Bike Riding With Dogs

Jimmay

Does anyone here go bike riding with their dog running alongside?

I go for short rides with my boy Tyson, he absolutely LOVES it but usually can't keep up for too long and I usually end up stopping because I don't want to push him too hard. Poor boy isn't built for running I don't think. :laugh:

I'm assuming breeds like huskies would me more suited to that sort of a thing? And working breeds such as cattle dogs? The reason I ask is when I get another dog in the future i'd like to consider a breed that I could go for long bike rides with.

If you do go riding with your dogs i'd love to know what breeds they are and what distance you go. :)

I used to when my dog was younger, she isnt a breed but has a large % of wild dog / dingo in her.

Distances I didnt really count, it was time, so roughly 15 mins then a rest break then 15 mins then break etc. Just going to different places on our circuit. some could be 5k's or 20 or anything really.

Hi Jimmay,

Yes I do it often. I bought the springer bike attachment to do it more safely and its great. Makes it a lot easier and safer. My husband is a metal worker and he made his own version which is more like the walk-dog bike attachment.

Our two dogs that we take biking are a show-line border collie and a cocker spaniel x fox terrier. We try to mostly stay on the grass on the side of the road. I don't like them running on the hard hot surfaces too much, especially when it's hot and sunny. But we mostly go late afternoon and evening. We are lucky to have a huge park with a big flat grassy area and I take them up and down that a lot. We also have a lot of bike paths and most our rides would be for about 30-40 minutes and cover probably about 7klm (estimate). We have worked up to that - originally 10 minutes of running was plenty. We go at a trot speed with occasional faster bursts on the flat grassy areas. It tires them out well. My border collie had elbow dysplasia as a pup and has had an operation. All good now and no signs of lameness but we have to keep an eye on it. He is not like your typical border collie. My spaniel has a lot more energy and goes faster for longer.

I also have a 7 month old belgian malinois who is too young for long rides, but have started doing very short and slow goes on the grass with her to get her used to it.

My shelties love to go bike riding with us. They would do about 7 Kms . My boy loves it and would go much further if given the chance. His mum who is now a little on the podgy side would only do about 4 kms. Usually the oh goes with me and we take anywhere fom 2 to 4 shelties with us.

My shelties love to go bike riding with us. They would do about 7 Kms . My boy loves it and would go much further if given the chance. His mum who is now a little on the podgy side would only do about 4 kms. Usually the oh goes with me and we take anywhere fom 2 to 4 shelties with us.

My GSDs love it - I've done the ET with 2 of them. The springer attachment for the bike makes it so easy. 6km, which is the distance around our local lake, is usually a good easy distance for my dogs I've found

Yep, our 15 kilo Lab x bikes. We built him up to 5k's. He could go longer though but he's carrying a little extra weight so we want to keep it reasonable. The more you bike them the fitter they get...a curse lol

Half gaiting and half full speed which he loves. Just got him a harness which I think is safer than a collar if something sudden were to happen.

Our Dane is 6 months old and he walks beside the bike and goes around the park once in a gait so he can get used to it so when he's old enough he can start biking too.

Edited by sas

We do it often. The trick is to stick between around 8-13kph. I use a wrist GPS that I attach to my bike, but you know if your dog is not coping with the speed.

Build it up slowly and make sure the dog is trotting and not galloping. If your dog has to gallop to keep up, then you are going too fast, not that is anything wrong with galloping but it is not a gait that the dog will sustain for any great lengths and is not as good for the dog.

The average healthy adult dog of the majority of breeds should be able to gait alongside a bike for at least 2km without any real fitness training.

A reasonably fit dog should be able to do at least 4km.

Much more distance than that can take considerable training, building up and keeping your dog cardio fit.

Every dog is different and just play individual fitness by ear.

We like to keep our dogs at a fitness level of easily being able to do around 4km at an average of 9-11kph and we build them up for ETs, Agility trials and specialty shows.

Biking dogs is loads of fun :thumbsup:

My GSDs love it - I've done the ET with 2 of them. The springer attachment for the bike makes it so easy. 6km, which is the distance around our local lake, is usually a good easy distance for my dogs I've found

Hi Ish, I've just got myself a bike (after 20 years of not riding one) and I love it. I would love to take my girl biking with me as we have lots of bike paths around where I live. My dog is a rottiexdobe and is around 34 kgs. Does the springer attachment work if the dog pulls suddenly - that is my fear that she will lunge at something and then I will come crashing to the ground. My aim is to eventually enter the ET with her.

I won't use a Springer or any other attachment.

I hold the lead and find this a lot safer. I trust my grip and find myself adjusting it through the trip. I can also communicate with my dog better having this contact and control.

I think it comes down to being a personal thing, what works best for you.

Edited by dyzney

I used to have Hank on a leash and he was pretty good at a tongue click for turn right and waving my left hand for left turn. Good idea until I was riding with a friend and accidentally pointed at a house on the left side.