Glucose For Pregnant Bitches

Bullbreedlover

My girl is due next week. She is rather huge and is very lethargic(who wouldn't be in this heat) She is eating 4 to 5 meals a day and still has a good appetite but just wondering if she would benefit from some Glucodin for the next few days to increase her energy levels.

I have it handy for her for after babies have arrived but has anyone given it before hand.

Do you think I need to bother?

She has always been a bitch that hasn't liked much exercise but I make sure she goes for a walk around the yard.

Just looking for some suggestions please.

We have only ever used Glucose after they have whelped.

Must admit having never used any form of glucose - pre or post whelping . maybe a teaspoonful during a slow whelping - so I cannot advise.

Is this a first litter? How old is she ? Is she normally kept fit & trim? Is this a really unusual behaviour?

I'm afraid I would be walking her very early in the morning , when it's cool , so she has some muscle tone /circulation to help when she whelps ..she perhaps may even need to shed some fat? Just suggestions, obviously ..I have no idea of what she is like.

Edited by persephone

Having not heard of this before I did some research. It seems that although some dogs do get pregnancy diabetes & require glucose supplement its not too common a problem so unless you have had previous issues with this or can test for it without undue stress to your dog (home monitor ?)

I personally wouldn't but its your decision.

Just her being in late pregnancy, being huge & not an athletic type breed would make her feel lethargic anyway. Let alone the horrible heat we have been having.I am letharagic in it.

Most are not energetic at this stage. Forget exercise & worrying about her weight now because it won't make any difference to anything at this stage. That can all be sorted out after the birth.

Good luck. Here's hoping she has an easy & non stressful birth & a lovely litter that we will be seeing photos of in a few weeks.

Edited by Christina

Having not heard of this before I did some research. It seems that although some dogs do get pregnancy diabetes & require glucose supplement its not too common a problem so unless you have had previous issues with this or can test for it without undue stress to your dog (home monitor ?)

I personally wouldn't but its your decision.

Just her being in late pregnancy, being huge & not an athletic type breed would make her feel lethargic anyway. Let alone the horrible heat we have been having.I am letharagic in it.

Most are not energetic at this stage. Forget exercise & worrying about her weight now because it won't make any difference to anything at this stage. That can all be sorted out after the birth.

Good luck. Here's hoping she has an easy & non stressful birth & a lovely litter that we will be seeing photos of in a few weeks.

Thanks Christina.

No she hasn't had any previous issues and I just wanted to see whether anyone else has supplemented.

It is very hot. She had a good night last night so was a bit more settled and today she has actually had a bit more energy. Her weight is good(for a Bulldog :-)

Gone off her food today but that's cause we need to get some more bbq chicken :laugh: (she had the last of it yesterday)

..ahh .. being what she is - I guess the heat would have much more effect :(

Hope all goes well.

Thanks Persephone

We only have a portable aircon and we have set that up in our room, so all she is doing is going out to the toilet and making a beeline straight back to the room.

She is doing OK with the heat as such and loves her cool coats. My big Bulldog also makes tracks to be down there too! They are so funny.

And then we have our Great Dane who also thinks he should be under the aircon as well.

I guess I may be overly concerned. Am sure she will be fine.