Puppy Buyers

Jed

To Dear Jed,

Thank you so much for this thread. I have had a really good laugh at all the indignant members' replies to your initial post.

It is a real shame that they are not up-to-date with all the latest or proposed legislation or what most rescues and pounds now expect !

Keep well !

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No - it is not April Fool's Day - Rebanne and Aussie3 ! Definitely not from my perspective !

2 id's Jed?

Sorry to say - that you are incorrect - again - with your assumption Rebanne ! I am sure that you have checked out my previous posts on this forum - as few as they are !

No - it is not April Fool's Day - Rebanne and Aussie3 ! Definitely not from my perspective !

2 id's Jed?

Sorry to say - that you are incorrect - again - with your assumption Rebanne ! I am sure that you have checked out my previous posts on this forum - as few as they are !

no I hadn't should I? where was I incorrect before?

Lots of people though who seem to believe they are all perfect and can bring up a dog in their perfect world. Many of them can(going by the content of their posts) but the people on here are only a tiny percentage of the dog owning world.

And there are a huge percentage of people out there who do a bad job. Who suffers then? The dog. But they don't care. Just discard that one and get another. Maybe breeders should care a little more as to where their puppies get placed. Maybe breeders should put more thought into why they breed in the first place. Owners need to make sure their decision to own a dog has the dogs welfare at heart.

All this adds to fuel the fires of the anti dog lobbyists.

I know of a lady who has gone through multiple dogs and has ended up having to rehome them, simply because she thought a puppy is really cute but it ended up chasing the horses or killing the chickens. Maybe if she had thought through her life circumstances before getting these dogs(yes, she and her husband work full time) it would of prevented the dogs being another rehome statistic. Have I told her my thoughts? Of course but I am not the one selling her a dog. She said to me she would love a Bulldog puppy. No way on this earth she will get one from me.

Just my thoughts. Dolers make up a tiny percent of the dog owning world. Education plays a big part.

Sad that some dolers came out with guns blazing at a statement that does hold a lot of truth. I can see that.

I am left wondering how anyone could afford to breed dogs if they didn't work full time???

Some breeders don't work at all, but just breed dogs. They earn a living from the puppies they sell

Oh dear, that's not going to go down well.

Oh wow. What a thread!

I work full time. I have always worked full time. I am so glad the breeder who sold me my first dog was fine with me working full time. I am pretty sure Halley (my first dog as a full time working single adult) turned out pretty well lol! (on my website under 'in memory' for anyone wanting to see how screwed up the poor girl was ....)

When it comes to raising puppies, an interesting point that was emphasized to me recently reading the book 'keys to top breeding' was that many stressed how important proper rest was for a pups growth and the observation that this was often lacking in pet homes where they were with owners all day where a pup was often over stimulated by too much activity.

Dogs are crepuscular. Which means they are naturally most active at dawn and dusk. Even when I am home, for example, my dogs will sleep for much of the day.

When it comes to socialization, more does not automatically mean better. Indeed many behaviour issues IMO may relate to too much of the wrong type of socialization at the wrong time. A pup is not necessarily better off being bombarded by experiences all day every day as opposed to controlled and carefully targetted experiences in the morning and afternoon/ evening and on weekends.

Many problems with separation anxiety often stem from a pup not being taught to be on its own from the beginning. Even staying home with a pup for several weeks and then going back to work can cause issues as the routine change is so great. Even when staying home for a pup it is important to acclimatize it to being left alone. Many of the dogs I know with the severest separation anxiety are owned by people who do not go out to work as the dog is not taught to cope in the absence of its owner.

Most of the breeders and dog owners I know work full time. They have well rounded and well socialized dogs of many different breeds. The dogs do plenty of activities with them and with their family. They are part of the family. They certainly have not 'suffered' in any way that I can see from the fact that their owners are not with them 24/7.

I have been reading and thinking bite your tongue, don't comment. But I can't help it.

Bullbreedlover - you gave examples of a dog bloating or a snake bite. Let me rewrite the example...

Dog lives in a house with 1 non working adult, dog gets let out at about 8am in the morning, non working owner goes and sits at the computer or TV and later does some housework but does not go outside until about 4pm when they realise gee the dog has even quiet. The dog bloated/got bitten by a snake at 8:45am - being home did not help them.

I work, always have worked and had dogs. Back when I had 1 dog only that was still the case. I trialled 2 or 3 nights each week and attended trials on weekends with my dog or met up with friends when there were no trials to take him on nice long off lead runs. Of course the non dog club nights we did training at home, played games and went on walks.

At the time when we had 1 dog we lived next door to a family with a stay at home Mum and a kelpie. I never saw that kelpie leave the yard except when he got out and got into our yard. He wasn't allowed to sleep inside at night and was only allowed inside for an hour or so of an evening, but he wasn't allowed in the lounge room - he had to stay on the tiles, in an area of the house that no one else was in as they were all in the lounge room. Sometimes the kids would play with him in the back yard but 90% of the time this dog that had people home all the time was alone while my dog who had no one at home for 30ish hours a week (I worked full time but due to the cross over times of people coming and going it was rarely more than 6 hours a day of no one at all home) was inside with me whenever I was home, was the main part of my social life so went with me almost everywhere I went outside of work and slept in my room.

I also know some working people who I wish did not own dogs and some great families with a non working parent who do a fantastic job with their dog. The thing is, you can not automatically assume that anyone in a particular situation will behave in a certain way at other times. Regardless of a persons employment status, I will always ask them more questions about their life and how they will involve the dog in it as there are many working homes that I would rank above other homes.

I have been reading and thinking bite your tongue, don't comment. But I can't help it.

