Endurance Test 2014

The Sydney ET is a closed course - the Dogs NSW gates at closed and locked for the duration, no one in or out.

However people have brought other dogs onto the grounds for the duration of the event - last year it was a trailer load of GSDs who went off their nut the entire time. There would be nothing to stop someone bringing an extra bitch that was in season and not competing etc.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A week and a half until our ET in Grafton :)

My training has been upset somewhat by a car accident that I had that injured us humans, dogs weren't in the car thankfully. I think I should manage to ride the 20kms, my husband is a DogsNSW member in case I need him though.

Apparently it will be a very small test too.

Can't wait!

A week and a half until our ET in Grafton :)

My training has been upset somewhat by a car accident that I had that injured us humans, dogs weren't in the car thankfully. I think I should manage to ride the 20kms, my husband is a DogsNSW member in case I need him though.

Apparently it will be a very small test too.

Can't wait!

Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you are OK to do the test. Enjoy the day!

M

• 2 weeks later...

We did it! There were 7 of us in total and all passed. Was a very chilly morning, a lot of frost! Glad i'm sitting in front of a heater now.

Fantastic news! Congratulations!

Next ET is the American Staffordshire Terrier Club of Victoria on August 2.

Good luck to all entered.

M

:thumbsup: Well done DDD :thumbsup: I caught it on Facebook. :) It would have been freezing up there

Thanks everyone.

As to freezing...well! Coldest temps I've ever experienced, living so close to the beach all my life I've never experienced too much cold. I saw the most frost ever, and I had no gloves!!! And the dew froze on the mat I had put down for Cleo, and on my bike wheels. After the first 8kms I couldn't move my hands and the very kind vet lent me his gloves to wear....I had to get my husband to put them on me though. After that it was easy, the sun came up and we thawed a bit.

Next time I will know how much I need to rug up!

Well done dotdashdot!

I've had to pull out of the ASTCV ET as my rotten girl has come into season :( Booo! Oh well, always next year

:( This is looking like my situation too. I'm still training, but I think she's coming in (her seasons have always been irregular, and last one was silent so I just dont know!)

Managed to organize my entry - now to start getting nervous!

I hope I have him ready enough and that he still wants to do the obedience at the end :) He would do anything if I had food, but not sure how tired + no food will go. Looking forward to it though. :)

Have fun, DOLers doing their ET soon.

E & H ... wouldn't worry too much about the 'obedience' test at the endd - it's primarily a willingness test - usually done on lead - and really just to see if the dog is still as willing to work with the handler as he was at the beginning :laugh: . Precision obedience is definitely not required - and you can prepare him by pairing food with personal play, to give high value to you - or enough to get you through :rofl: . And if all esle fails you can pretend. :)

How close to the day do you get your initial vet check/certification done?

It's usually within a fortnight before the test I think, from memory.

Yep - here's the relevant bit from the rules

(1) A veterinary certificate, issued within fourteen (14) days immediately prior to the date of the test,

must be submitted, for each dog on the day. It shall cover such things as the general fitness,

temperature, standing heart rate, condition of the pads and muscle tone of the dog. (For bitches

the certificate is to state also that the bitch is not in whelp).

Any last minute tips for my first ET? *nervous*

Last minute training - testing he is ready for this? Anything I should do for his pads in these last 2 weeks?

I am happy he is pretty fit, but might need to do a few more 5km bikes in these last 2 weeks as most of our exercise in the past 2 weeks has been for agility training.

Not too much in the last week obviously - though walking on hard surfaces in preference to grass would help. The second week before a couple of longer - as in 6 - 8 km rides wouldn't hurt. Even better if you can find someone else to ride with you - that always adds an extra dimension :-). And the other thing that's important I found is to make sure you and he are comfortable at varying speeds. The average speed will end up about 10 - 10-5 kph, but sometimes it will be faster and other times slower, and some dogs can struggle to cope with either of those. (Last one I did I had a guy behind me running it - and he and his Border Collie had obviously trained at a faster pace than the test was being run - kept running his dog right up close behind my entire male BC, who was a bit spooked by it. Luckily there was a BC bitch ahead that my boy loved, so I could distract him.)

I might have to take him for a longer ride tomorrow and track our speed because I have not done as much bike training as I would have liked recently - I had him ready for the ET last year and then moved just at the wrong time! Have been much slacker this time with my training schedule but overall he has been doing more, so hopefully it will work out!

How close to the day do you get your initial vet check/certification done?

It's usually within a fortnight before the test I think, from memory.

Yep - here's the relevant bit from the rules

(1) A veterinary certificate, issued within fourteen (14) days immediately prior to the date of the test,

must be submitted, for each dog on the day. It shall cover such things as the general fitness,

temperature, standing heart rate, condition of the pads and muscle tone of the dog. (For bitches

the certificate is to state also that the bitch is not in whelp).

So if I'm doing ET next Sunday is it ok for me to do the vet check during the week next week?

E+H we must be doing the same one? Laidely? Although I'm not doing it with my girl my OH is lol :o

So if I'm doing ET next Sunday is it ok for me to do the vet check during the week next week?

E+H we must be doing the same one? Laidely? Although I'm not doing it with my girl my OH is lol :o

Yes it is. The vet check must be within the two weeks prior to the date of the test.

Do Not overtrain. Rest your dog for the two days prior to the test.

Good luck,

M