurance test with one of my dogs :eek: I will keep working on it but have started getting the dogs used to running along side the bike just in case I don't get it together.

I'm using this as one of my weight loss/fitness goals.

None of this fit into size 10 crap. :laugh:

Willow is still too young to train, so I have lots of time to build up to it. And get used to the idea.

Edited by Dory the Doted One

I am hoping to see if I can get permission to run with her actually, I don't trust her with a bike and there is nowhere safe here to train with a bike either as there are no paths and the roads are very narrow and cars drive too fast along them. 10km/hr is doable for me so at least I know I can keep up the necessary pace.

You don't have to get permission to run with her - it's provided for in the rules . They will usually put runners at one end of the field. so they're not mixed up with the bikes. Be aware that the pace may go up higher - 12-13 kph in sections is not uncommon - some judges like to bank a bit of time. And that the speed may be slower than you're used to running with, so when you're training with the dog, make sure you vary the pace so that both of you are comfortable at diffeent speeds. (Had a runner behind me at one ET - pace was slower than he was used to and he kept letting his dog run up my dog's bum - not happy - eventually he caused me to fall off the bike - no injury - but he did get the message after that, and kept back a bit. )

Thank you :)

An excellent choice of bike. You have done well. As good as they are, I must stress an road bike is totally unsuitable for an ET. Mountain bikes or hybrids are the best choice. And you don't need a lot of money spent on one. Another must is a pair of padded Lycra shorts!

Enjoy the training!

M

• 1 month later...

I was just looking at the schedules that are out for the ET and it says you can use an appropriate harness. What would constitute an appropriate harness? I wouldn't use a car harness on my guys as they don't really like wearing them (ever!), but I have run them before in their easy walk harnesses fitted upside down (so the attachment is on their back). Would that be considered ok?

I'm still not sure if we're going to be able to be ready, but it just got me thinking!! And can you use a limited slip/martingale collar or does it need to be a flat collar? Just wondering about technicalities!

I run my guys in their tracking harnesses ...used to be their black dog ones .. now they have comfortflex harnesses from Clean Run. IMO you want a harness that has minimum restriction on their front assembly range of motion. I prefer the harness to simply a collar..spreads the load more. Abbiestar will come in hopefully to give you a definitive answer, but pretty sure the collar if used has to be a fixed flat one.

I was just looking at the schedules that are out for the ET and it says you can use an appropriate harness. What would constitute an appropriate harness? I wouldn't use a car harness on my guys as they don't really like wearing them (ever!), but I have run them before in their easy walk harnesses fitted upside down (so the attachment is on their back). Would that be considered ok?

I'm still not sure if we're going to be able to be ready, but it just got me thinking!! And can you use a limited slip/martingale collar or does it need to be a flat collar? Just wondering about technicalities!

Hi, The collar you use must be a fixed collar. No Chains. No Martingales. I would recommend that you train your dog up to working on a collar rather than on a harness. When you think about it, a harness is designed to go around the strongest part of the dog's body. If the dog takes off or stops suddenly, like it or not, you are going with it! :)

M

• 2 weeks later...

Glad i found this thread!

i would love to do this!

However i do not trust my dog on a bike, so may have to get good at running 20km..

I have wanted to do this for a while now, i think its time to actually start training.

How many people do jog it?

I don't want to be a lone jogger left behind at the back :laugh:

Waiting on the QLD dates too :)

Dates i have found for 2014 Endurance Tests are as follows:

Victoria

31 May - HVCV

7 June- DCOV

21 June - GSDCV

5 July - EGODC

NSW

13 July - Grafton

10 August - DogsNSW

ACT

June. Date TBA

SA

21 June - GSDCSA

Time to dust off the bike and get out the lycra!

M

Hi AS and all 2014 ET competitors :wave:

Just would like to add to the above list with advising that the RCV (Rottweiler Club of Vic) is holding their Open Endurance Test on 28th June 2014 at KCC Park.

For schedule see http://www.vicdog.com/Rottweilerjun14et.pdf

Always such a helpful thread AS :)

My young girl will be ready for her ET in 2015, can't wait, bring it on!! :D

Edited by Starkehre

Hi AS and all 2014 ET competitors :wave:

Just would like to add to the above list with advising that the RCV (Rottweiler Club of Vic) is holding their Open Endurance Test on 28th June 2014 at KCC Park.

For schedule see http://www.vicdog.com/Rottweilerjun14et.pdf

Always such a helpful thread AS :)

My young girl will be ready for her ET in 2015, can't wait, bring it on!! :D

This is GREAT news! Glad to see another club getting into the ET's!

Let me know if you need any help or advice.

M