Bullbreedlover - you gave examples of a dog bloating or a snake bite. Let me rewrite the example...

Dog lives in a house with 1 non working adult, dog gets let out at about 8am in the morning, non working owner goes and sits at the computer or TV and later does some housework but does not go outside until about 4pm when they realise gee the dog has even quiet. The dog bloated/got bitten by a snake at 8:45am - being home did not help them.

I work, always have worked and had dogs. Back when I had 1 dog only that was still the case. I trialled 2 or 3 nights each week and attended trials on weekends with my dog or met up with friends when there were no trials to take him on nice long off lead runs. Of course the non dog club nights we did training at home, played games and went on walks.

At the time when we had 1 dog we lived next door to a family with a stay at home Mum and a kelpie. I never saw that kelpie leave the yard except when he got out and got into our yard. He wasn't allowed to sleep inside at night and was only allowed inside for an hour or so of an evening, but he wasn't allowed in the lounge room - he had to stay on the tiles, in an area of the house that no one else was in as they were all in the lounge room. Sometimes the kids would play with him in the back yard but 90% of the time this dog that had people home all the time was alone while my dog who had no one at home for 30ish hours a week (I worked full time but due to the cross over times of people coming and going it was rarely more than 6 hours a day of no one at all home) was inside with me whenever I was home, was the main part of my social life so went with me almost everywhere I went outside of work and slept in my room.

I also know some working people who I wish did not own dogs and some great families with a non working parent who do a fantastic job with their dog. The thing is, you can not automatically assume that anyone in a particular situation will behave in a certain way at other times. Regardless of a persons employment status, I will always ask them more questions about their life and how they will involve the dog in it as there are many working homes that I would rank above other homes.

This is what I did, this is what I learnt from my mentor and THIS SITE!!!!!

I exchanged multiple emails and phone calls to all my buyers (weekly with their photo updates),

I am happy with everyone of my choices except my previous litter, a gent who has a high profile job, just built their house in a prime location looking for a pet, wife was at home 90% of the time, Yet He was returned at 7 mths because he destroyed the pool wiring and ate the deck furniture, and dug hole to china and back. Why because the gent love the dog best he ever owned to quote but wife thought he was a little to rough with the cat,(cat never ran away) so she closed the glass door, and there he stayed looking in, until the gent got home and took him for a walk.

Gent when he brought him said he and his wife were very excited, he came with his grown daughter to pick him up who said she would visit with her kelpie x boxer often. No alarm bells to be seen at first glance.

He is Now is Sydney with 2 fantastic full time workers both teachers, young couple the enjoy every minute with him when they get home and weekends, plan to have kids in a year or 2 wanted him to have matured by the time the rug rat arrives. and Guess what He no longer needs a nose strap to go for a walk. He is an only dog there and hasn't dug since he got there?????

How in those 2 situations was it best for him to be with someone at home??? This dog didn't need constant attention, he needed acceptance from his whole family and not have people dangled in front of him 24/7 who he only had partial contact with. Nothing to do with work situation.

Each dog and each buyer needs to be assessed as they are and suited to each other.

An ex neighbour of mine had a dog killed by a snake while he was home but he didn't notice in time. He didn't work because he was a drug dealer so his dogs got to spend a lot of time with him.. no more though because I hear he's now in prison...

My point is you don't need to be at work or even away from the home to miss an incident

While everyone who has posted on here may live in a perfect world, can some of you perhaps see that what might be the best for YOU may not necessarily be the best for someone else? Most of you all make yourselves out to be absolutely perfect(which makes me laugh as surely you all aren't). But that is OK. It's all good in your world.

These are all real different scenarios and I am not saying that they don't all work for YOU. But maybe some people out there need to understand the other side AS WELL

Many pet owners who do stay at home do have no idea as well. I know that.

Off now to live in the real world cause I am just not perfect bugger it all.

While everyone who has posted on here may live in a perfect world, can some of you perhaps see that what might be the best for YOU may not necessarily be the best for someone else? Most of you all make yourselves out to be absolutely perfect(which makes me laugh as surely you all aren't). But that is OK. It's all good in your world.

These are all real different scenarios and I am not saying that they don't all work for YOU. But maybe some people out there need to understand the other side AS WELL

what surprises me is just how rude and condescending you and Jed are being. Well Jed doesn't surprise me but you do. When people are told they would be awful owners just because they work full time, then you can expect them to rise up. It was a blanket statement and you've taken it and run with it as well. Do you really think the objectors don't know what can happen if the dogs are neglected? Of course they do that's why they put the effort in to raise their pups well.

what surprises me is just how rude and condescending you and Jed are being. Well Jed doesn't surprise me but you do. When people are told they would be awful owners just because they work full time, then you can expect them to rise up. It was a blanket statement and you've taken it and run with it as well. Do you really think the objectors don't know what can happen if the dogs are neglected? Of course they do that's why they put the effort in to raise their pups well.

What surprises me is how rude everyone else has been.

My replies on this thread are my thoughts. I am allowed to voice my opinion am I not. They all have.

From the sounds of it many objectors wouldn't care

At least in my breeds there are some people that do care and screen their buyers carefully. This does not happen in a lot of cases.

People should be judged on their own merit.

If people work I would ask what provision was in place for the pup during the day early on.

( I was paid by a neighbour to go in everyday and play with their pup outside and feed him for 6 weeks at lunchtime), perhaps this idea could be suggested.

Education is the key, turning people down with a blanket statement only reinforce's the theory that breeders are just snobs.

On the other side people can tell you any old crap to get a pup, you don't know if they drop the dog at their parents or take it to work with them.