Relocating To Sydney

ChewieTAG

Hi all,

We are relocating to Sydney for 2 years, from Melbourne. Having two shih tzu with me and thinking what should I be prepared with other than the ticks.

We will be driving all the way with them and would stop every 2 hours for break. I am worried about the insects, fleas, ticks that they are going to pick up whilst the travel. Also being in NSW, I understand now is peak tick season. frown.gif

I was searching through the forum for the preventative measure on ticks for both my long haired little beings. I came across Rose Geranium, Scalibar (not sure spelling) collar, Advantix, Frontline Spray and so on. Pity them, need to put through all those medication.

I also understand heart worm prevention is important in NSW, not too red alert in the area I am living in VIC.

I guess I would like to know what I should do with them before travelling and also living in Sydney area. I have not selected the suburb to stay in but most probably either inner west or Chatswood and it's surrounding.

I might also need to get some good vet list. I did do a search in the forum but almost all threads seems to be 2009 or earlier....

Any ideas / recommendation would be great appreciated.

Thank you smile.gif

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Firstly - your dogs will need to have a blood test BEFORE starting a heartworm preventative - as it can be very dangerous if worms are present in teh heart, and medication kills them .

I cannot help with best tick prevention , or much else , sorry.

If you stop at truckstops along the way - the dogs should not have any problem with fleas etc :)

Hope the vet records go with you as well-

happy moving!

Firstly - your dogs will need to have a blood test BEFORE starting a heartworm preventative - as it can be very dangerous if worms are present in teh heart, and medication kills them .

I cannot help with best tick prevention , or much else , sorry.

If you stop at truckstops along the way - the dogs should not have any problem with fleas etc :)

Hope the vet records go with you as well-

happy moving!

thanks @persephone

if I routinely gave them the all round wormer such as Sentinel - every 3 months, I suppose, they are clear of heart worm?

Edit: I mean I do routinely deworm them 3 months once

Edited by chewak

You don't need to stop every 2 hrs on the drive just for the dogs .If they are asleep & comfy just leave them & keep driving.

I have done that trip often & we stop once ,twice if required & thats usually combined with a petrol stop the dogs are curled up asleep so we sooner just get to the other end thnt stop get them out try to resettle & then the trip takes forever & they get more feed up & everyone tired .

When we stop we haven't picked up anything & i don't flea/tick treat .

I would suggest discussing heartworm with your current vet & get there records if there is a history ,

Make sure there tags have a contact number & if microchipped don't forget to change the details .

You need to be aware that NSW uses a completely different (government run) microchip registry, which your dog will not be listed on.

When you decide on where you're living contact the local Council with your dog's microchip number and they will be able to give you the necessary forms to get him listed on the NSW registry.

You don't need to stop every 2 hrs on the drive just for the dogs .If they are asleep & comfy just leave them & keep driving.

I have done that trip often & we stop once ,twice if required & thats usually combined with a petrol stop the dogs are curled up asleep so we sooner just get to the other end thnt stop get them out try to resettle & then the trip takes forever & they get more feed up & everyone tired .

When we stop we haven't picked up anything & i don't flea/tick treat .

I would suggest discussing heartworm with your current vet & get there records if there is a history ,

Make sure there tags have a contact number & if microchipped don't forget to change the details .

Ok thanks for the tips on the stops. We might see how we go and if the dogs gets restless then perhaps we can stop for them.

I have colleague saying to give them travelling pills. Not sure what or where to get it.

You need to be aware that NSW uses a completely different (government run) microchip registry, which your dog will not be listed on.

When you decide on where you're living contact the local Council with your dog's microchip number and they will be able to give you the necessary forms to get him listed on the NSW registry.

Thanks for that! Yes I nearly forgot about it. Will do once decided the place

I have colleague saying to give them travelling pills. Not sure what or where to get it.

If they are used to the car and don't usually get car sick I don't see why they would need medication, it is not that huge a trip.

They don't need pills unless they get car sick .

Just use common sense when traveling ,if traveling in summer leave early ,make sure there are window shades but good travelers travel well .

Just ensure you have water,bowl & poo bags in the car .

I use sentinel every month for my dog and if I go to a tick area will put Advantix on her a few days before. If you are living in the inner city you should be fine and probably don't need to treat for ticks. Alot of the ticks are in the bush and beach areas so if you are going out to these areas I would be putting on the advantix several days beforehand.

A big YES to this. Causes awful confusion for 'other Staters' who don't know about the NSW microchip registry.

And happy moving!

Inner West is more dog friendly than lower North Shore (Chatswood etc) in my experience, especially when it comes to dog parks, dog friendly parks, dog friendly people, etc but they are vastly different area so it depends what you're looking for.

I've lived in both (currently an Inner Westie, but was a lower North Shorite for ages, in St Leonards).

As for travelling, I've done Sydney to Melbourne with the pugs (the coast rd, so the long way) and I stopped mostly when I got restless, they slept and I had to wake them for pee breaks! I had window shades up for them but found they annoyed my side vision too much and I couldn't see properly, but there are probably better ones - mine were an afterthought we bought on the way.

Flea, tick, heartworm in Sydney, yes. Frontline is pretty much useless here, most vets say the fleas have become immune to it - not sure if that's true but it's rare to find Frontline works on a dog very effectively in metro Sydney.

I use Advantix and Interceptor Spectrum.

Depends on what area you end up in as to vets, and if you want a local vet or happy to travel. Not far from Chatswood is one of the main 24hr/emergency vets in Sydney, SASH. And another in Homebush (ARH) which isn't a huge distance from the Inner West (depending where you are, as the "Inner West" is actually a pretty spread out area).

Ditto on the microchip thing - go to your local council and pick up a form (make sure you have the right microchip numbers on hand). It takes like 2 seconds and will be in the system in a few weeks.

Fleas and ticks - Advantix every 2 weeks. There have been some cases of Advantix not working for fleas, especially if it's a bad infestation. If that's the case, I recommend Comfortis too. Frontline is useless for ticks and fleas. Even the frontline spray takes a few days to kill ticks which is a long time if we're dealing with an animal with tick paralysis.

As an aside, we're getting looots of complaints about flies these last few weeks. I've found that spraying some Permoxin on the dogs before a walk does wonders to see them off. I like having Permoxin on hand too in case I go bushwalking with the dogs - I give them a heavy spray and it kills all ticks from every life stage. But if you have a cat, don't use that stuff.

I used to live in Nth Sydney and recommend 4 Paws vets if you're living in Chatswood... although that depends on where in the suburb you're located. If you're closer to Willoughby then it's only a short drive, as is the 24hr North Shore vets (in St. Leonards).

There are a few really great dog parks a short drive away from Chatswood - Primrose Park and Tunks. They're unfenced and massive, but a few snakes have been spotted in the vicinity.

Ticks aren't everywhere but snakes seem to be! Learn to walk heavy!

We use Advocate monthly with comfortis in the fortnight during high season for fleas (now). There's a good tick spray we travel with (cant remember the name), but nothing is as good as a fingertip search and knowing the early symptoms of tick paralysis.

Wherever you land in Sydney there will be several vets around so let us know when you get here and a local can give some advice.