Endurance Test 2014

Thought someone might have come back to you before now perfect partners, but here's my take on it. I'd say that for a working BC in good condition, the sort of program you're looking at would be fine. I'd probably only train him with the bike every second day (the recovery day is important - sometimes 2 recovery days are good) - and vary the pace and the surface. Don't always ride on pavement or dirt, but be sure you do quite a bit on that to harden up his pads.

While the average speed would be about 10km, sometimes the judge will want to take one of the legs a little faster, so you need to be sure the dog is comfortable at up to about 13 or 14 kph for some of the distance.

As far as distance goes, I would normally have been doing about 6 km - and very occasionally throw in an 8 km leg once you've built up to that.

The other thing to consider is how he will be with a dog in front and a dog behind - if you can get some friends to join in the training, that's good too. And it's also worth teaching verbal directionals - left, in particulr, so he turns before you do - and also a stop cue :D /

The only sad thing about the ET is that we only get to do it once with each dog.

ET fix typo

Edited by Tassie

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for your advice, Tassie. I agree about recovery days. In a previous endurance thread Abbiestar recommended biking 4 or 5 days a week, so I thought maybe two days ride and then a day off. I was going to do a short ride with him yesterday because I had the opportunity to do it at a different place, but didn't end up doing so. We'll do another ride today. I'm lucky because where we'll do most of our training, there is grass, dirt road and very short patches of loose gravel and asphalt so I'm using all of them. I can also take him over to KCC Park and do some training there. I have friends who are happy to ride in front and behind to get him used to that. I've also been using stop and turn verbal directions.

I know it depends on the dog, but roughly how long would you expect to take to build up to 6ks? And how long before you would throw in an 8k ride?

Assuming the dog is doing comfortably at the shorter distances, you could probably try for 6 within a couple of weeks. And then if the dog copes well with that, the 8 is really not a stretch. One of my main training areas was mostly dirt road, and about a 2 km loop, so we would just do that 3 times, and then just add another loop.

KCC park would be quite good, although I wouldn't do too much on the gravel car park there - from memory the gravel would be a bit hard on the pads. For a generally fit and well-muscled dog, it's really the hardening of the pads that you need to build up the distance gradually for. The grass surface training is more for the handler - especially if it's been raining ... had to do that one time - really not nice.

I really emphasis the variable speeds too - I think if people do too much at a higher speed, the dog can find it harder to cut back to 10 kph as he might have to do in the actual test.

It really sounds like you're doing great, and will have lots of fun.

Thanks again for your help. It all makes sense. I thought the same thing about the gravel car park at KCC Park. I go there during the week when it is pretty quiet so thought I could probably so some riding on the paved areas.

If it's not too wet, you could probably add a loop on the offlead grassed area behind the Boxhall Pavilion as well. :)

Thanks for your advice, Tassie. I agree about recovery days. In a previous endurance thread Abbiestar recommended biking 4 or 5 days a week, so I thought maybe two days ride and then a day off. I was going to do a short ride with him yesterday because I had the opportunity to do it at a different place, but didn't end up doing so. We'll do another ride today. I'm lucky because where we'll do most of our training, there is grass, dirt road and very short patches of loose gravel and asphalt so I'm using all of them. I can also take him over to KCC Park and do some training there. I have friends who are happy to ride in front and behind to get him used to that. I've also been using stop and turn verbal directions.

I know it depends on the dog, but roughly how long would you expect to take to build up to 6ks? And how long before you would throw in an 8k ride?

Hi PP,

sounds like you have a fit and agile dog who could easily cope with the demands of an ET. The training is important. You can't just enter, front up on the day and expect to be successful. There is much more to it. From what you have said, I believe that your dog is fit enough, and is used to working next to you on a bike. Good advice to practice with others, one fore and one aft. You should be able to do 6ks without the dog becoming stressed. After training for this distance. Stop and check your dog's pads for any sign of wear. If the dog has injured a pad, or if it is red, raw or bleeding, stop immediately.

KCC is a good place to practice. Just make sure you cover three different surfaces, paved, gravel and grass.

Make sure your dog also has a basic level of control at obedience. It would be a terrible shame to complete the 20ks and have the dog fail the final willingness test.

Good luck! and please ask any and all questions.

M

Can anyone give me an idea of when the entries need to be done for the ET? I'll be doing the Grafton one, so still a while to go, but I don't want to miss the entry.

Hi dotdashdot,

Best thing to do would be to contact DogsNSW to confirm the date and venue of the ET in Grafton. They can give you contact details for the club running the event. Make contact with the club directly and they will provide you with all the entry details.

