Good Family Dog, But Also Guard Dog

bossyboo

Poor Flint has a bit of a hard time with Fire attached to his ear or face all the time, but he is so easy going and does not care. :thumbsup:

How funny. It must be that I have a soft feeling for the "underdog" because I was going to say, Flint for me. I love the big square heads Rotties. :laugh: :laugh:

What's with the "F" thing. I was dreaming a little while ago about having a Rottie in my old [er] age to plod around the neighbourhood with me and I was playing with the names Flirt and Flaunt. :D :D :D

:rofl::rofl:

A sign that a Rottie is meant to be in your life sometime soon??

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from my facebook page the other night "I just re learned the benefits of owning LGD's, I just went out for my usual late night cuddle and was sitting back on the bench with my head rested on the window. Azure standing up with two front legs on the seat with her head nuzzled into my neck with Wolff sitting up close facing me having his ear rubbed when all of a sudden Wolff leaped up and hit the window. I jumped up and turned to see the biggest MFing spider I have even seen right next to where my head was. Azure and Wolff then proceeded to beat it to death with their paws, Wolff then picked it up and took it to the far end of the yard and then came back to resume their cuddle"

OMG how freaky, scary and reassuring all at the same time. What absolutely amazing dogs. Some dogs are just meant to come into our lifes and be part of our family.

You are truly blessed casowner :D

STOP IT with all the Rotty awesomeness :mad

They've been on my list of breeds to own for a long time but after building a special bond with one I did a lot of work with at the shelter I am desperate for one! I can't possibly have another dog at this stage (which is why I couldn't adopt Jess) but I will definitely have one as soon as I can!!

Oh, those Rotties! They truly are gorgeous dogs, certainly on my 'one day' list.

And casowner, Wolff is absolutely stunning! Both he and Azure sound amazing dogs. What an honour to share your life with them. :)

I have no useful advice for the OP, but I hope you find the perfect dog for your needs.

Any dog with a high prey drive on property can be a huge risk unless you have fantastic fencing, stock owners do not take kindly to roaming dogs. We want a dog to protect us but is even more important for us to protect them with suitable fencing & responsible breed choices.

To me rotweillers and GSDs are a real deterrent.

I would never approach one I didn't know;

therefore in my mind these breeds would be best for your needs.

That's case with most crooks too, GSD's and Rottweilers are their greatest fear. A dog used as a deterrent is to deter crooks, not to deter nice rationally thinking people you would happily invite into your home. Given that dogs are a business hazard for crooks, although the crooks can be pretty stupid in their thought processes, they are not stupid enough not to learn what breed of dogs are more likely to give them grief or what breed of dogs are more likely to have been trained to hurt them.

The idea is the presence of the right breed of dog the crooks fear will cause the crooks to leave your property and dog alone, target a different property that doesn't have a couple of "Rockwheelers" floating around in the garden.. Even though a Boxer may look scary to some, the crooks know that Boxers are not used like GSD's and Rottweilers in mainstream protection roles and they can have a go. I if the dog doesn't display strong aggression on the fence, and they will try and hit the dog, throw something at it and the dog backs off, they are in.

The only reason they tried it on was the wrong breed of dog at the fence line.....A GSD or Rotty at the fence line more than likely would have encouraged the crooks to move on to a less challenging target.

My advice for a deterrent breed against crooks, use a breed that crooks fear the most for the best opportunity of staying safe :)

Edited by Amax-1