Good Family Dog, But Also Guard Dog

bossyboo

I think some important questions have been neglected here.. Like are you looking for a dog to train or a dog to just do its own thing? I was also going to suggest a Maremma, especially if you are planning on having lifestock, as they seem to do very well in a hobby farm type situation. However, if you want to train your dog to come,m sit and shake hands etc, a Maremma is probably not for you.

If you don't mind if your dog will not do tricks but will love you to pieces, and guard the farm (and the stock on it, including the family!) well, then a Maremma would be the way to go. They don't mind being outside only dogs (many seem to prefer to sleep outside as they can keep a better watch on the place this way) and they will need less time spent on entertaining them (my fella likes to nap in a dirt hole he dug himself or patrol the fence line) than a breed that will get easily bored and find their own entertainment (like a lot of hunting breeds).

I also find that the Maremma is not likely to leave his territory. Once our guy (he was already nearly a year old when we got him) learnt where "our" i.e. "his" pace ends, he did not try and cross that boundary and got very unhappy when he had to leave home (i.e. to go to the vet's).

I think you'll find that Shepherds, Rotts and possibly even RR (don't know that much about them) will probably want a job to do or something to entertain them. Left to their own devices all day long they might find.. other entertainment.

Another important question, I think, would be whether you only want the dog to bark or whether you want the dog to actually confront an intruder.

As I said, it really depends what you want out of this dog. Some of the breeds recommended here are at total opposites of the spectrum, especially concerning biddability and needs in terms of time and training.

None of them are bad (in fact I like all of the breeds that have been suggested!) but depending on your situation and wants, not all of them will likely work out for you! A bit more information would be necessary to make a good recommendation I think.

Edited by BlackJaq

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep in mind that Boxers and Bullmastiffs are brachy breeds and a little more attention should to be paid towards their welfare in hot conditions... acreage... QLD... sounds like a very warm environment.

Yeh, it sort of depends a lot on what you mean by "will protect if need be"

I can speak for my breed only and will say that a Rottweiler with a sound and correct temperament is not likely to attack an intruder. They may alert bark, they may growl, they may bail up an intruder, they may try to chase one out, they may even trap them in, but not usually attack. And one that would attack is one that I would not want to own... but that's just me. A good guard is usually more than enough of a deterrent.

My experience of the breed I would agree with this.

My best friends as a kid bred them and they got home on 1 occasion to find 1 of their females keeping a known adult who had dropped by to pick something up company. Apparently she happily let him in, but no way was he allowed out until they got there and told her it was ok.

..what do you call "good fencing" just out of interest ?... don't forget that other dogs /foxes etc can harass your dog ..or your dog may find something irresistible next door :(

Excellent point pers.

We are building on our 5 acre block in the next few years and we currently have brand new good quality 6 strand farm fencing. In no way would we consider this adequate fencing for responsible dog ownership. The neighbours smallish dog on one side goes right up to the fence, sometimes right through and barks at us on our own property non stop when we are there working. Doesn't matter if our dogs are friendly or not, sure as shit if anything goes wrong, even on our property, everyone blames the bigger or scarier looking dogs. Doesn't matter who is technically at fault, we won't risk anything happening to our dogs, anyone elses dogs, live stock or wildlife. It is a responsibility we take very seriously.

We plan to add 3' ringlock to the entire boundary fence, yet our dogs will still not even have access to this unless they are with us being trained.

Our dogs are inside at night and spend a considerate amount of time indoors during the day, but when outdoors they will be in our good sized backyard surrounded by 6' color bond fencing, completely secure. And when we allow them outside this area for big runs, play and training they will be enclosed in a huge area surrounded by 6'cyclone fencing that will be standing off any neighbouring boundaries by 5 metres.

Inside the 5mtr buffer we are planting screening trees and will utilize the remainder to train the dogs off alongside rideon when we dump the deck.

Sorry for the drawn out explanation, just used as an example of explaining that there is no way I would consider even good farm fencing as adequate for dog containment, particularly if you own a dog that has guarding instincts.