Good Luck!

M

Hi PP,

sounds like you have a fit and agile dog who could easily cope with the demands of an ET. The training is important. You can't just enter, front up on the day and expect to be successful. There is much more to it. From what you have said, I believe that your dog is fit enough, and is used to working next to you on a bike. Good advice to practice with others, one fore and one aft. You should be able to do 6ks without the dog becoming stressed. After training for this distance. Stop and check your dog's pads for any sign of wear. If the dog has injured a pad, or if it is red, raw or bleeding, stop immediately.

KCC is a good place to practice. Just make sure you cover three different surfaces, paved, gravel and grass.

Make sure your dog also has a basic level of control at obedience. It would be a terrible shame to complete the 20ks and have the dog fail the final willingness test.

Good luck! and please ask any and all questions.

M

Thanks Abbbiestar. There's no way I would enter a trial without doing the necessary training. Just wondered if 8 weeks was long enough. We did just over 3 ks again today and then he came home and played with another dog so obviously wasn't tired. I thought I'd try 4ks tomorrow or is that bumping it up too quick? I also thought I'd aim for two consecutive days biking, then miss a day, etc. Fortunately we don't have to worry about the obedience part. He's already gained a CCD pass at his first trial a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks Abbbiestar. There's no way I would enter a trial without doing the necessary training. Just wondered if 8 weeks was long enough. We did just over 3 ks again today and then he came home and played with another dog so obviously wasn't tired. I thought I'd try 4ks tomorrow or is that bumping it up too quick? I also thought I'd aim for two consecutive days biking, then miss a day, etc. Fortunately we don't have to worry about the obedience part. He's already gained a CCD pass at his first trial a couple of weeks ago.

Congratulations on the CCD pass. The bike training you are doing is fine. Just make sure you do include rest days.

M

When ET is run at kcc where does the route go? I'm struggling with training and am starting to think I should just head there to do it but would like an idea of the path followed.

I would like to know this too, Pretty Miss Emma.

We are in need of a training partner or two, so could we possibly meet at KCC Park for a run together?

The only sad thing about the ET is that we only get to do it once with each dog.

I've known several people who have done ET more than once with the same dog

There is no rule stating that you can't enter more than once. Obviously, you can only claim the title, pass card etc just the once. If you wanted to run again, check with the club hosting the event. It is at their discretion.

M

When ET is run at kcc where does the route go? I'm struggling with training and am starting to think I should just head there to do it but would like an idea of the path followed.

I would like to know this too, Pretty Miss Emma.

We are in need of a training partner or two, so could we possibly meet at KCC Park for a run together?

I think the only club that uses KCC now is the Rottweiler club. They are hosting their inaugural ET there this year.

The Vizsla Club have moved their ET to Springers Leisure Centre, though have used KCC for about nine years in the past.

Maybe check with either or both clubs as to what the current route is.

M

I am not doing an ET until next year, but if anyone wants a training partner, I am still doing a lot of bike work and would love to have someone else to ride with, swap spots etc.

I love to train at Springers (much prefer it to KCC) but can be flexible with ground.

My hrs are also flexible, so if anyone here wants to yell out for a session or a few, just let me know :) I know how boring (and lonely) it can get on your own sometimes :laugh:

I have a GPS that I use so we would know what speed we are travelling at.

I am not doing an ET until next year, but if anyone wants a training partner, I am still doing a lot of bike work and would love to have someone else to ride with, swap spots etc.

I love to train at Springers (much prefer it to KCC) but can be flexible with ground.

My hrs are also flexible, so if anyone here wants to yell out for a session or a few, just let me know :) I know how boring (and lonely) it can get on your own sometimes :laugh:

Thanks Starkehre, your offer is greatly appreciated!

Have not been to Springers yet, most of our training has been around Yarra Flats, but planned to investigate Springers tomorrow afternoon. Would that, or another afternoon be a suitable time to meet you there?

Thanks Starkehre, your offer is greatly appreciated!

Have not been to Springers yet, most of our training has been around Yarra Flats, but planned to investigate Springers tomorrow afternoon. Would that, or another afternoon be a suitable time to meet you there?

I'd also be keen for a training ride, we have entered the Vizsla ET on the 31st. Would be great to have a ride with some other dogs at Springers before then :)

Sorry can't do tomorrow arvo (prior commitment) but can do Wednesday any time after say 2.30pm or any time on Thursday.

Next week is pretty free at this stage also :) We could do this Thursday and next Thursday also if you like?

Please pm me for further arrangements :)