So Why Are Breeders Reluctant To Advertise Where There Is A Demand For

SwaY

I get sick of hearing the "good breeders only breed when they need a puppy" and all that crap, too. Where are good quality pets and working dogs going to come from if good quality breeders don't breed them? As many reg breeders here have said, puppies could be sold many times over, maybe more good puppies need to be bred to help satisfy customer demand. Many people just want a nice pet and when they can't find one from a reg breeder they will take the next best thing (and many don't even know why a reg breeder is the place to go) from a pet shop or byb

depends on the breed of course.

I only breed when I want a puppy.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think it stems from a misapprehension that responsible breeders shouldn't be advertising alongside their less ethical number because they are somehow "better" than that.

Poor standards aren't like cooties - they aren't catching.

Of course, one reason some breeders don't advertise a great deal is they don't have to. An ad here can be all it takes to sell a litter.

+ 1 had 20 emails and phone calls with 2 weeks sold all 8 of the 9, had to re-advertise one at 7 weeks took 3 hours for 5 people to call.

My breed is very common so everyone on the waiting lists already had a puppy, and there are many good golden breeders out there so I'm glad people were able to find a good pet. But I'm also thankful to Dol for being a great site to advertise puppies. There is less freak outs on the price and no i'm looking for a boy for my girl or visa versa.

I advertised my last litter on a couple of sites last time and there were a lot more time wasters who freak on the price, and backyard breeders expecting to have one of my pups to breed with their golden, poodle or cocker. they also try to negotiate, can i have it for less without papers cause they made that deal with breeder of their last dog. I tell them papers cost around the $40 for each pup so no i will not sell off the register. then I get the "for f*ck sake it just a dog as they hang up"

I won't bother ever looking elsewhere to advertise other then Dol.

I get sick of hearing the "good breeders only breed when they need a puppy" and all that crap, too. Where are good quality pets and working dogs going to come from if good quality breeders don't breed them? As many reg breeders here have said, puppies could be sold many times over, maybe more good puppies need to be bred to help satisfy customer demand. Many people just want a nice pet and when they can't find one from a reg breeder they will take the next best thing (and many don't even know why a reg breeder is the place to go) from a pet shop or byb

But nobody should be frowning on breeders who choose to have one or two litters a year and providing good quality pet puppies or show prospects to the public rather than only breeding every few years for a prospect for themselves.

There are just not enough good quality breeders in my opinion. Nor puppies.

But nobody should be frowning on breeders who choose to have one or two litters a year and providing good quality pet puppies or show prospects to the public rather than only breeding every few years for a prospect for themselves.

There are just not enough good quality breeders in my opinion. Nor puppies.

Partly cause not everybody is breeding the popular breeds. If there is a shortage of cav's for instance, there is no way I am suddenly going to buy a couple and start breeding them. And nor should I as they are not my type of dog. But I have no problem with an ethical registered breeder, doing all the health testing their breed should have, supplying good quality pet pups. If I had the homes for my breed I might do the same.

Reputable breeders don't need to advertise on those sites as they have people lining up and waiting for pups.

What a load of rubbish. Next you'll say you should only breed when you have a full waiting list and some spares.

Not always so I'm sure. Who is to say a wait list determines your quality as a breeder? I know lots of people have posted on here they don't keep a wait list these days, or some breeds are less or overly common and easy to come by. What a silly blanket statement that is!

Not always so I'm sure. Who is to say a wait list determines your quality as a breeder? I know lots of people have posted on here they don't keep a wait list these days, or some breeds are less or overly common and easy to come by. What a silly blanket statement that is!

I'm not sure if you are replying to me but in my experience the people who say you shouldn't advertise on places like Gumtree do usually follow it up with you shouldn't be breeding if you don't have plenty of homes lined up.

Reputable breeders don't need to advertise on those sites as they have people lining up and waiting for pups.

What a load of rubbish. Next you'll say you should only breed when you have a full waiting list and some spares.

Rubbish :laugh: Thanks for that, but typical posting from you I guess. I know many breeders who have quite a few bitches they breed regularly and have no problems finding homes for the pups. Breed clubs and dogzonline are all the advertising they need. I am sure they would use the trading post etc. if need be, but nobody I know needs to resort to that.