I also have a Ridgeback. He is very protective of any territory car, house. Mine will not take a backward step from anything. But I agree he would more than likely bail you up and hold you there than straight out bite. He is quite aloof which is a breed trait he is great with kids know he is 7 but when younger he was just a bit boisterous. Coat is super easy for ticks next to no grooming. He is intimidating 49kgs but people still are more afraid of our female shepherd than him.

Keep in mind that Boxers and Bullmastiffs are brachy breeds and a little more attention should to be paid towards their welfare in hot conditions... acreage... QLD... sounds like a very warm environment.

Yeh, it sort of depends a lot on what you mean by "will protect if need be"

I can speak for my breed only and will say that a Rottweiler with a sound and correct temperament is not likely to attack an intruder. They may alert bark, they may growl, they may bail up an intruder, they may try to chase one out, they may even trap them in, but not usually attack. And one that would attack is one that I would not want to own... but that's just me. A good guard is usually more than enough of a deterrent.

My experience of the breed I would agree with this.

My best friends as a kid bred them and they got home on 1 occasion to find 1 of their females keeping a known adult who had dropped by to pick something up company. Apparently she happily let him in, but no way was he allowed out until they got there and told her it was ok.

Rotts are pretty well known for doing this - personally, I think they have a bit of an evil sense of humour. Let 'em in, but don't let 'em out! :D :laugh:

I live on acreage here and am somewhat isolated. I have a desexed male Boxer and the summer temps get quite hot. He basically lives inside come summer with the aircon, but he will still bark at anything weird he hears outside and rush to whatever door/window he hears it from. He also has a magnificent smeller on him and can pick up weird scents from inside blowing in through windows or under doors. He has a run under the verandah which he can go out into during the day in summer if he chooses too [easier to check for snakes first before letting him out].

One night when a prowler was hanging around the shedding, he'd scented first and had woken up from a dead sleep and rushed barking to the back door. Who ever it was high tailed and didn't get a chance to break into the shed.

Boxers can be very protective of house and home. He will always put himself between strangers and myself at the door, unless it's someone he knows and then will greet normally. Which I don't mind at all when I'm on my own.

Belgian shepherd groenendael, medium large, black great guard dogs that love their family, wary of strangers. Grew up with one so they're ok family dogs too, probably with older children though because of their herding instincts.

Another thing with ridgebacks they love the heat. Our RR hates winter but he loves summers in western Sydney he goes outside on 40+ degree days and prefers it to the A/C inside. While the shepherd loves winter and on those 40+ days she is straight out goes toilet then back at the door wanting to get back into the A/C.

Another vote here for the rotti. They have a great temperament, love their people but would be a visual deterrent. They are a slow maturing dog physically but very smart and good to train.

Edited by Smurf1

1388309110[/url]' post='6381751']

Shar Pei could be an option. It would take some careful homework re temperament though.

My shar pei is a better guard dog than the Airedale. Sounds more manly too laugh.gif

I live on acreage here and am somewhat isolated. I have a desexed male Boxer and the summer temps get quite hot. He basically lives inside come summer with the aircon, but he will still bark at anything weird he hears outside and rush to whatever door/window he hears it from. He also has a magnificent smeller on him and can pick up weird scents from inside blowing in through windows or under doors. He has a run under the verandah which he can go out into during the day in summer if he chooses too [easier to check for snakes first before letting him out].

One night when a prowler was hanging around the shedding, he'd scented first and had woken up from a dead sleep and rushed barking to the back door. Who ever it was high tailed and didn't get a chance to break into the shed.

Boxers can be very protective of house and home. He will always put himself between strangers and myself at the door, unless it's someone he knows and then will greet normally. Which I don't mind at all when I'm on my own.

I'm going to second what Noishe said, in particular the bolded bits. We are not on acreage though, we live on a suburban block.

