If I Were A Dog

Little Gifts

If I were a dog a potential new owner would need to know:

- I shed long hair everywhere and need to be groomed daily.

- I'm crap at ball games and have short, useless legs so don't waste your money taking me to agility classes.

- Sometimes I need alone time in my crate. It's not you, it's me.

- I like lots and lots of toys but do look after them and will tidy up behind myself.

- I can't stand the same food day in and day out. And if I don't eat it the first time don't bother trying to feed it to me again.

- I wriggle a lot in bed. Sometimes I like to stretch out and other times I like to curl into a ball. Deal with it.

- I like all kinds of different animals. But not snakes, big spiders or snooty cats and especially not in my backyard!

- If it's hot I expect the air conditioning on. If it is cold stick the heater on high!

- I like to go for drives in the car. I also like going to the beach.

- I don't like doing anything that takes a long time. This includes baths and walks.

- I can't be bothered barking at nothing but would like to tell you all about my day.

- Even though I'm quite social I'd prefer to be an only dog. And I like other people's kids but like it better when they go home.

- I don't want to know about all the dogs you had before me.

- Don't use baby talk on me and don't feed me loads of treats then call me chunky! How rude.....

- I understand if you need to stick photos of me up around the house and have me on your FB page and phone. I look good!

- I'd also like to add that I give excellent cuddles and kisses but I am not a random humper!

- My pedigree is not good enough to want to breed with me so desexing me is fine.

- I'd currently be considered mature aged but plan on living to be really, really old so we still have years of fun together!

- You might sometimes need to check my sanity but you will never ever need to question my loyalty.

I just thought of another very important point:

- If I need a tablet you will need to master the art of peanut butter sandwich making and squishing it in amongst the crushed nuts so I will eat it.

Edited by Little Gifts

I'm a farm dog, please let me be outside a lot. I want to dig, play in mud and gallop around.

I'm smooth coated but please rinse me off regularly because I want to be clean and I want to snuggle in bed and on the couch with you.

I want a doggie friend to hoon around with and I'm good with little critters but I'm not overly fond of cats.

Please be kind to me, I'm a gentle dog and I try hard. If I don't get it right the first time it's because I didn't understand.

I dont want to go in the car a lot and I'm not big on strangers but I like walks and once I know people I can be very friendly.

I'm pretty much a slightly shy boofhead.

- I'm long haired but pretty easy to maintain, just a daily brush and regular trims.

- I'm friendly and like meeting people and especially other dogs when I'm out but I'd prefer to live in a quiet household where I can have my own space

- I like other animals and creatures and usually look at them with interest or gently move them but I don't like slimy ones like slugs, eeww

- I'm trainable but independent and strong willed so if what you want me to do doesn't make sense to me I probably won't do it. Oh and I get bored easily doing the same thing over and over so if you keep throwing a ball expecting me to being it back I will pretty quickly get over it and tell you to get it yourself.

- I am not an active breed, I'm quite happy to spend lots of time lazing around and will not make a good running companion!

- I haven't had any litters but I'm not desexed yet :laugh:

- best not to leave bags of treats where I can access them, I'll probably eat the whole packet except for the last two which I'll leave for next time and then not feel like again until they've gone stale and have to be thrown out...

I'm old and pedantic so don't try to shift me off the couch

I'm happy to plod around the neighbourhood with you

Don't get me up too early though and I don't like getting my feet wet from heavy dew or rain

Please don't take me out in the blazing sun

Must have access to drink :D :D even water from time to time

More than happy to laze around the house, but love getting into the garden too

I've never been good at sports, but an occasional jog is okay

I'm easy to feed, but can be a bit of a guts

I don't shed and have easy care hair and cut

No previous litters and well passed it :(

I'm easy to medicate, but don't have any ailments except old age

Good with meeting people, but keep it short

I think I am a Malamute!

I work better in a team than alone as it brings me more motivation, I'm comfortable in a leadership role and making decisions but I'm happy to go with my leader's decisions, as long as they are knowledgable and decisive, and be a workhorse to get the job done, but I am strong willed...and I'm too lazy to be a Husky!

Mind you, my knowledge of working sled dog teams mostly comes from the movie 8 Below (great movie :thumbsup: ) :o

LG, I'm not sure what you are...maaaaybe a Corgi...oh, or a Dachshund - the short legs are influencing me - but I think most likely a one of a kind special one :D

Edited by Simply Grand

I am a sensitive soul who loves cuddles - treat me with kindness and I will reward you with complete loyalty

I am eager to please and food motivated - which makes me a pleasure to train

I am sociable and happy to share my home with another dog (of the opposite sex)

I love a nice warm bath but don't cope well in hot weather

I am allergic to cats

Edited by Zug Zug

I love my home comforts - so a soft bed is a must

I am pretty high maintenance coat wise - need regular visits tot he groomer but don't shed much.