I would also prefer that you don't put words in my mouth. How is your statement bolded above different from saying what you said earlier?

I only breed when I want a puppy

Rubbish :laugh: Thanks for that, but typical posting from you I guess. I know many breeders who have quite a few bitches they breed regularly and have no problems finding homes for the pups. Breed clubs and dogzonline are all the advertising they need. I am sure they would use the trading post etc. if need be, but nobody I know needs to resort to that.

:rofl: My breed doesn't even have a breed club.

:rofl: My breed doesn't even have a breed club.

:confused: why is that funny?

cause you said all your breeder friends only needed their breed club and their DOL listing to sell their pups. So it makes it a bit harder for me when I don't have a breed club, nor a popular breed, or I too could be selling plenty of pups every year.

And if I were Jo public visiting this forum for information and advice from pedigree breeders I am seeing first hand why so many just go to a pet shop :mad

Yep.

Why is it having to "resort" to advertising in newspapers etc? Are certain breeders above the great unwashed who buy these publications? Dear me :laugh:

to my post earlier I won't advertise anywhere else because a litter of 9 pups via c-section where mum is too tired or sore to toilet evry pup so for the first 3 weeks that becomes my job to ensure she feeds the and gets better,

I spend hours talking to puppy buyers trying to find out what they want and trying to watch my litter grow to find out what they need in a family.

I do not have the time to take 15 calls a day and spend an hour going over the temperament of my dogs and the tests that I have done to have some jerk start tellin me that they got there other dog $200 cheaper with no papers and they want the same deal!!!!!!!

I don't give a stuff if that person goes to a petshop,

I am raising 3 children under 10 my partner works away 2 out of 3 weeks and I raise a very nice litter (my mentor told me so, and that she was happy she took a chance on me biggrin.gif ) Best compliment one could ask for. I don't have time to deal with those people. Anyone serious about wanting to know about my dogs and what I do I have hours for. I don't breed for backyarders and their quick buck, I don't breed to throw a couple cheap off register, And I'm not sorry about trying to prevent my time getting wasted when I have little of it. If that means avoiding Norwegian owned gumtree, or some other country's site then so be it. I believe if another breeder wants to then thumbsup1.gif. But I have a very easy breed to home and it is not needed so won't be done.

Besides it is easy enough to find DOL, google puppies for sale and it comes up, If i have some available my number is seen, they don't have to put in some stupid code to see it.

Edited by Angeluca

So Angeluca where all your enquires from DOL good ones? Cause I got a couple of doozies with my last litter from my DOL listing. And tyre kickers. And only 3 enquiries from Gumtree, none any good.

about 95% i'd say,

Last litter i had a 2 from dol how said they were coming out from bris, I live 2 and a half hours out and I'd call them back an hour after they were due and they said they went with someone close, i assume to embarrassed to let me know. And 1 that was chasing a boy for her breeding program but got very very grumpy and threatened legal action against my mentor when i spoke to my mentor and we decided that our lines didn't match the number of different ones she had. but those are the ones that get past emails. i get quite a few 1 contact emails which i copy and past all basic info including price and if they are interested they email or call back. Those people i don't mind it didn't take me 5 mins to respond to them.

compared to a bout 2-3 calls daily from haggles or people who get annoyed when I tell them I won't sell them a dog they intend to breed. (I love caller Id).

Another thing I noticed was even tho the price was stated not negotiable, they still thought they could try. The ones who used i won't have the money by that time o ffered to keep until they paid it off, but wasn't quite what they wanted. And kids or wives ring get all the details request emailed pictures then have to ask the husband or parents.

This litter I have had about 10 one off emails, and 2 pull out after paying a deposit 1 because she didn't like not choosing and another breeder said it was her dog her right. and the other was just after 6 weeks of waiting due to a relationship breakdown, 2 days before xmas which was sad for them. he had booked the flight to tazzy to so he was way out of pocket and hasn't contacted me for his refund frown.gif.

I find a big difference with both litters is last was my maiden so i had nothing to show, I kept a girl from last litter and she is available with mum to view.

Did you have people chasing a pup they could breed with to get height or speed in their pigging BA???