I have to say first and foremost, our Boxer is a family dog. He adores our kids and is very gentle with them. Likewise their friends when they visit (I always supervise carefully, of course). Anyone we welcome into our home, he welcomes. Strangers though, he is quietly watchful of (eg. door-to-door salepeople). He is not generally a vocal dog but when he is, I have learned to take notice. Last time I tried to sleep through him barking and carrying on at what I assumed was a cat, our neighbours were being burgled. :o

Others have mentioned quite correctly that brachy breeds such as Boxers don't always cope well with high heat. We get high temperatures in Perth through summer but I find my Boxer copes ok, as he has access to the house via a dog door. He will still alert me to anything suspicious, even if he is staying cool inside the house. Frankly, on a 40 degree day, we all seek refuge in the air conditioned house anyway. Bruno just picks a spot to stay cool, where he can watch all three external doorways.

I love that my dog is unafraid of most things (fireworks, storms, loud noises etc). He will immediately check out anything unusual (this can mean sticking his nose into whatever is going on, -it's best to keep him away from paint I've found). :laugh:

And although I'm sure he wouldn't harm anyone, he puts on a convincing display if he is suspicious of someone on/near our property. I admire Rottweilers and Rhodesian Ridgebacks too I must say. For our family though, Boxers are a perfect fit. :)

My opinion is the best breeds for guarding/deterrent is the GSD or Rotty simply because everyone knows what they are and what their training capabilities are and intruders don't trust them, even one who is seemingly quite, a potential intruder is never sure of what a GSD or Rotty may do when their territory and family is under threat making a great deterrent factor.

For a great family dog with deterrent factor, I think the GSD or Rotty tops the charts......not that other large breeds are not effective, just that the GSD and Rotty have an edge over other breeds for this purpose as the general public and potential offenders are well aware of the breeds used in a professional capacity and the breeds that aren't and they believe that certain breeds are used over others for a reason. :)

post-50903-0-63950900-1388416822_thumb.jpg

Edited by Amax-1

Hi

Thanks for all the replys...it is not prone to much crime but just me and the kids will be home a lot without my husband ..The dog will be a family pet , we go to the beach once a week will still walk prob every second day. It is quite hot here in summer was 40 yesterday..I guess I want more of a deterant than a dog to bite, ..I already have a Australian Terrier who is 3 she would bark her head off but then go get a tennis ball to deliver to anyone who was at the gate!!So not very scary...I think I would class myself as strong and proactive in dealing with a new puppy, but then again I have never had a dog bigger than a cocker spaniel.. One of my good friends has a 2 year old Doberman purebred from a breeder in Brisbane she is lovely, and I went to meet and chat to her yesterday about Dobes. The coat also is low maintenance. I have met a few boxers and yes they made me take a step back also when visiting friends, but lovely family pets. Rottweiler and RR sound good as well, ..Rottweiler just seem huge to me, I don't know why but I would love a Rottweiler but am hesitant if I would be, a suitable owner..I always think they should be with really dog savvy people..

If you like Dobermanns and are comfortable with them they would be a good choice for you. Perhaps talk to your friend's breeder snd let her know what you are after and they could be a good source of advice. I think a barking Dobe would deter most people.

Having had Dobes and Rotties before, I've found Dobes more work. I think Ridgeys would be a good bet. Like you say, you are after a deterrent, having a dog who will actually bite is a different ball game and a whole other story when it comes to the responsibility that comes with a bitey dog.

Rottweiler and RR sound good as well, ..Rottweiler just seem huge to me, I don't know why but I would love a Rottweiler but am hesitant if I would be, a suitable owner..I always think they should be with really dog savvy people..

There are different lines in rotties, and in a lot of other breeds as well. You don't go for something bred specifically for sport/protection as they want something 'a little more'. There are plenty of breeders out there with dogs that can be quiet, med-lower in energy but will still act as a deterrent. There are plenty of great guard dogs out there that don't really want to chase a ball for hours, it's two separate drives in a dog.

I think go check out some good rottie breeders, I know of Rakaaz down here in Vic who have lovely dogs, will def guard not a problem. A dog is still a dog, no matter the size or type they all need training ;)

And I can tell you this is the position most commonly found for Rottweilers ... lounging somewhere near their owners :laugh:

DSC_0044.jpg

Edited by Nekhbet