Scratching Like Crazy

HugUrPup

Miley got fleas this year for the first time (she is 8) and I have treated her and her skin looks healthy and clear but she is still scratching like mad.

She has had a flea wash, cap star tablet and Advantage drops, but there is still flea dirt every few days. Even when there are no fleas to be seen, she is still scratching. I also change her bedding and do the carpets.

I checked her skin to see if she had a rash and there isn't anything.

I am at my wits-end with this.

Please help.

If there's flea dirt the nasties are still there, Hank got them once and I never saw a flea just the dirt. I guess the bites would itch for a few days anyway. I heard that the advantix should only be done a day or two after a bath because it needs the skin oils to get carried through, if you do it too soon after a bath it doesn't work.

You need to flea bomb the house as well to get rid of the fleas from the environment. If you have sandy soil or long grass, the yard may need to be sprayed too. You can use Advantage after a bath but it works best as a long term treatment so it works better the longer you use it.

I've been using Advantage for 5 years, it worked until this year. I adopted a cat who come with little "extras" :o

The cats don't have fleas anymore, it's just Miley for some reason. I can't flea bomb the house until we go away in a few weeks. I have a toddler here with allergies and eczema, I can't risk it.

Maybe try a different spot on?

Luckily we rarely get problems and I only treat when we do but I have heard others say that after awhile they seem to get less effective and they need to change products.

Perhaps try frontline? I have heard good things about Comfortis too.