I am happy to go out for walks and love to visit new places - and new people

I like kids but also like to have a space I can go to when I need some space

I like to talk

Food motivated but have a tendency to overeat

Love having baths

-I have medium length hair but I am low maintenance

-I am happy to chill around sometimes, but I will go crazy if I am not out doing stuff most of the time

-I like heat, room temp is too cold, and I hate AC.

-if you want me to do something, show me what you want, don't give me clues and make me guess, that will just make me hate you.

-I am a good, fair leader but if you or anyone else is more assertive, I wont fight it, I am just as happy to follow.

-I love all animals

-I am shy. with friends I am fun,playful and goofy, but don't expect me to say hi to strangers.

-I have several irrational fears, don't patronize me, but trying to give me positive associations is not gonna help either. you wanna to take me to the vet for check up or shots or anything, I suggest a muzzle and sedation because I will shred you and the vet if you lay a hand on me.

-I am routine orientated, don't make plans with me then randomly cancel, those irrational fears? cause me to need to psych myself up for everything, if I build myself up, then you cancel abruptly I will have a mental breakdown.

-I am a picky eater, I don't like variety and I don't like exotic flavours

-if you try to starve me into eating something I don't like, I will starve.

Edited by cali

I am high maintenance,Difficult to deal with and obstinate.

I can get fixated on something and not see reason.

I will give you my heart and soul for a cause if it is something I believe in.

I am not easy to train unless it is something I want to be trained in.

I am loyal.

I am easily hurt emotionally

I will (and do) eat the same thing day in, day out for months at a time.

I am a broken OCD, Type A personality so just because I can't do something at the moment doesn't mean it doesn't bug the hell out of me.

I am becoming highly social phobic so whilst I need social interaction it makes me sick.

I will go to the vet, follow instructions for medications but once I am over being poked and prodded I will bite. Good luck muzzling me when this intolerance is reached.

-I'm long coated and require daily grooming and regular maintenance baths

-I'm active and require a good deal of exercise both mental and physical or I get destructive and loud

-I'm not fond of physical attention. I'd rather just hang out near you

-I'm vocal and enjoy a good howl

-Summers are hard on me. I'm a creature of winter

-I'm very independent, dominant and difficult to train

If I do something for you it's because I like you. However I am very loyal to my chosen family

-I get along with other animals but please, no cats

-I'm generally very friendly but only form a close bond to a small number of people. I'm also more comfortable with the opposite sex

-I'm ok with children but my tolerance for them isn't high

-I'm known to roam. High fences are required

-I adaptable to city or country living but prefer the latter

Lol totally a spitz attitude

Edited by Bjelkier

^ mita, I think you may be a cat

You're very perceptive, sunny! I'm a Tibetan Spaniel ... & that breed is described as having a nature that's 1/3 dog, 1/3 cat & 1/3 monkey.

Description from the site for international breeders:

The TS is a highly intelligent animal that will bond very closely with you, but it will not be your obedient servant, and it will be convinced (perhaps correctly) that in most circumstances it knows better than you.

Hence, the one-line manual. :)

Edited by mita

Hmm...

Low maintenance, if there's nothing happening I'm happy to veg. If something's happening I'll be most put out if I miss out. I love road trips. And cafes. And the beach.

I'm long haired but don't usually need too much more than a brush once a day. I like showers. I like food. I need a pretty strict diet - I'm a rather good doer...

More happy by myself, don't like loud noises or barking dogs or rowdy kids laugh.gif

Bark's worse than my bite. biggrin.gif

I'm pretty low maintenance with a shortish coat that doesn't shed much, although if I'm in the one position for too long my fur will stick up in interesting ways, so keep a brush handy if I'm going out in public.

I prefer exploring new places rather than a daily walk on the same streets so make sure I get plenty of off leash time in bushlands, the beach etc etc

At home I'm quiet content to curl up inside for most of the day but make sure I get plenty of toilet breaks, especially if I've been drinking a lot of water

I'm happy to live with another dog but need my alone time as well.

I'm all for cuddles on the couch but if I'm asleep please leave me alone, a girl needs her beauty sleep after all :p

I like to meet new people however I prefer to do that one person at a time otherwise I can get overwhelmed and will likely retreat to my safe space

I'm also allergic to a lot of things so as my owner it's your job to keep me away from any irritants, like cats, I'm really allergic to cats